Blatant Brewery coming to CT

Discussion in 'New England' started by CTBeerPope, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2012 Connecticut

Looks like by the end of August Blatant will be here in CT. Ive had the Session and IPA and both were good. Cheers!

2. TheLostGringo

TheLostGringo Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Connecticut

Based on their website info and their 2 offerings listed. Meh...

I do not have a lot of faith in co's not brewing their own beer really bringing much interesting to the table.

I am sure there will be various responses to tell me of beers/Co's where I am wrong.

3. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Not to venture into the gray areas of contract/gypsy/alternating prop brewing, but I believe Blatant's arrangement is the same as Pretty Things.

4. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

They're an OK brewery. Nothing that gets me really excited when I see it on at a bar, but also nothing terrible. I wouldn't go out of my way to get their stuff.

Horbar likes this.
  5. jamvt

jamvt Savant (1,126) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

I really enjoy blatant ipa.

Robtobfest likes this.
  6. paddyfitz

paddyfitz Aspirant (250) May 28, 2007 Massachusetts

Their brewer is a great guy and a great brewer. He was hired as the first brewer of Mayflower. He came from Offshore Ales in MV. I wish they could package and sell 6 packs and be more competitive with similar type beers in a more affordable format.

DrewShal9 and jazzmac like this.
  7. jomobono

jomobono Savant (1,114) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

A nice IPA and a nice $5-6 price point on 22oz bottles.

8. woosterbill

woosterbill Pooh-Bah (2,733) Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah

Yessir, nothing like paying the equivalent of $16.36 - $19.64 per sixpack for a single IPA. I'll likely stick with $9 sixpacks of fresh Sea Hag...which would be $2.75 for a bomber.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize that the convenience of getting to try a beer without investing in six bottles is worth a premium, and that bombers are great for sharing with a friend or two. I just don't see why $6 for a bomber of single IPA gets praised as a good deal, when other IPAs are available for literally half the price.

Cheers!

Robtobfest, sandman3479 and Horbar like this.
  9. jomobono

Well, that escalated quickly. You're favorite beer must be Maine Beer Co.

Do what's right.

dfecteau likes this.
  10. woosterbill

Pooh-Bah

Ha ha, no escalation intended. Just some light-hearted bemusement over how perceptions of value have gotten so skewed when it comes to bombers. Cheers!

11. jomobono

I guess, I don't know, people pay $5 for a friggin latte at Starbucks. Everything is more expensive.

Sesmu and jamvt like this.
  12. woosterbill

Pooh-Bah

Of course not, but I hate myself for getting ripped off, I don't thank the brewers for doing it to me. :slight_smile:

13. jomobono

I came from the wine world before I got to the beer world so I'm biased when it comes to beer pricing.

MyIronLung likes this.
  14. StraightSipper

StraightSipper Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2013

I'm with jomobono. I had enough lagavulin 12 year this weekend that I could of bought a log of sea hag. Beer is either well worth the cost or not worth it at all there's no in between for me.

MyIronLung and jomobono like this.
  15. woosterbill

Pooh-Bah

There's no doubt that high-end beer is an incredible deal compared to high-end wine, but I don't really consider a standard single IPA to be in the same league. As much as I love IPAs, I consider them to be a relatively undifferentiated product and therefore I'm loath to pay much above the going rate at which top-notch ones are available. When I can get my hop fix for $10/sixpack, why would I pay double that for a similar beer?

Being a sour fan, I'm guiltier than most when it comes to paying exorbitant prices for beers, but given my extravagancies on Lambics I feel all the more pressure to find value in everyday beers like IPAs...and $5 bombers simply aren't value when equally tasty stuff can be had for far less per ounce.

16. jomobono

Compared to six packs, yes $5 is not a good value. Compared to other 22oz beers it is a good value and I guess that is what I was trying to say. To be honest I don't buy much Blatant, just pointing out that they are not charging $10-$12 for a bomber, which is the real crime, not $5.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on IPAs being an undifferentiated product. I know you are in a six pack state of mind when it comes to IPAs and APAs, but I'm in a state of mind of highly complex beautiful citrusy APAs and IPAs and if I think the beer is worth it I'll pay whether it is in a six pack, bomber, growler or keg.

woosterbill likes this.
  17. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2012 Connecticut

Hey Im with u on the sticking with hag as my go to. I just wanted to let people know what I know. If I'm not mistaken there is some type of connection between Nebco and Blatant too, u will have to ask Matt but I know he brought it up once.

woosterbill and jomobono like this.
  18. woosterbill

Pooh-Bah

I don't disagree, and I'm certainly looking forward to trying Blatant's IPA and other offerings. It's just sad to me that even a relatively cheap bomber is nearly twice as expensive per ounce as a standard sixpack in the same style, and I fear that we'll only be seeing more of those $10-$12 bombers as more and more people start to see $5 as "cheap," $8 as "normal" and $10 as "premium," even for relatively simple styles like IPAs.

As far as the whole undifferentiated concept goes, I don't mean to say that there's no difference between any two given IPAs - obviously there are huge flavor variations, and the only way to enjoy everything the style has to offer is to try everything there is. I do believe, though, that many of the world's very best APAs/IPAs are available for the same general price of ~$10/sixpack, and there's no reason at all to make a repeat purchase of a beer in that style that costs significantly more.

Am I happy I tried a $10 bomber of Sculpin and an $8 bottle of Lunch? Of course, they were delicious. But why would I buy either again when I can get other IPAs for so much less? If you doubt that, take a look at the current #1 beers in each hoppy style: APA = Zombie Dust, $10/sixpack. IPA = NEBCO Fuzzy Baby Ducks (F*** Yeah, go NEBCO, btw), $10/growler = $11.25/sixpack. DIPA = Heady Topper, $3/pint = $13.50/sixpack.

Why pay more, when paying more clearly doesn't guarantee increased quality?

blckout20 and Horbar like this.
  19. woosterbill

Pooh-Bah

I suppose I should make it explicit that I am in no way trying to disparage Blatant or suggest that they are in any way charging unfair prices. The bomber market is clearly a separate ballgame from the sixpack market, and in the former they are clearly right in line with what passes for affordable.

I just have never been able to understand how the whole phenomenon of a separate market with entirely different pricing norms has come to pass when the ultimate end product is so clearly comparable or even identical. That's all.

CTBeerPope likes this.
  20. Horbar

Horbar Maven (1,397) Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Bomber revolt!!! We don't need your stinkin bombers!!

woosterbill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.