1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Bo and Luke trade advice

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by McUbermensch, Sep 11, 2013.

1. McUbermensch

McUbermensch Feb 18, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I was offered a bottle of either Hunahpu, '12 parabola, '11 parabola, or rye whiskey barrel aged Old Guardian for a bottle of Bo and Luke. The offer was made on Instagram and I'm very new to trading so I'm not 100% sure about this trade. All those offered are on my list of beers I'd like to have I'm just not sure if the trade is even. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I don't know much about Bo & Luke (except it's delicious) but if you're happy with the trade, then it's fair.

Objectively, Parabola is a widely distributed (but great) BA stout that trades for pretty much anything. Hunahpu's is a brewery-only release of about 3K bottles if I recall correctly. Whiskey Barrel Aged Old Guardian is, well, I have no idea. For the Huna is probably "fair".

3. atoulouk

atoulouk Apr 25, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Huna was a lot more than 3,000 bottles IIRC. I believe they said the BA Huna this year was around 2-3k. Personally, I think a Huna and a Parabola-ish type beer would be a fair trade.

tronto likes this.
  4. McUbermensch

Beer Trader

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll counter and see if another bottle can be thrown in. What would my chances be of getting a Cherry Rye for a Bo and Luke? Would I need to offer more?

5. McUbermensch

Beer Trader

6. tronto

tronto Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I got a bramble so I'm sure you can get a cherry rye. I did DDG 1:1, A night to end all dawns 1:1, and coffee break/ baller 2:1. There's only been about 600 bottles released with another 400 to be released this saturday and it's amazing. That should help.

7. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I know nothing about release details on Bo and Luke but I would not trade it for any of those beers. Maybe Hunah because its just as delicious but I'd imagine B&L is much more limited.

Edit: it is pretty limited. You should get cherry rye+ something else that's good.

8. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Feb 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Chicago just saw a shipment of Bo and Luke, so it's definitely leaving the Louisville area.

aasher likes this.
  9. deeblo

deeblo Dec 17, 2011 Antarctica
    Beer Trader

I picked up a bottle of Bo and Luke in NYC last weekend.

10. tronto

Beer Trader

yep, chicago and new york got it last week I think, but it was still a very small amount. Everybody buy it so they can keep making more!

11. xnicknj

xnicknj May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

If you're new to trading and considering doing it on IG, make sure you get some legit contact info and some references if possible. Who knows when the next Matty_Monster clusterfork will rear its ugly face.

cavedave, Rudy, JulianB and 1 other person like this.
  12. gator79

gator79 Nov 1, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

I gave a BA Roosevelt for the one I got. Yes Roosevelt was brewery only but I think we were both happy, and that is all that matters.

Trevdawg likes this.
  13. WagonCircler

WagonCircler May 15, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Careful with the cement wax at the top. Get a torch ready.

tronto likes this.
  14. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Apr 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I traded a '13 DL and a '12 Darkness for a Bo & Luke about a month ago. This was before I knew it would be hitting distribution in Chicago, but I'm still happy with the trade. Tried it for the first time at FOBAB last year and it was my personal favorite. Thankfully, a couple bars around Chicago also get kegs of it from time to time! Good luck, OP.

tronto likes this.
  15. tronto

Beer Trader

even though roosevelt is brewery only, I'm willing to bet there's still many more bottles of it released an/or out there.

16. chardlogic

chardlogic Feb 18, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

About a few shy of 300, if memory serves. Quite a bit more of its sister release, BA 10-10-10, which was more like 500.

17. tronto

Beer Trader

I stand corrected

18. FatsBelvadere

FatsBelvadere Feb 1, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

How much is the BO and Luke 4 pack , each bottle is a 750 ml? Thanks for any confirmation

19. McUbermensch

Beer Trader

4pk was 75 plus tax unless it was purchased through presale then it was 69.99 plus tax. Each bottle is 750ml. Varieties are original, peanut butter, habanero, and smoked tea.

FatsBelvadere likes this.
  20. FatsBelvadere

FatsBelvadere Feb 1, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

appreciate it

21. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Dark Lord is something ridiculous like 24,000+, not counting the variants

22. aasher

Beer Trader

Indiana got it as well. I'm not sure how much, I would guess less than 20 cases. My store got three and it went within the weekend we got it.

23. atoulouk

atoulouk Apr 25, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Had no idea it was that high. Figured it was around the same as Huna since they trade 1:1 often.

24. aasher

Beer Trader

8,000 tickets x 3 bottles per ticket. It may even be higher. Before they did 3 bottles per person it was 6,000 tickets and 4 bottles per person.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe