Belgian/French Ales Boone's Farm Saison - AG

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by JohnSnowNW, Aug 15, 2014.

1. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Zealot (565) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Boone's Farm Saison
    Saison
    All-Grain
    5 Gallon Batch (5.25 into fermentor)

OG: 1.054
    FG: 1.000
    24 IBU

85% Efficiency (Adjust Accordingly)

5.75 lbs. Belgian Pilsner (65%)
    1.5 lbs White Wheat Malt (17%)
    1 lbs Turbinado Sugar, added @ 10 min (11%)
    5 oz Acid Malt (4%) (used to lower pH)
    4 oz Flaked Oats (3%)

Mash @ 150° for 90 min, and @ pH 5.33

Water Profile: Ca 50, Cl 64, SO4 44, HCO3 25

.5 oz Nelson Sauvin @ 30
    1 oz Huell Melon @ 5
    1 oz Huell Melon @ FO

Wyeast 3711 @ 72° for a week, then raise to 75° for 2 weeks, then keg. I'm serving this at 3.0 vol, or 18 psi on my system.

[​IMG]

Has a nice noble hop character, with melon and strawberry, as well as a mild spiciness from the yeast. It's quite refreshing.

#1 JohnSnowNW, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
    JimKal and ChrisMyhre like this.
  2. Apuzarne

Apuzarne Initiate (85) Dec 21, 2011 Connecticut

Just wanted to write a review as I brewed this myself. This is a refreshing beer, that I plan on brewing again in the summertime. The only change I made was using only Huell melon because I couldn't find nelson.

Very happy with how it came out. As described above it has a great refreshing strawberry character on the back end and a very nice mild spiciness from the yeast.

thatche2 and JohnSnowNW like this.
  3. mnredsoxfan69

mnredsoxfan69 Disciple (323) Dec 27, 2013 Minnesota

From the name it sounds like something for hippies to drink at an outdoor music festival in the early '70s. My parents actually used to drink that swill before Dad switched to single malt scotch and Mom to dark ales.

4. JohnSnowNW

It's the first thing that came to mind when I was creating the recipe.

Nelson: White Wine
    Huell Melon: Strawberry and Melon

Luckily, the beer is quite a bit better than the product its name plays off of. :wink:

5. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (3,114) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

The name Boone's Farm also conjures up that wine. Boone's farm wine was about a dollar a bottle back then. Competed with such treasures as Spanada (?). Even in my youth it was tuff on the stomach and probably not good for one's gray matter. My tastes and pocketbook evolved from cheap wine to crummy beer to craft beer.

6. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (660) Mar 28, 2009 California

Jon Snow has never steered me wrong with a recipe. I plan on brewing my first saison so naturally i first look here.

My LHBS doesn't carry huell melon or Belma hops, so I was leaning towards using Mosaic hops as they have a berry/tropical profile, plus I love them. However, Mosaic is much more aggressive in flavor and aroma. would mosaic be a good alternative and so should I cut the hops down to .5 ozs and the 5 min and FO additions?

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  7. GetMeAnIPA

Ran the numbers and I'll reduce the mosaic hops down to .75 ozs to stay around the target ibus, slightly higher but I am ok with that.

8. JohnSnowNW

Sorry, man, I was traveling since Wed...and hadn't checked the website. Honestly, I don't know how Mosaic will work in this. I, too, am a fan...but Mosaic has a dank component that may or may not work.

I would say my favorite component of this brew was the Huell Melon...but I say experiment with that you have!

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  9. GetMeAnIPA

I brewed the beer last night with the mosaic, so I'll let you know how it turns out. I later found a homebrew store in my area that has the huell melon after I already bought and committed to the mosaic so i might have to brew brew with the huell after
    Hearing your feedback about the huell.

Thanks for the reply!

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  10. _pat_

_pat_ Initiate (59) Apr 26, 2016 Oregon
    Trader

Warm weather in SF has me craving something like this, getting ingredients to brew this one on Sunday. Will try to update with how it goes!

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  11. _pat_

Trader

Brewing went well today though undershot the OG a bit at 1.049
    Now I'll let 3711 work its magic!

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  12. _pat_

Trader

Update: we split our batch into 3 fermentors and all finished up with a low FG. One was the original recipe, one was dry hopped with Azacca, and one was conditioned on peaches and apricots. Just opened the first original last night and it was pretty great. Nice
    vinous flavor and high carbonation that works well. Waiting another week or so to crack open the other two variants!

JohnSnowNW likes this.