Blending Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 57md, May 18, 2019.

1. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,984) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

How do people feel about blending beers?

Sometimes, I'll just randomly blend two beers together from my fridge because they seem like they would be interesting together.

For example, I'm currently drinking a DFH Liquid Truth Serum blended with an SNPA and I am really enjoying it. After having a few Truth Serums, I thought "this needs to be tilted a bit more towards the malty side." So, I took my last can and blended it with an SNPA (I almost always have some of that around).

I was just wondering if other people do this or if I am kind of an outlier on this issue.

mikeinportc and Beer_Stan like this.
  2. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

It's your beer sir, do what you please. If people didn't we wouldn't have ever had the Black and Tan hybrids of former fame. I personally like to mix the Well's Banana Bread Ale with Rogue's Double Chocolate Stout and make a chocolate covered banana beer, cuz...hedonism.

Raj, dcotom, mikeinportc and 2 others like this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,219) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

One of my favourites was PBR and Tooths Sheaf Stout. The latter is not available to me anymore so I am sol.

nc41 and mikeinportc like this.
  4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,416) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Blending beer is tons of fun. It's one of the most obvious uses of the 'one of everything' type flights that some places offer. So many interesting flavors you can find. Mad River Brewing in northern CA has a whole menu of blends that is always evolving of their beers. Usually amounts to finding your own perfect balance of malt and hop

nc41, mikeinportc and Bitterbill like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,428) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Half and half’s are great, doesn’t have to be a classic Guinness over Harp.

Buckeye55, Bitterbill and mikeinportc like this.
  6. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,742) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I don't blend with the intent to reach a certain taste combo. However, when my wife and I are on a pub crawl we usually drink from a sampler flight to experience the brewery's beers. Knowing we have multiple breweries yet to visit that day, and to keep the alcohol low in out bodies, we frequently won't finish all of the beers in the flight but will mix the remaining beers into one glass to see what we get. We've been doing this for around 15 years, but have yet to discover the 'beer of the year' so we usually have a small sip for the teste experience and leave the rest behind.

#6 PapaGoose03, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    sharpski, dcotom, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  7. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,974) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I recently blended together a Schlenkerla Fastenbier and Märzen 50/50 and honestly thought the result was better than both of those on their own, a perfect combination of the sweet, malty richness of the Fastenbier and the more pronounced smokiness and grassy and herbal hop notes of the Märzen.

8. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,428) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I love when the lighter bottom beer breaks thru the layer of stout.

Steve_Studnuts likes this.
  9. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Take a bottle of Lindeman's Framboise to any house party to liven up any macros laying around if you're trying to drink on the cheap :rofl::rofl::rofl: You'll essentially be drinking Abita Purple Haze all night.

dcotom likes this.
  10. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,523) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I once blended SingleSpeed Coconut Migration (IIPA, 7.4% ABV, 75 IBU) with Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin (IPA, 7.0% ABV, 70 IBU). Result? The perfect Piña Colada IPA!

Another time, I used half a bottle of GL Edmund Fitzgerald and half a bottle of Ghost Face Killah in a batch of beer bread. I then blended the leftover beer to drink. Result? Back to the drawing board.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  11. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (8,474) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Did this a couple of years ago; mixed an Avery Nuttiest Professor Peanut Stout and an Atwater Decadent Dark Chocolate Brown Ale. I figured this would taste like a peanut butter cup. The nose is there, and the taste is pretty good too. Both beers have nutty taste. Not bad. If I could review this, I would give the nose a 4.50 and the taste a 4.25.

dcotom and PapaGoose03 like this.
  12. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,742) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Short's Brewing here in MIchigan makes a PB&J Stout by blending a peanut butter stout with a fruit rye ale. Although it's been years since I had it I recall that it was a good representation of a sandwich. https://www.shortsbrewing.com/beers/pbj-stout/

dcotom likes this.
  13. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Shorts is a very fun place to blend beers due to the sheer volume of different flavors they put out. My other favorite blending site is against the grain in Louisville

dcotom and PapaGoose03 like this.
  14. jzlyo

jzlyo Poo-Bah (2,315) Mar 4, 2012 Iowa
    Society

I do it most often with mixing sours with other styles, one example is if a sour has a strong passion fruit flavor I’ll mix it with a straight forward IPA to balance it.

dcotom likes this.
  15. not2quick

not2quick Zealot (516) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I just did a KBS/frambois blend the other night. Not bad.

Beer_Stan likes this.
  16. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,881) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

My favorite is Breakfast Stout and Rubeaus. But the other day I tried KBS with Blushing Monk. Both are amazing. If you ever find a place with both beers and at least one is on nitro, make the mix and thank me later.

dcotom likes this.
  17. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (566) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

No beer /beer other than the B&T or H&H of old.

Now I will add a little bourbon to a BBA stout. I always enjoy the first half of the bottle in the manner the brewer made it but sometimes like top 'freshen up" last part.

18. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (121) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

My friends and I once blended an Old Stock Ale with a Hennepin Saison and a Six-Point Resin, as we didn’t like all three on their own and that’s what we had on hand. It turned to be really balanced and drinkable, balancing all aspects of those beers.

19. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I've found that a healthy splash of a porter or lighter stout can work really well with your pre-joose ipas. There's just a wild world of possibilities out there

20. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (226) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

I do it all the time now.

One of my local breweries just discontinued their Schwarzbier. So I started blending their very flavorful light lager (4.2%) with their stout (6.6%) and it's quite a decent approximation of a 5.4% Schwarzbier.
    The lager brings a lightness and light herbal hop aroma and the stout brings enough roastiness.

I also have liked mixing IPAs and stouts.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  21. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Sure, if the Session IPA tastes like hop water toss in some High Gravity Malt Liquor.

22. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (452) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

When I was in college, I found out that a shot of Citron added to a Miller Lite is a refreshing way to get drunk quickly.

23. beer_beer

beer_beer Disciple (315) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

At this point blending beers wouldn't feel right for me. Didn't get into mixing whiskies when having it as a hobby neither. What can it be, overly respect?