Bottling off keg

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by bmcalister1897, Apr 18, 2022.

1. bmcalister1897

bmcalister1897 Initiate (140) Jan 23, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I’ve recently just started kegging beer. I almost exclusively make wild ales so bottle conditioning fit that style best. But I recently kegged a geuze type style that I dry hopped with lambic hops due to not having time to bottle and the beer was ready to go.
    So i really like it…
    I want to bottle some for a later time and to enter into some competitions.
    Taking in ease/and quality into factor. Do people have more success with a blichman beer gun or a counter pressure filler? And if counterpressure filler, which one? I looked around a bit and the more beer one looks quite good.
    Thanks for your help in advance.

2. PortLargo

PortLargo Zealot (509) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I have used the Blichmann beer gun only and overall pleased with it. There is a learning curve, so a little trial and error is required.

3. skleice

skleice Aspirant (296) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

+1. Sometimes the Blichman has been a breeze and others it has been a nightmare. It's tricky to get it dialed in just right.

I also worry about oxidation despite purging the bottles, headspace, lines, etc. and I find the carb level is never as good as from the tap or a bottle conditioned beer.

4. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Aspirant (206) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

I’ve used the Last Straw from Northern brewer and it’s counter pressure sealing deal you can buy as an accessory. It works and let’s you purge bottles with CO2. It takes practice to dial it in to get no little foam on different styles. I have a tap on a fridge so I bought the TapCooler and it is 100% easier to use. Foam is easier to control and there is virtually no clean up after. Just the tapcooler itself. I recommend it the most.

5. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Aspirant (223) Jun 5, 2005 New York

Tapcooler for sure. Super quick. Super easy. Small. No mess at all and my bottles and growlers have tasted amazing even months after bottling

OddNotion likes this.
  6. bmcalister1897

bmcalister1897 Initiate (140) Jan 23, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Thanks for the recommendation. I was unfamiliar with this option. Reading online about it seems like it’s exactly what I am looking for. Thanks

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  7. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

I use the Tapcooler and am a huge fan. It's quick, clean and minimal to no carbonation is lost.

I've used the blichmann beer gun in the past and was not impressed.