Bourbon barrel aztec

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by crusian, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusian

crusian Crusader (788) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

So, many of you know my issues with breakside, this isn't that...
    I finally broke down and bought 2 bottles of Bourbon aztec. One to send for my first trade in a year... And one to try. Just opened it. Complete butter bomb. All diacetyl. I now feel like shit sending this out. I've tried looking around and can't find anything about this being buttery... Did I get a bad bottle?

2. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Defender (688) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Dunno. Haven't heard anything about the current bottling.

I love Bourbon Barrel Aztec - but only after it's aged about a year, and the peppers mellow out. Fresh, it's usually pretty harsh.

3. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,687) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I don't know either, but I'm not positive you necessarily got a bad bottle. I've never been a big fan of this beer (hey, can't love everything), as I've always found it overly sweet with a lot of vanilla character. Maybe additional time in bottle would help this beer (I've only ever had it on tap), as the JALF post suggests. I agree it certainly comes across as harsh and out of balance when young (at least to my palate).

4. VictorsValiant

VictorsValiant Aspirant (259) Oct 14, 2014 Oregon

I thought it was a bit buttery myself. I wasn't if the yeast profile was something that I was unfamiliar with or something else. Either way I was disappointed.

5. IPAguy2009

IPAguy2009 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oregon

I'm sorry but I'm not aware what your issues are with Breakside....I found this years to be delicious! No issues with my bottles, sorry to hear you may have got a bad bottle.

sharpski likes this.
  6. Robomunky

Robomunky Aspirant (203) May 14, 2015 Washington

I generally like Breakside but I also found this one super buttery. Though not as much as Xocoveza Charred, which was like drinking butter. Bummed.

7. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (130) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

You may want to contact the brewery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.