Bourbon Barrel Mold Confirmation

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by OddNotion, Dec 11, 2021.

  1. OddNotion

    OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

    I had used a 5 gallon bourbon barrel to age 2 beers in which both came out great. After draining the 2nd beer, I didn't have another one ready to go so I filled it with 5 gallons of water with potassium metabisulfate. Unfortunately I was not able to brew for a couple of months and let the barrel sit. I drained it today and it looks like it began growing mold. Before I trash the barrel I wanted to get some confirmation of what I am thinking. The picture below is what I emptied out into my sink. Can anyone confirm if what is floating in the liquid is mold, and if so, is this barrel likely shot?

    [​IMG]
     
  2. wasatchback

    wasatchback Devotee (410) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

    Not exactly sure what I’m looking at but next time try adding some citric acid to the storage solution.

    .3g/liter KMeta
    1g/liter Citric Acid

    The critic acid lowers the pH which is necessary to make the potassium metabisulfite antimicrobial.
     
    Davl22, MrOH and riptorn like this.