Bottle Shops in Chapel Hill, NC

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by MacMalt, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,142) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'll be in Chapel Hill next weekend. Any recommendation of a good bottle shop where I can purchase local craft beers to take home? Also, do any of the Florida (for example, Cigar City) or Georgia (for example, Creature Comforts) craft brewers distribute in the Chapel Hill area?

VABA likes this.
  2. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Aspirant (239) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Places (in top nav bar) >> North Carolina >> Chapel Hill

Creature Comforts doesn't get that far.

3. Tony_D

Tony_D Initiate (162) Feb 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Beer Study is by far the best. No Florida breweries really make it to NC and Creature Comforts doesn't leave the state of GA. Send me a PM if you want more details or to try and meet up for a beer.

4. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,367) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

I don't know about NC or Georgia, but if you are driving down through Virginia, you could pick up some Cigar City. For example, the McLean Total Wine (which is about 1 mile from the Beltway, i.e. 495) had literally thousands of cans of Jai Alai for $10.99 a six-pack.

5. KRubes

KRubes Zealot (525) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society Trader

You won't be far from Sam's Bottle Shop in Durham.

I also recommend Seekabrew for your distro questions.

Andy311x likes this.
  6. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,066) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

If you'd like a small and interesting side journey (20 miles or so), head up N.C. 54 W to Saxapahaw and check out Haw River Farmhouse Ales. I love the area, and the beer is excellent.

mklinger and hawriverales like this.
  7. MacMalt

Society Trader

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'm going to do some research based upon your suggestions. We'll only be in Chapel Hill for two days and I have some business to attend to but my daughter who lives there has some beer excursions planned. Since I'm driving instead of flying, I can bring beer home, which is a plus! Our daughter did her undergrad at Chapel Hill and we're big fans of the town and surrounding area.

8. Loserphilly

Loserphilly Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2014 North Carolina

I second (or third) the recommendation of Beer Study. By far my favorite local haunt. They have some Bond Brothers Local IPA on tap which is excellent and a few Burial beers in 16oz cans (Ceremonial session is outstanding and Keepers Veil is also quite good). WW Coolcumber bottles is another favorite and you can find a bunch of Wicked Weed bottles and NoDa cans there. Also Lynnwood Hop on Top and other great Lynnwood cans. As others said, Haw River is worth a trip and they have a bottle release on Saturday that sounds terrific. Carsinal Dirrctions Beerfesr is also this Saturday. I went last year and it was crowded but terrific.

9. Loserphilly

Loserphilly Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2014 North Carolina

Another place worth checking out is Southern Season. They can be a bit pricey but offer 20% off mixed 12 packs (wine and/or beer) which brings their prices down to more than fair. They often have some sleepers that fly off the shelves at other places.

10. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (238) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Step 1: Go to Al's Burger Shack, get a burger and fries to go. Pro Tip: Get Al's sauce to dip crinkle cut fries in.

Step 2: Take your food next door to Beer Study.

Step 3: Spiritually profit.

skiking1163, McAndrew and mklinger like this.
  11. giftedgrowler

giftedgrowler Initiate (61) Mar 2, 2016 North Carolina

Steel String Brewery is right down the road in Carrboro. They are an excellent brewery and always have some great beer a flowin' Only 5 minutes from Franklin St!

12. McAndrew

McAndrew Disciple (386) Jun 12, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Fckn' Aye.... Al's Burger is a must!!! Gonna also recommend Baxter Arcade right next door. Some of the best old school video games and pinball in the state. That whole little block is just a really good time. JD and crew are solid guys and their draft list is always on point. Enjoy

wittyname likes this.
  13. Crim122

Seriously that block might be my favorite in the entire Triangle. I am not the biggest fan of Chapel Hill, but that little spot is phenomenal.

wittyname likes this.
  14. Sayson

Sayson Initiate (148) Apr 16, 2005 North Carolina

Beer Study is the *first* place to look for beer in CH. Their draft list is well-curated and ever changing. JD, the owner, drives to breweries that don't distribute to get the stuff others don't have. I also buy beer at Weaver Street Market and sometimes nearby Carrboro Beverage. I would not buy beer at Southern Season, because I don't think they turn product over fast enough to keep it fresh. As an IPA drinker, that's key for me.

Beer Study is the spot that I measure bars in other cities by. Sam's in Durham has a better selection, but I don't like the vibe there.

15. Sayson

Sayson Initiate (148) Apr 16, 2005 North Carolina

I strongly agree about Al's plus Al always says Hi when I see him at Beer Study which I appreciate. Mercato, a new (expensive) pizza place in Carrboro is also great.

16. Crim122

As the employee working the beer section told me last year, when I was freaking out that they had Westbrook Gose.

"Man, our clientele are all old and drink wine. We rarely sell sought after beers".

17. MacMalt

Society Trader

Thanks for your advice! I picked up some Jai Alai and Maduro at the Kroger on Route 301 in Mechanicsville. It was right off 95 so it was easy. Cigar City has an interesting pattern of distro.

VABA likes this.
  18. MacMalt

Society Trader

I spent some time at Beer Study. The beers on draught were great and I bought a bunch of bottles and cans to take home. The highlight for me was Starpoint Brewing's Whiskeytown, a superb BA Imperial Stout.

Tony_D, mklinger and VABA like this.
  19. TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 Georgia

Where does he drive? Cool shop and They had a nice selection of local beers but nothing out of the ordinary that I would say this is the spot to measure others by.

ScottDawg7 likes this.
  20. rgordon

Likely NoDa. Beer Study is the best shop in Chapel Hill.

21. TastyBeverage

The only Noda beers they had were Jam session and Nodajito.

22. rgordon

Sounds like they may need to take a ride to Charlotte.

TastyBeverage likes this.
  23. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,111) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Another one that shops pick up is Lynnwood... Also, there are more drafts that seem to be picked up by places than bottles/cans.

24. Tony_D

Trader

They pick up on Tuesdays and don't go every week. They are popular beers and sell out quickly.

25. TastyBeverage

I was there on Thursday. What was in the store on Tuesday that I missed?

26. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (429) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

You probably didn't miss much. Judging by their Instagram history, they haven't done a major CLT run in about a month.

27. Tony_D

Trader

Not all of their Charlotte runs are posted to Instagram but I do think you're right that it has been a minute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.