Bottle Logic Brewing (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by bassofthec, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Devotee (413) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I enjoyed a Ghost Proton this weekend. Not a ton of barrel, but loads of marshmallow and definite chocolate. Can’t say I picked up graham cracker at all but would concede it came after a split Assassin haha

ChicagoJ and Yabu like this.
  2. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (137) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

FO 2020 vs. Darkstar November anybody?

3. dframmy

dframmy Initiate (55) Sep 22, 2015 California
    Trader

Maybe a longshot here, but in Anaheim this week from Northern CA to pick up FO. If any Saving Throw people aren't getting their full allotment on Space Jam, would love to try and pick one up this week while here.

Streetkid and rmpic82 like this.
  4. Dansac

Trader

I thought FO 2020 was pretty meh to be honest. It was thinner than every batch I remember.

fegelFatso and HarbaughsGrit like this.
  5. StrangerBrews

StrangerBrews Initiate (122) Oct 27, 2015 California
    Trader

I thought this years batch out of the bottle was fantastic..

ChicagoJ and nghiem like this.
  6. Streetkid

Streetkid Initiate (58) Feb 10, 2016 California

I got you, no way I need six bottles of this.

rmpic82 and Fermented-nate like this.
  7. dframmy

dframmy Initiate (55) Sep 22, 2015 California
    Trader

Many thanks!

8. Space_Cowboy85

Space_Cowboy85 Initiate (50) Dec 24, 2018 Texas
    Trader

I love this time of year. Here come the “FO isn’t as good as it used to be” posts...pretending it has nothing to do with how easy it is to get now.

Sabtos, m34josh, johnInLA and 7 others like this.
  9. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (139) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

I mean, it's no b1....

I kid, I kid! :grinning:

unlikelyspiderperson and dvnbtn like this.
  10. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Initiate (51) Sep 9, 2012 California
    Trader

Batch 1 better.

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  11. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (226) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

everyone knows b0 or early preview is the best :poop:

12. ComradePalmer

ComradePalmer Initiate (170) Jul 27, 2015 California

Y’all talking about FO and different batches while I’m over here lamenting the one-off that was Ideation.

13. Antwan83

Antwan83 Initiate (13) Feb 24, 2020 California

This years FO doesn’t even taste like the same beer in comparison to previous years. It has nothing to do with accessibility of the beer.

SoNiC21, bungletrpg and fegelFatso like this.
  14. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (114) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

One could argue that increased production (increased accessibility) could lead to an inferior product. Not saying that's the case, haven't tried this year's batch yet, but i have been hearing from multiple people it's not as good as past batches.

15. Space_Cowboy85

Trader

Of course not.

johnInLA likes this.
  16. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (139) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

I know you're joking, but during BL's 2015 WoL, they were pouring preview kegs of the single barrel treatments of FO (one keg ea. of FO aged in a Buffalo Trace, a Bernheim, a Heaven Hill, and a Four Roses) before they blended everything into the original FO. Probably the closest thing to a b0 FO you'd come across (even though they weren't in bottles).

And yes, they did something similar in 2016 with the 2016 single barrels (BT, 4R, HH, and Weller) as a reward for those who attended 2016 WoL, but that wouldn't be a b0.

I keep hoping they'll release one or two of the single barrel treatments in bottles sometime, but so far not luck.

17. Antwan83

Because previous batches of FO have had heavy berry notes. Doesn’t even taste like the same beer in my opinion.

18. Thenomad512

Thenomad512 Initiate (46) Mar 19, 2019 California

Just for fun though, opened 2020 and 2019 side by side. 2020 is thinner and hotter. More chocolate on the 2019 for me.

This has definitely got to do with being able to get this easier than last year. Really doubt it’s any of the hundreds of variables throughout the entire life of ingredients, brewing or aging. Definitely just because I was able to buy a full allocation before public sale.

Both tasted wonderful in their own way.

19. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (93) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Trader

FO has been easy to get since 2018. Accessibility hasn’t changed in a couple years at this point. It has nothing to do with accessibility. It’s just not as good this year. It’s still a damn good barrel aged stout, but compared to previous years IMO it is lacking. That’s not to say that BL hasn’t been hitting it out of the park this year otherwise. Almost everything else that’s dropped this year has been incredible.

20. Dansac

Trader

I never bothered to do lines or hunt for the beer before, so I don't think it is fair to say that my impression is being judged by accessibility. I think 3F gueuze is better than Cantillon gueuze. I think ASB is better than Monkish, even though it is far easier to get. I have found Bourbon County batches after the sale to measure up to their best personally, though many disagree. Etc.

But this batch of FO doesn't taste similar to me; it's thinner, less decadent, full, and I get a mild molasses note that is not pleasant. But I might be wrong.

21. artstvn

artstvn Initiate (19) May 29, 2019 California

I'm in complete agreement with the thinner, less decadent/sweet, lighter vanilla. I do get the berry notes in the vanilla, but I also get some sort of metallic vanilla flavor. I'm not sure if that's what I'm tasting or if I'm mistaking that for the berry. Anyone else get this?

Dansac likes this.
  22. AlmostDeadly777

AlmostDeadly777 Initiate (45) Apr 29, 2018 California

Anyone try Space Jam yet? I haven't gotten a chance to go grab my early access bottles but hoping someone on here may have had it already.

rmpic82 likes this.
  23. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (538) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

B1 was better :slight_smile:

24. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (93) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Trader

Great mouthfeel, lots of chocolate and raspberry with a nice coconut and bourbon backbone. Highly recommend grabbing some, you won’t be disappointed.

I also grabbed a can of BL’s rendition of Black Is Beautiful when I was picking up my Space Jam allotment. I gotta say, it’s super tasty. An absolute chocolate bomb. Probably the best BIB variant I’ve tried yet.

25. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (177) Jun 23, 2013 California

Yeah... this year’s batch was VERY Underwhelming. I’ve never been as disappointed with a BA beer as I am with FO2020. 19 was great though!

26. Space_Cowboy85

Trader

Even considering all of the BA Bruery beers you’ve had? I find that hard to believe.

27. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (157) Feb 8, 2017 California

I thought all he drank was bruery anyways. He praises even offshoot as God tier level beers in every post.

m34josh and FrogOut69 like this.
  28. Space_Cowboy85

Trader

Don’t get me wrong, the Bruery has definitely made a few beers over the years that are indeed God-tier. But a brewery that experiments as much as the Bruery does definitely has some swings and misses as well. For some reason, Soroborou comes to mind immediately.

rmpic82 likes this.
  29. rmpic82

rmpic82 Zealot (514) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

And to Bruery and other breweries’ credit, I’d rather have some creative misses than a singular focus and no risk-taking. Agree FO wasn’t as vanilla forward (“good”) this year but it’s not a bad beer.

superball9, AyeDogg and fegelFatso like this.
  30. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (324) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

$25 for a beer that isn't bad :thinking_face:

31. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (487) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

2020 FO is a pretty bad batch. Not sure what happened here or if it was upscaled even more causing this, but it is very disappointing.

32. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (215) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

everyone knows FO is only good on the odd years

Rbarnes4381, Hopelessly0 and AyeDogg like this.
  33. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (187) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Definitely this batch blows. Glad I skipped this release. And yes, odd numbers batches are better.

34. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Aspirant (220) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Trader

Never got to try the o.g., but for me it goes 2016 > 2017 >2019 > 2018. I'll probably crack a 2020 soon. Can't imagine it being outright poor.

Sabtos and rmpic82 like this.
  35. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,428) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I have 6 coming...lol. stop harshing my buzz y'all

gmo_vr626 likes this.
  36. Space_Cowboy85

Trader

Don’t worry. It’s precisely because you are able to have 6 coming that people are shitting on it. When you had to struggle to acquire one, it was a masterpiece.

darkmoon66 and Sabtos like this.
  37. Antwan83

2019 is still sitting on the shelves at my local store and it is far more superior than this batch so I don’t think quality is a valid argument in regards to profile in this case.

FrogOut69 likes this.
  38. thuey

thuey Disciple (330) Nov 13, 2015 California

Yeah I don't know why you keep picking this horse to die on.

Do you not believe that batches of beer have variation (not just FO or BL)? :rolling_eyes:

39. rmpic82

rmpic82 Zealot (514) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

Crazy. I thought FO 19 was great. What’s the price on it?

40. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Aspirant (254) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Most places in SF have it for $30, going to buy extras just in case I don’t like FO20.

rmpic82 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.