Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Bottleworks XIV anniversary

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Mages64, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Had the real XII around Noon. Can't possibly mistake it for the Five Golden Rings which is not as good.
  2. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Jun 23, 2009 Washington

At around that time was when they figured out something was off with the XII, because it was actually 5GR. They stopped pouring it, and erased it off the board while they searched for the real XII. They found the real XII, tapped it and re-added to the board. You could tell pretty easily that the initial pour of "XII" was not authentic. I have to give props to BW for re-pouring glasses of the real XII for those of us who got the 5GR initially, well handled.
    csano likes this.
  3. csano

csano Sep 21, 2010 Washington

Thanks for clearing this up, Colin.
  4. duketheredeemer

duketheredeemer Jan 21, 2007 Washington

I think they only poured ~20 or so tastes of the 5 Golden Rings before someone handed one of the Matts their glass and asked about it. I overheard him say it tasted like "Some kind of fucked up shit", and initially thought time had just ravaged it, but pretty quickly grew suspicious and went back and checked. I had JUST gotten mine and I was thinking the same stuff. No sourness, no fruit, way too much spice.
    draheim likes this.
  5. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm going over tonight around 8 or 9 to have a glass of something, no bottle for me as bebeau is a rockstar and already got me one.
  6. waltersrj

waltersrj Dec 16, 2010 Washington

The 5GR mess up made me laugh. I told Mike (BCGabbo) that 12 was an imperial wit with raspberries aged in a wine barrel. I hadn't even smelled my glass of "12." Some other friends kept saying stuff like "this isn't sour at all" or "this isn't really great." Right after that I smelled it and immediately knew it was 5GR...pretty damn funny. BW handled it well like Colin said and refilled glasses with the real BW 12...which is still absolutely amazing and the best sour The Bruery has ever done.
  7. dirtylou

dirtylou May 12, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

Please note : they close at 8
  8. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Huh. I thought they stayed open later than that for some reason. Guess that plan is out the window. Oh well.

Maybe I can swing over at 7:30 and be "that guy" who is there while they're trying to close.
  9. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Wife calls me while I'm on the 358: sorry, need you to pick up the kid (who lurchingbeast hates).
    Still got in for a quick glass of XII, guess I'll enjoy the XIV with an episode of Seinfeld or something.

Best laid plans :(
  10. Sebowski

Sebowski Jan 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Stupid n00b question:
    Any chance any is left tomorrow night? Flying in from San Diego.
    If not, IP trade anybody?
  11. csano

I was secretly hoping that they'd have some bottles for sale today. Probably would have cost $50 or something along those lines, and I would still have bought one.
  12. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

Does anybody have the list of upcoming BW Anniversary brewers?
  13. csano

I think Alpine is doing the next one, if I'm remembering correctly from a conversation I had with Matt Bonney during last year's Sour Fest.
  14. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Nov 12, 2011 Washington

I heard a rumor a while ago that they were thinking of Russian River for their 15th
    NWer likes this.
  15. NWer

NWer Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

I feel faint.
  16. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Nov 12, 2011 Washington

Could have been just rumors, but I remember hearing about Cascade for 14 around the time of the 13 release, and possibly RR for their 15th from one of the staff at Bottleworks. Who knows if it's true or not. I'd be really excited for Lost Abbey or Alpine
  17. waltersrj

Spoke with both Matt's today and Lost Abbey is doing the 15th and Alpime will be doing a massive ipa for the 16th.

Cheers all,
    gpawned, lurchingbeast and Smurf2055 like this.
  18. waltersrj

I wish! I'd have bought another! I got one back over Christmas along with a 99' 3F Oude Gueuze off the shelf lol...crazy Bottlework's...
  19. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Feb 26, 2012 Kansas

They found the only way to get rid of a keg of 5 Golden Rings. To "mislabel" it as XII. ;)
    hopburster and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  20. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Feb 26, 2012 Kansas

Nice crotch. Er... um... bottle.
  21. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Got over and hung out for 30 minutes after helping give my daughter a bath. Dragged a neighbor with me and we split glasses of XII and XIV. Bottleworks was packed, saw the Whole Foods RSQ beer guy there. I don't think they're planning on closing at 8pm. I also don't think my neighbor had any clue what I was throwing him into.
    jpbebeau and NWer like this.
  22. Rutager

Rutager Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

It was reaffirming to know I wasn't going crazy drinking that first "XII". Tasted okay, just not at all what I was expecting ...very Belgian tasting and really not very sour. :rolleyes: Pretty funny actually. Had four glasses of the real XII during two visits today to make up for it.

That must have been stardogg behind me in line saying he had 15 minutes left and had to catch a flight. Glad you got one for the road!
  23. hopburster

hopburster Feb 2, 2011 Washington

Bottles all gone?
  24. danieltweten

danieltweten Feb 21, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

Sent the girlfriend to snag 3 today since I was at work. What are people's thoughts on XIV? Word on the street is it is better than XII...
  25. waltersrj

14 is delicious and is much different than any other sour Cascade has done. Better than Vlad as well. 12 is just different and amazing. I really love that beer.
    NWer likes this.
  26. csano

Dare I ask how much you paid for both of those?
  27. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'd like to see Hill Farmstead get in on the BW anniversary action.
    Rutager, hopburster and bifrost17 like this.
  28. stx00lax

stx00lax Dec 27, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

3f 99 geuze was 75$... I would gladly pay that again :)
  29. bgramer

bgramer Feb 10, 2006 Washington

It's definitely Alpine. Lost Abbey is in the cards too.
  30. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

cantillion for 20th anniversary....
    bifrost17 and HaveUSeenMyCellar like this.
  31. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Jun 5, 2007 Washington

are you sure about this? they tasted very different to me...
  32. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Anyone know if the Barrel House sold out yesterday?
  33. adkieffer

adkieffer Nov 23, 2010 Washington

Make Crooked Stave 19th Anniv and the next 6 years sound like a dream line-up to me
  34. youradhere

youradhere Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Anybody wanna hook a brotha up? It's kinda hard to make it to BW from down here in Are-can-sauce. Man I miss Tacoma....
  35. OregonHopmonster

OregonHopmonster Jan 15, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I was thinking the same thing Kevin, so I looked it up. Took 10 seconds to find it- isn't the internet wonderful? From Oregon Brewers Guild Blog Archive-

Tap It Tuesday
    Cascade Barrel House
    939 SE Belmont
    LIVE: Manhattan NW, a NW style sour ale that was, until recently, a secret. It’s a blend of Blond Quad aged in Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels on 150 pounds of sour pie cherries for five months before additionally aging on apricot noyaux for three months. Aromas of cherries, Bourbon, sweet candy and hints of spice are noticed up front. Tart cherry skins and Maraschino cherries on the palate lead to a dance of rich cherry notes that are followed by slight Bourbon sweetness. Much like the process to make fission, the steps involved here are greater than the sum of their parts. What isn’t a secret? At 11.32% ABV, you’re going to need a designated driver! $7.5 glass, $3 taster.

So no, not the same beer. Unless you take away the sour pie cherries and then add orange zest, and instead of aging in just HH barrels you throw in Rum and Wine barrels.
  36. waltersrj

That woul be incredible as I've always dreamed of a one off Cantillon for BW. I'm sure it won't ever happen but man that'd be cool.
  37. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

It would be awesome except for the influx of folks for the release and the gang wars that follow.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  38. slinkie

slinkie Mar 4, 2011 Washington

That was totally worth taking a personal day for. :)
  39. waltersrj

We'd have to make sure that TSA knows to ground all incoming flights from California, Chicago, and NYC the day of :)
    Also, ill fight anyone.
  40. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Even chuck norris?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!