Bottling overprimed beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Hoppist, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoppist

Hoppist Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2018 Greece

So basically I messed up. My dipa batch is 10L (2.6 gal) trub included, I have primed and cold crashed and will be bottling tomorrow from the primary. However I added 60 grams (2.1oz) of sugar for the priming and now I know it is going to be over carbonated if not explosive. I am considering underfilling the bottles to compensate. Anyone done this? How much space should I leave?

2. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (529) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

No no no under filling bottles ever.

Fill the bottles as normally you do. That amount of priming Suger is not over the top , but you will have a lot of bubbles.

If your super concerned still, let the beer bottle condition for a week, then put them all in the fridge and consume.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,003) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

A couple things...

- 2.1 ounces of sugar in 2.6 gallons is not going to be explosive. Even if your actual beer volume is only 2.0 gallons, 2.1 ounces of table sugar is going to get you less than 3 volumes of CO2.

- You don't prime before you cold crash. You prime right before bottling. Some of the sugar you added would have been fermented before you got the temperature down. So if you still had an airlock (or any way for gasses to escape) installed, you already lost some of your potential carbonation.

ETA: exactly when did you add the sugar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.