Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Boulevard Whiskey Barrel Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by raynmoon, Aug 31, 2017.

1. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (724) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

from Boulevard:

"As the size of our barrel collection grows and the team responsible for shepherding our barrels through aging beefs up, it’s become possible to not only increase the variety of barrel-aged beers we produce, but to explore the possibility of producing barrel-aged beers as year-round offerings. The first barrel-aged beer to make the leap was Bourbon Barrel Quad in late 2016. Today, we’re very excited to announce that Whiskey Barrel Stout will join the year-round Smokestack Series lineup beginning in mid-September!

Loosely based on a previous Smokestack Series Limited Release, Whiskey Barrel Stout's malt base is composed of two-row pale malt, Amber 50, Cara 120, Cara 300, Mout Roost 900, Patagonia Black Pearl, chocolate rye, crystal rye, malted wheat, flaked oats and chocolate malt. Additional fermentables include dextrose, dark brown sugar and dark malt extract. To balance this chewy, complex malt presence, Whiskey Barrel Stout is hopped with Magnum and Columbus hops to provide just enough bitterness to prevent the beer from presenting as cloyingly sweet. Following fermentation with our house Scottish yeast strain that contributes notes of dates and plum, Whiskey Barrel Stout is transferred to freshly emptied whiskey barrels from a variety of our favorite distillers. As the maturation process occurs, our barrel crew selects the best barrels from different vintages to be blended together with roughly one-third fresh beer to create a delicate interplay between fresh and barrel-aged beer. This blend back allows us to create a balanced beer that showcases the very best barrel flavors coaxed into Whiskey Barrel Stout while tempering the whiskey character to create a beer that is only slightly boozy and ready to drink upon release.

Flavor Profile
    Aroma – Rich malts, chocolate/espresso, whiskey, vanilla, oak
    Malt – Roasted/chocolate, caramel
    Hops – Supporting bitterness, slight spicy/herbal aroma and flavor
    Balance – Malt/Whiskey barrel
    Body - Full

Characteristics
    Alcohol by Volume – 11.8%
    Bitterness – 32 IBUs
    Color – 282 EBC

Food Pairings
    Smoked cheese, flourless chocolate cake, roasted leg of lamb, a quiet night

Whiskey Barrel Stout will launch beginning in the Greater Kansas City Area with a limited draft offering on September 11th followed by four-packs of 12-ounce bottles on September 12th. Other regions that see Bourbon Barrel Quad will follow soon!

- Jeremy Danner, Ambassador Brewer"

2. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,085) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'd pick some up for sure.

Cheers!

VABA likes this.
  3. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

They blend back. :confused:

So many excuses for it too, I counted 6.

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,475) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

One of my favorite brewers, so looking forward to this. Year-round Rye on Rye on Rye would be good too.

5. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Devotee (436) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia
    Subscriber

Is this the same as their barrel aged stout from their great 8 mix pack?

VABA likes this.
  6. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Aspirant (232) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri

We blend back to create balance between the base beer and the character imparted by the whiskey barrels. I'm happy to answer any questions or address concerns you may have about the beer.

7. JeremyDanner

Yes. As it's going year-round alongside Bourbon Barrel Quad, we rebranded the beer for the sake of consistency and familiarity.

8. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (204) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

@JeremyDanner

How long is this aged? I

personally am not a fan of the BBQ for a number of reasons, but all those aside I got 0 barrel to my personal palate.

Along those lines, I'm not sure I have found a year round BA stout that really has much Barrel presence. I guess that is to be expected when they are not aged long. Hence my query.

Thanks for always taking the time to respond on BA.

fehrminator and JeremyDanner like this.
  9. JeremyDanner

As far as your personal sensory experiences with Bourbon Barrel Quad, I can't necessarily speak to how you, as an individual, experience the beer, but I find that there's a definite oak/whiskey presence in the beer. It's worth noting that the blend for BBQ is 100% barrel-aged and includes first, second and third use barrels.

For both Bourbon Barrel Quad and Whiskey Barrel Stout, the blend is composed of beer of varying ages, typically 6-18 months. When BBQ became a year-round beer, no changes were made to the recipe, processes or aging period. We've grown our barrel program to be large enough that we're not rushing beer through barrel aging.

10. moshea

moshea Devotee (425) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

mmmmmmm.......year round BBQ

JeremyDanner likes this.
  11. moshea

moshea Devotee (425) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Really....thinking about it, with how much I buy and how many are in my cellar BBQ, is year round for me. Boulevard BBQ and New Holland Pilgram's Dole make up most of my BBA beer drinking these last two years.

Jonl0424 and JeremyDanner like this.
  12. oudebueuze

oudebueuze Initiate (174) Dec 12, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I don't read any "excuses." Blending in fresh stock just absolutely brightens and deepens the flavor profile of past versions of this beer. The version in 750s a couple years ago is an all-time favorite beer. That fresh pang compliments the aged stock so nicely. It's much better than getting a stout that feels like it has a shot of whiskey dropped into it.

As referenced above, their barrel program is quite large. I'm sure if they felt like all-barreled final product was tastier, they would release that instead.

JeremyDanner likes this.
  13. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (161) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Beer Trader

Yes!! I love BBQ and didn't realize it's year round as we don't get it in Utah. Picked up my first one up in Michigan last May. Whiskey Barrel Stout sounds awesome too, I'll pick some up in Vegas this October.

14. JeremyDanner

You won't find our beer in Las Vegas as we do not distribute to Nevada.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  15. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (161) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Beer Trader

Rat Farts!

VABA and JeremyDanner like this.
  16. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (724) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Surprised there isn't a review on Untappd yet. Picked up a 4-pack today in Colorado. $14.99.

17. Greenstone

Greenstone Initiate (133) Mar 14, 2017 Michigan

While New Holland Dragons Milk doesn't always get the love on BA it is a consistent year round and I have never had an issue detecting the barrel presence in it.

Blutz, breadwinner, scream and 4 others like this.
  18. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (741) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Saw this land in Ohio yesterday, haven't made it there to grab one yet though.

19. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,217) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I thought BBQ was fantastic and had great barrel notes, and I think when you start releasing this on a large scale year round the blending ensures a more consistent product. Will grab when I can find

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.