Release Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ) (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by booyahachieved3, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (237) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts

BBQ wasn't produced in 2012.

2. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (368) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Got a bottle in Kennesaw, GA for $11.99 at Sherlock's.

3. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2006 Texas

Not sure what part of AR you're in, but Ace Liquor in Jacksonville has about a case left at $12.99.

4. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Devotee (468) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

I'm in Jonesboro

5. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,448) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Hah, then the last few releases. I've had it twice (shrug).

6. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2006 Texas

Probably not worth the drive, then. If you ever come to LR, it's right on the way on 67/167 just south of Cabot. Given their clientele, I wouldn't be surprised if it sits on the shelf a while.

7. TastyIsBeer

TastyIsBeer Devotee (488) Dec 13, 2006 Illinois

Plenty left at the Arlington Heights Binny's (Northwest suburbs of Chicago) as of yesterday (Friday 10/25). It's been there for at least a week, too -- I picked up my bottle the previous Friday.

8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,223) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Shelf turd in Atlanta it seems. I stopped at two of the most popular shops in Atlanta, and both have had this on the shelf for over a week, and just rows of it on the shelf.

I'll crack one tonight, and see what she's got this year. Grabbed an extra just in case I wanted to age one.

9. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (713) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I was finally able to get my hands on one of these. I had planned on letting this sit for 6+ months, but one gentleman said to drink it fresh. Any thoughts? Thanks!

10. funhog

funhog Devotee (408) Mar 8, 2011 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Crack this one open now and if you like it
    buy another bottle for later.:)

Cubatobaco likes this.
  11. FATC1TY

Subscriber Beer Trader

Buy two, but be warned, you need to like the sweet boozy quads to enjoy this one. If you hate cherries, avoid.

I drank a fresh one last night, it was okay. Intriguing enough to age another and try again next year.

12. wrv01

wrv01 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2011 New Jersey

Had it a few weeks ago...drink it now... the boozy notes are subtle enough and are not overpowering.... I also had the cigar city forgotten island which was great but much boozier

13. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,508) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

We normally get the Smokestack Series in Bloomington, IN but I haven't seen it. I did, however, get one at Binny's Lincoln Park Friday.

14. VinceMig

VinceMig Disciple (310) Jun 21, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

For GA, they have plenty at Ale Yeah in Decatur and Decatur Package. Intown Corner Market in O4W has it too.

15. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (341) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Plenty in Ale Yeah Roswell too. Seems GA got a much bigger allotment than expected. Fine by me, I'll keep buying them.

16. Theniz

Theniz Aspirant (245) Nov 13, 2012 Indiana

Finally picked up a case at Cost Plus World Market here in Carmel, got 10 bottles left, $11.99 each

17. brywhite

brywhite Meyvn (1,227) Aug 27, 2009 California

I've always wanted to try this beer. I purchased five, had them shipped and drank one. Bummer, it wasn't as good as I had hoped. I love "the Sixth Glass" so I was expecting this to be AmAzInG!! I'm not sure why I did't love it, maybe it was the cherries? Maybe my expectations were so high? Whatever... I'll let them sit in the cellar and drink later.

18. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Meyvn (1,330) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Finally scored a bottle.

If you lay your bbq to sleep in the cellar for about a year, you will be rewarded. I read some of the recent reviews. I can' t believe the number of people with no patience that drink bbq right away.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  19. Troville1990

Troville1990 Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Illinois

As an individual with no patience, I cracked open my bottle of BBQ '13 last night. I thought it was excellent, but I didn't notice the cherries much at all. Does the cherry flavor come to the forefront more after it has aged a bit and the booziness has faded?

dianimal likes this.
  20. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (279) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

How does this compare to the 2011 when that was fresh? I know the blending makes every release kind of unique. I remember the 2011 being very yeast forward (dates, figs) ad oak forward (vanilla, hint of coconut), with a dash of whiskey and cherry, plus some toffee of undetermined origin. This is for fresh bottles obviously, by the time it was a year-old it was a sour cherry bomb (the sour beer blended in at bottling had taken over).

21. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (713) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Well, since my local store wound up getting a lot more than I expected, I'll drink it fresh and put a couple in the cellar. Thanks for the feedback.

DrewLikesBeer likes this.
  22. FATC1TY

Subscriber Beer Trader

I would love for this beer to sour. As it stands it's a sweet cherry vanilla beer with some coconut oak.

23. DaltonC

DaltonC Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2013 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Have a bottle of this waiting for me at my local store. Picking it up tomorrow.

24. mrk829

mrk829 Aspirant (221) Aug 1, 2008 Georgia

I had one a couple weeks ago as well and though it was good but not amazing. A little different than i expected. Will probably pick another up and throw it in the cellar to age for a bit. I really did not find it too hot or boozy as some of the others have suggested

25. SkippyChop

SkippyChop Initiate (64) Jan 31, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Maybe the one I got from craftbeerkings was off somehow, but nobody in my group of 4 wanted more of this than their initial pour. I love bourbon barrel aged beers, and I love quads, but somehow this one just didn't taste quite right. It seemed to have all of the right individual flavors, but they did not work well together. I ended up pouring about a 1/3 of the bottle out. I prefer Weyerbacher Blashphemy over this one.

26. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (345) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Finally drinking my first one of these. Definite cherry feel to it, doesn't drink at all hot to me, slight bourbon barrel hint to it and not overpowering at all. Still very good, a step behind the Straffe Hendrik Vintage 2011. Will drink one with family for Thanksgiving and save the others for next year.

27. KELPAK

KELPAK Aspirant (247) Aug 25, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I usually get a good amount of it in my retail shop. If you're having trouble finding it shoot me an email and i'll get you one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe