Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ) (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by booyahachieved3, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Sesmu

BBQ wasn't produced in 2012.

2. GameFreac

Beer Trader

Got a bottle in Kennesaw, GA for $11.99 at Sherlock's.

3. thewrongtone

Not sure what part of AR you're in, but Ace Liquor in Jacksonville has about a case left at $12.99.

4. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

I'm in Jonesboro

5. Pahn

Beer Trader

Hah, then the last few releases. I've had it twice (shrug).

6. thewrongtone

Probably not worth the drive, then. If you ever come to LR, it's right on the way on 67/167 just south of Cabot. Given their clientele, I wouldn't be surprised if it sits on the shelf a while.

7. TastyIsBeer

Plenty left at the Arlington Heights Binny's (Northwest suburbs of Chicago) as of yesterday (Friday 10/25). It's been there for at least a week, too -- I picked up my bottle the previous Friday.

8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

Shelf turd in Atlanta it seems. I stopped at two of the most popular shops in Atlanta, and both have had this on the shelf for over a week, and just rows of it on the shelf.

I'll crack one tonight, and see what she's got this year. Grabbed an extra just in case I wanted to age one.

9. Cubatobaco

Subscriber Beer Trader

I was finally able to get my hands on one of these. I had planned on letting this sit for 6+ months, but one gentleman said to drink it fresh. Any thoughts? Thanks!

10. funhog

Beer Trader

Crack this one open now and if you like it
    buy another bottle for later.:)

Cubatobaco likes this.
  11. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator

Buy two, but be warned, you need to like the sweet boozy quads to enjoy this one. If you hate cherries, avoid.

I drank a fresh one last night, it was okay. Intriguing enough to age another and try again next year.

12. wrv01

Had it a few weeks ago...drink it now... the boozy notes are subtle enough and are not overpowering.... I also had the cigar city forgotten island which was great but much boozier

13. fredmugs

Beer Trader

We normally get the Smokestack Series in Bloomington, IN but I haven't seen it. I did, however, get one at Binny's Lincoln Park Friday.

14. VinceMig

Beer Trader

For GA, they have plenty at Ale Yeah in Decatur and Decatur Package. Intown Corner Market in O4W has it too.

15. RDMII

Plenty in Ale Yeah Roswell too. Seems GA got a much bigger allotment than expected. Fine by me, I'll keep buying them.

16. Theniz

Finally picked up a case at Cost Plus World Market here in Carmel, got 10 bottles left, $11.99 each

17. brywhite

I've always wanted to try this beer. I purchased five, had them shipped and drank one. Bummer, it wasn't as good as I had hoped. I love "the Sixth Glass" so I was expecting this to be AmAzInG!! I'm not sure why I did't love it, maybe it was the cherries? Maybe my expectations were so high? Whatever... I'll let them sit in the cellar and drink later.

18. JohnnyHopps

Beer Trader

Finally scored a bottle.

If you lay your bbq to sleep in the cellar for about a year, you will be rewarded. I read some of the recent reviews. I can' t believe the number of people with no patience that drink bbq right away.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  19. Troville1990

As an individual with no patience, I cracked open my bottle of BBQ '13 last night. I thought it was excellent, but I didn't notice the cherries much at all. Does the cherry flavor come to the forefront more after it has aged a bit and the booziness has faded?

dianimal likes this.
  20. Dupage25

How does this compare to the 2011 when that was fresh? I know the blending makes every release kind of unique. I remember the 2011 being very yeast forward (dates, figs) ad oak forward (vanilla, hint of coconut), with a dash of whiskey and cherry, plus some toffee of undetermined origin. This is for fresh bottles obviously, by the time it was a year-old it was a sour cherry bomb (the sour beer blended in at bottling had taken over).

21. Cubatobaco

Subscriber Beer Trader

Well, since my local store wound up getting a lot more than I expected, I'll drink it fresh and put a couple in the cellar. Thanks for the feedback.

DrewLikesBeer likes this.
  22. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator

I would love for this beer to sour. As it stands it's a sweet cherry vanilla beer with some coconut oak.

23. DaltonC

Beer Trader

Have a bottle of this waiting for me at my local store. Picking it up tomorrow.

24. mrk829

I had one a couple weeks ago as well and though it was good but not amazing. A little different than i expected. Will probably pick another up and throw it in the cellar to age for a bit. I really did not find it too hot or boozy as some of the others have suggested

25. SkippyChop

Beer Trader

Maybe the one I got from craftbeerkings was off somehow, but nobody in my group of 4 wanted more of this than their initial pour. I love bourbon barrel aged beers, and I love quads, but somehow this one just didn't taste quite right. It seemed to have all of the right individual flavors, but they did not work well together. I ended up pouring about a 1/3 of the bottle out. I prefer Weyerbacher Blashphemy over this one.

26. shnsajax

Beer Trader

Finally drinking my first one of these. Definite cherry feel to it, doesn't drink at all hot to me, slight bourbon barrel hint to it and not overpowering at all. Still very good, a step behind the Straffe Hendrik Vintage 2011. Will drink one with family for Thanksgiving and save the others for next year.

27. KELPAK

Subscriber Beer Trader

I usually get a good amount of it in my retail shop. If you're having trouble finding it shoot me an email and i'll get you one.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe