Bottle logic's dark star November

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Yabu, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (269) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Saw their IG yesterday.

Approx 4000 bottles in total for this release.

No bpt

Limit four per person.

Approx 2000 bottles will be available at purchase at 2:00 pm Wednesday Nov 25.
    Another 1000 bottles will be available Friday 27

A few hundred bottles will be available for local distribution.

19.95 each

Didn't try it last year, but Im guessing it'll be great.

Looking forward to it!

Eternal218 likes this.
  2. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,041) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

I had it last year, it was alright

Surprising what a little vanilla can do to a decent ba imp stout tho!

3. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (146) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

I actually liked last years and still have a couple of bottles left (opened one a couple of weeks back). Not as good as FO by far, but still a good BA stout. I will say it's probably a LITTLE overpriced IMHO, but I'll still try for some of them this year based on the prior version.

Side note, funny how last years "languished" on the shelves while this years will probably sell out immediately due to the FO hype. :rolling_eyes:

4. PG2G

PG2G Zealot (547) Dec 26, 2011 California
    Trader

There are few beers that I would voluntarily put myself in the worst traffic of the year for, Darkstar November is not one of then. I don't know what people are thinking when they plan stuff like this.

5. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

2PM the Wednesday before Thanksgiving? No thanks.

swolepeer and Tgilly like this.
  6. Original_Fake

Also, it's pretty obviously a cash grab but I'm tired of this whole "come to our beer dinner where you can buy two cases!" thing.

7. bottlelogicsteve

bottlelogicsteve Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2014

Hey guys,

Thanks for the direct customer feedback that this forum can provide. We really value your thoughts and opinions.
    I just wanted to comment on the thoughts about our dinner. I understand where the opinion is coming from and I assure you that the dinner really isn't a cash grab. We actually lost money on the Fundamental dinner vs. just selling the beer in the tasting room as we value working with local chefs who have innovative menu ideas.

The "buy two cases" advantage to dinner is directly driven by customer demand. Last dinner, we offered unlimited case purchases, and purchases were far stronger than anticipated, so we had to drop it down to two cases this go round. Sorry if that isn't being seen as a positive aspect and we are constantly trying to work with our customers to provide them with a positive experience.

This dinner was driven by the ideas of a young experimental chef who wanted to work on a protein-forward menu that we felt would pair nicely with some of our fall seasonal beers. It sold out in about 10 minutes, and we're just working on making it a memorable experience for everyone joining us.

Thanks for your thoughts!

8. Original_Fake

I appreciate the response. I understand wanting to reward folks who drop the money to come to the dinner. And being that it sold out in 10 minutes, you're doing something right. I just don't love the idea that someone who pays for the ticket to dinner gets automatic access to six times the amount of bottles you can get if you stand in line. I'm sure folks who bought tickets would disagree with me but just my take.

And for the record, I liked this beer a lot last year. But it sounds like I won't get my hands on any by walking into Mr. K's a month or two after the release.

PG2G likes this.
  9. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

Two cases just seems like one case too many. And what was up with the password on the BPT dinner for a while. When I tried to buy tickets at exactly 6pm and refreshed, it gave me the drop down but by the time I punched in 2 and clicked purchase they were allocated in baskets/sold out.

A nice gesture would have been to give those who supported you back at the previous dinner before FO blew up your spot and during those times when Ideation sat on the shelves by offering them first crack at doing the dinner again. Though I'm probably saying that since I was one of those at the last dinner. And honestly, at around $20 per bottle, offering 2 cases really is too much. One case limit per person at the dinner seems like it's over kill in itself.

Seems like a lot of folks are using the dinner more for the ability to buy a shit ton of trade bait and less about actually wanting to try the food that is paired with beer/experimental dishes. Sort of burying the lead in that, if you ask me.

I still have a couple of bottles of Darkstar from last year and I thought it was a tasty beer. Here's hoping I can land a couple this year, but probably going to be more trouble than it's worth given how much you guys have blown up because of FO.

swolepeer and wolf13 like this.
  10. WestCoastBeerDude

WestCoastBeerDude Initiate (149) Aug 19, 2014 California
    Trader

Agreed, tried to get tickets to dinner but sold out while in cart. Assuming had to deal with the password thing. And I have to go home for thanksgiving, so slim chance for me to get any. Kind of disappointed there isn't like a bpt for like 500 bottles or something as I always want to support you guys, but sometimes you make it hard.

11. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (463) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

I miss being able to buy 5 five cases of FO...

smithj2154 likes this.
  12. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Disciple (324) Nov 13, 2012 California

Tickets sold out in under 30 seconds for me, I had 2 tickets and went to add then poof! Sold out. I kept my F5 steady for 10 minutes with no luck of it reappearing

I remember Mr Ks sitting on bottles of Darkstar last year.

13. bottlelogicsteve

bottlelogicsteve Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2014

Again, thanks for all the feedback. We really do take it seriously!

We plan to do BPT/online sales again when we can guarantee a good experience for our guests. As some of you mentioned, even the dinner sales had some issues, and that was only for 40 tickets. BPT could not guarantee us what we needed to hear to move forward with an online sale for this release.

One other thing to mention: Darkstar November and FO are totally different recipes, with different grain bills, and different hop additions. Darkstar November also uses rye and molasses, and FO is not Darkstar with vanilla - they are just very different stouts.

Thanks for reading!

CraftE and pinballplayer like this.
  14. Earlycsquid

Is the main issue still that they require it to be an event? Because BPT has worked perfectly for Modern Times in all their releases.

How many seats were there for the last dinner? Seemed that lasted without selling out for a couple of days. And yeah, I think FO really put the spotlight on you guys, but just seems like 40 tickets wasn't even worth putting on BPT and could have been sold through the tasting room.

Also, doing the "beer" math. 40 tickets = 80 potential cases being sold for that event. Meaning a potential 960 bottles could be sold to 40 people if they buy their max.

Where's these bottles coming out of in terms of the 4,000 produced? Just seems like giving 40 people the ability to buy 1/3rd of the production run is comical.

15. Eternal218

Eternal218 Aspirant (238) Mar 24, 2010 California
    Trader

Bottle Logic is giving us three opportunities besides the dinner to purchase this delicious beer and we are still finding ways to complain. I loved this beer last year so i wait can't to purchase it next Wednesday.

16. Purpleman

Purpleman Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 California

2014 Darkstar November sat on shelves for months.......

2015 Darkstar November will be sold from the delivery truck before it has a chance to touch a shelf....

2015 Darkstar November was aged next to FO for 3 months, increasing its trade value by 300%!

mmarino and wolf13 like this.
  17. Earlycsquid

You say complain, I say constructive criticism towards improving a system that they're clearly asking for feedback on.

But by all means, just lump us into "complainers" and lap up every ounce you can without providing feedback.

I think the issue here is that they're offering three opportunities that, while doesn't effect me, does effect a whole lot of others. First off, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and even the Friday after are pretty tough days for most. It's either a last minute purchasing of food/preparing/travel day or for that last group, they're traveling and will be away from bottle logic, so in person on one of the most busiest of traffic days is a tough sell.

Then black friday? Come on, if you're not traveling/away, then it's just a perfect storm of other stuff going on that will make getting to the brewery very difficult for the release.

Then the distribution... ha ha ha, can we get into how bad that was run for FO? Truck chasing had a new definition because of FO's distribution - and that was when it wasn't announced before hand on the locations and had a line already selling out the beer before it even got there.

I get there's still growing pains or user interface issues with BPT and them seeing eye to eye. But if there was ever a release date window to do a BPT and allow a bit of a window of pick up, it's around the time when folks are most likely going to be away with family.

And again, how is it not a little stacked against the odds when 40 can buy 1/3rd of the production of a beer. If you set the standards to even being twice the allocation folks who line up for it on that Wednesday and allow dinner patrons to buy 8 bottle limit, that would still only be 320 bottles at most that would be eaten into. Opposed to 960 bottles potentially going bye bye on that dinner.

18. WestCoastBeerDude

WestCoastBeerDude Initiate (149) Aug 19, 2014 California
    Trader

Agreed. Yes people wait in line for BCBS, but typically that is by their home or even on the way back from home. The holiday is just a hard time to do a release. Beachwood for example released tovarish last year right after Christmas. It was a horrible release that was timed around a holiday. I understand the thought that in doing this, a brewery could possibly weed out the non real supporters of the brewery, however people such as myself that always go home for the holidays so during that time I cannot support my regular places.

I actually think they need to do distribution through someone else. It would cut down on truck following. Also, next release you guys do, seriously should maybe sit down with a few of us. @Earlycsquid would certainly be the one I would choose.

Zalamero likes this.
  19. lincolnbeard

lincolnbeard Initiate (141) Dec 12, 2010 California

buncha bitter codger's in here.

JoshBeerNow, CraftE and BeerBaron666 like this.
  20. Keyser

Keyser Initiate (95) Jan 27, 2015 California

Wasn't it released the week of thanksgiving last year?

21. ComradePalmer

ComradePalmer Initiate (176) Jul 27, 2015 California

Darkstar November is a fine enough beer, but I want some of that brewer's reserve batch that they occasional break out.

wolf13 likes this.
  22. mmarino

mmarino Initiate (89) Feb 6, 2015 California
    Trader

Best reply yet

23. JoshBeerNow

JoshBeerNow Aspirant (275) Sep 23, 2014 California

If anyone thinks this won't sale out right away they are sadly mistaken. Even with all of these complaints there will be people lined up, ready to buy as many bottles as possible.

24. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (453) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

What are you talking about? I'm in line already. :grinning::grinning::grinning::wink::grinning:

JoshBeerNow, smithj2154 and Yabu like this.
  25. Yabu

Trader

Yes, I agree! I won't be there until Sat the 28th, and I figure it'll be out of stock by then.

26. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (568) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

it is pretty funny reading about people complaining that releasing a beer for sale around the holidays is tough, when there's like, homeless refugees dying at sea and stuff around the holidays

27. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (453) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

I think holiday releases are now a real live trend.

I used to spend the holidays miserable and alone. Now I spend them in line with a passle of beer geeks. :rolling_eyes:

28. CraftyJoseph

CraftyJoseph Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2014 California

BCBS is always released on Black Friday.
    But that's none of my business.

We released Dark Star last year around the same time.

I look forward to seeing some of your lovely faces next week.

XOXOXO

-Crafty

29. Original_Fake

Based on the numbers, it doesn't sound like much is even going into distribution.

As far as the timing, Black Friday is fine by me. But there's no way I'm driving from LA to OC the day before Thanksgiving.

PG2G and Earlycsquid like this.
  30. Earlycsquid

Darkstar November is tasting fucking amazing.

And dat coffee variant... fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Seriously, though. This release is really good. A lot more mouth fill/thicker and molasses for days.

/hyping up trade value, clearly.

WestCoastBeerDude likes this.
  31. Redgoatman

Redgoatman Aspirant (284) May 21, 2015 California
    Trader

On my way to wait in line now, thanks

32. Marquizzle

Marquizzle Initiate (73) Apr 9, 2015 California

Was thinking of grabbing dinner in the area and totally forgot about the release. On a scale of 1-10, how much of a shitshow will the tasting room be in the early evening? I'm just trying to get a taste at the bar, more bottles for everyone else

33. Yabu

Trader

I'm hoping to get a pour friday or saturday. My father-in-law is going to try to secure me some bottles today.

34. Earlycsquid

Father-in-law? Shit, hit up Home Depot. :wink:

35. Redgoatman

Redgoatman Aspirant (284) May 21, 2015 California
    Trader

How's the line looking ?

36. wolf13

wolf13 Initiate (146) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Trader

About 100 people at 11:40 am. I'd imagine it'll dissipate after tickets are handed out at noon.

37. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Aspirant (227) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Trader

Sh*t like this always makes me wonder what hourly rate people put on their personal time...

#37 3SH33TS, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    J-loco likes this.
  38. Earlycsquid

To be fair, it's a lot better than those folks camped out in front of Best Buy since the weekend.

I wonder if they'll have the coffee variant on tap.

J-loco likes this.
  39. Keyser

Keyser Initiate (95) Jan 27, 2015 California

On IG they said they have one 5g keg of the coffee, I am sure it will go quick.

40. Earlycsquid

Let it warm up. It sort of buries the barrel cold, but warmed up it's great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.