Blending Beers: Share Your Experiments

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThisWangsChung, May 3, 2012.

1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,512) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Outside of black and tans I've never mixed beers, but it sounds interesting.
  2. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Aspirant (212) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I keep meaning to blend 1/2 BCBS with 1/2 KBS. I imagine that will be tasty.
    arlingtonjoe likes this.
  3. Soneast

Soneast Crusader (746) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I'll bet. Serendipity and BCBS is also an awesome blend.
    yamar68 likes this.
  4. jderosia603

jderosia603 Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2012 New Hampshire

We did 50/50 of Heady and PTE at a tasting. Wasn't any better than either of it's parts by themselves.
  5. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (849) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sam cherry wheat and southern tier choklat

But it would be better with new glarus
    JCam9981 likes this.
  6. JCam9981

JCam9981 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2011 North Carolina

1/2 Great Lakes Blackout Stout mixed with 1/2 He'Brew Jewbelation 16 - called it "Sammy Davis Jr." Pretty damn tasty - reminded me slightly of Hardywood Gingerbread Stout.
  7. ao125

ao125 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Virginia

I couple I've tried recently

Troeg's Java Head Stout w/ Troeg's Troegenator (aka The Javanator) - Good

Southern Tier Choklat w/ Southern Tier Pumking - Tasty in small doses, but cloyingly sweet.

2013 Boulevard Rye-on-Rye w/ 2012 Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout - Delicious

Hoff Ten Dormaal Barrel Project #2 (Cognac) w/ De Struise Black Albert - I was really drunk, but I remember it being a nice balance.

2004 Thomas Hardy w/ 2009 North Coast Old Stock Cellar Reserve - Mind-bendingly Delicious
  8. drinker36

drinker36 Initiate (0) May 19, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Neapolitan Beertail. Tried it after seeing it on Drinking Made Easy. Great Show and Great Drink!

From their website (attributed the Bier Baron Bar in DC):

Belgian White
    Chocolage Stout

-Mix Framboise and Belgian White into 2/3 of glass. Float Chocolate Stout on top.

This thread makes me think I want to try this one again with a Vanilla Stout and try to layer the 3.
  9. Zimm

Zimm Initiate (0) May 18, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Terrapin Moo Hoo Milk Chocolate Stout and Wake n Bake Imperial Coffee Oatmeal Stout. That combination is delicious!
  10. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Devotee (419) Feb 23, 2013 Minnesota

You're talking about the Coors Light, right?
    rhertan likes this.
  11. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

12. legend8706

legend8706 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2012 Virginia

Once we mixed Black Tuesday & White Chocolate to create a unique Black-n-tan and I must say that was one tasty concoction! Expensive to say the least but a good experience!
  13. Tmonk13

Tmonk13 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

3/4 Pumpking with 1/4 of FBS, Breckenridge Vanilla porter, ST Chocolat or ST Creme Bruele. all mighty tasty.
  14. epk

epk Initiate (146) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

Fun! I like it. I've done some framboise into each of those separately, but never have I made a half and half that way.
  15. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Disciple (351) May 29, 2012 Illinois

I've mixed Lindeman's Framboise with the Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout. It was pretty good, but I bet it would be better with a better framboise...
  16. Beerd_O

Beerd_O Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Michigan

Founders Breakfast Stout + Backwoods Bastard = Bastard's Breakfast.....its a favorite of my crew and it is excellent.
    jminch and deadonhisfeet like this.
  17. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

The other day I was mixing Widmer Drifter with homebrewed barleywine to make imperial red ale - that was pretty good.

Since I love Sucks and Flower Power, I figured it would make a great blend. It didn't, just cancelled out what was good about each beer.
  18. alex_hart

alex_hart Disciple (355) Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

It is my favorite mix I have tried to date. Definitely one you wont be disappointed in (i hope). cheers!
  19. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Never had either one, but that seems like a fantastic mixture! ... Did you add the coors light too? lol
  20. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I've only experimented using half ass beers, so the mixture has always turned out half ass.. For example: Full Sail "Imperial" Stout, and Monk's Cafe flemish red to get a sour imperial stout like Jester King Funk Metal. Funk Metal is delicious, but kinda pricey, so I tried to make a cheaper version. I'll stick to paying higher prices for higher quality from now on lol.
  21. MikeEhrmantraut

MikeEhrmantraut Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2012 Tennessee

50/50 Moohoo/Wake-N-Bake

Zimm likes this.
  22. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Poo-Bah (1,547) Apr 25, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Hoegaarden + splash of Lambic = Dirty Hoe

I'm completely serious
  23. DerekMorgan

DerekMorgan Disciple (372) Jan 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

2/3 Young's Double Chocolate Stout and 1/3 Lindeman's Kriek = Chocolate Covered Cherries
  24. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (520) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Victory's Storm King mixes pretty damn well with Hop Devil. I had someone at the bar suggest it one night (they had both on tap), so I decided to try it.

I've also had a chocolate stout mixed with a strawberry wheat of some sort (can't remember which breweries, as it was a few years ago), and that was quite good.

I don't typically mix, but it's fun to try from time to time.
  25. cwreay90

cwreay90 Aspirant (207) Nov 19, 2012 Texas

I went half and half with chimay blue and arrogant bastard ale because a friend told me it was awesome... not so much lol

BLACKENEDPLAGUE Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Ohio

Almost poured half and half into Dogfish's Sah'Tea
  27. eawolff99

eawolff99 Savant (961) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Had Evil Twin's Yin and Yang blended in the tap at Mikkeller's Bar in Copenhagen -- absolutely amazing! Any time I see them on the shelf I pick'em up and do it at home...tasty!
    MrRockstar likes this.
  28. randylangford

randylangford Zealot (574) Jun 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Dogfish Head 120 and WWS mixed 50/50 Awesome but i suggest only one.
    Gulden Draak and Gulden Draak Quad ... tastes like a great quad.
  29. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2011 New Jersey

i did epic sour apple saison with epic brainless on peaches a couple times now and have loved it.
  30. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

Mixed some Chimay Blue, with some Optimator, with some Torpedo, with a splash of High Life, once. In a .5 Binding Bier mug. Accidently on purpose, of course. It wasn't as bad as some of y'all would think. Wouldn't do it again, on purpose, but wasn't as bad as it sounds. Could have had sumpin' to do with my proximity to good music on me Itunes, coupled w/ me family gathered close and dear, tho. Nobody liked the sips, but me.
  31. LVbeernoob

LVbeernoob Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

I did a blending of Breakfast Stout with BCBS... closest I'm getting to KBS this year. I thought it got pretty damn good but I've only recently started venturing into the depths of craft beer. I'm sure to some altering Bourbon County is sacrilegious.
  32. GottaHaveMyHops

GottaHaveMyHops Initiate (139) Mar 14, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Have one bottle of each left... Remarkable enough to do the same??
  33. mellowmark

mellowmark Aspirant (263) Mar 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Breakfast Stout and Hopslam. Never again.
  34. GottaHaveMyHops

GottaHaveMyHops Initiate (139) Mar 14, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Was that on a bet?
  35. LiquidDegenerate

LiquidDegenerate Aspirant (225) Nov 22, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Heady and Abrasive 50/50 blend. Sum greater than parts, amazing.
    GottaHaveMyHops likes this.
  36. Rogorama

Rogorama Disciple (335) Sep 4, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

blended kbs and cbs last year at DLD and it was wonderful.
  37. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (463) Feb 19, 2013 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

Murda'd Out Stout + 2011 Dark Lord

Good lord
  38. Captstrapper

Captstrapper Initiate (157) Nov 19, 2011 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I'm by myself and I had Pliny, Heady and Abner, all fresh in my kitchen to figure out what was "the best" IIPA. I tried them individually in a small snifter. I got hop fatigue after the first round, so I started mixing them and was thinking to myself " I'm going to beer hell"!
  39. mocktm

mocktm Devotee (441) Jan 3, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

White Choc + BCBS = effing amazing
  40. AJ01923

AJ01923 Devotee (414) Jan 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Lindemans Framboise + Hooegarden = Dirty Ho. It's actually better with Allagash though.