Bourbon Barrel Plead The 5th; Random Question(s).

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by steve423423, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve423423

steve423423 Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2014 Connecticut

Soo I got a BB plead the 5th in a trade some time ago, and have had it cellared since. Really just waiting for that nice winter evening to crack the (assuming as much) amazement of the Dark Horse offering. I was doing some random "beer studying" this evening and have become very intrugied by this beer. Does anyone know the history of the Plead the 5th and what year the first release was? Also the specs on it; i.e bottled amt, brewery release only? or something else? Just kinda generally curious on it and can't find any type of history articles online. Thanks and Cheers!

2. fishmich

fishmich Disciple (365) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

its always been brewery only sold at their 4 Elf party in early/mid December. i believe its been around for about 5 years now but i could be wrong. bottle counts were very low to start out but they are now up to selling quite a few. it was a 2 case limit last year and they were all gone after about 400 people went through the line. i got there at 3am last year and i was about 200 in line. do a search for 4 Elf in the great lakes region section and you will likely come up with a few threads.

TATURBO and AdmiralOzone like this.
  3. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,484) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana

According to BA stats the beer first came out in 2010. Regular Pt5 was 2008.

I also went to 4 Elf and still kick myself for not buying 2 cases.

AdmiralOzone and EricTKole like this.
  4. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (275) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I'm still shocked they have a 2 case limit. Something tells me this may change but for people waiting that long in line it's nice to get 2 cases.

5. jlira

jlira Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 California

My cousin sent me 2 regular pt5 and it was one of the greatest regular stouts I have tasted. Actually enjoyed it a lot more than breakfast stout. I am looking forward to possibly trade for one in the future

PsilohsaiBiN and AdmiralOzone like this.
  6. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,005) Oct 24, 2009 California

Had the great pleasure of enjoying a bottle of this earlier this year. It was a year old. One of the better BBA stouts I've had.

The regular's solid as well.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  7. Metllica97

Metllica97 Initiate (146) Apr 27, 2014 Illinois

Wow, that's crazy...

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  8. EricTKole

EricTKole Disciple (353) Jan 4, 2014 Michigan

Can you imagine what time you'll need to get there this year? That show is going to ruin events like 4 elf.

JohnB87 and AdmiralOzone like this.
  9. fishmich

fishmich Disciple (365) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

i actually ended up 280something in line because so many people took cuts when they started handing out order sheets.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  10. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

Breweries are getting smarter about bottle limits and ticketing for events like these. All it takes is a no-proxy (or proxy, whatever the brewery wants) sale on Brown Paper Tickets. Brewer can set all limitations and rules, and can even designate pick-up windows. Some breweries add opportunities to buy rare one-offs at ticketed events to encourage the hype and excitement that comes along with sought-after beer releases.

Ticketing quells some of the excitement, but it makes releases much more manageable.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  11. Metllica97

Metllica97 Initiate (146) Apr 27, 2014 Illinois

I prefer the no-proxy, non-transferable, name-on-ticket with ID required method myself, preferably with both in-person and online sales so that locals who are there each week supporting the brewery actually have a chance to grab some. I can see the positives of being able to use a proxy, but a no-proxy policy rewards those willing to make the effort to go themselves and keeps people from being able to rush the website and buy up a bunch of tickets that they plan to either sell or use to hoard beer (plus, it has the added bonus of negating the possibility of the kind of shitshow they had at Hunahpu's Day this year).

Of course, I get a chuckle reading the posts of people bitching each year about how they bought a ticket for Dark Lord Day or some other event and can't make it there in-person for one reason or another and have to eat the price of the ticket. Self-righteous indignation abounds despite the fact that they had to wade through numerous disclaimers telling them that there are absolutely no refunds, regardless of the reason ("But I'm not like everyone else! I thought I'd be able to go, but now I have a good reason why I can't be there! Make an exception for me!").

The one suggestion I'd give is to allow people to physically return their tickets to the brewery and then receive a partial refund (ticket price minus a small processing fee) once the brewery sells the ticket to someone on a waiting list. People would still bitch, but at least the tickets wouldn't go to waste...

TATURBO likes this.
  12. Donco

Donco Devotee (460) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

This is what Founders did this past year for KBS and it was a pleasure....of course I clicked in time to get a ticket:slight_smile:

robear likes this.
  13. king75

king75 Devotee (429) Jul 27, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Not going to lie. This is my favorite BA stout period. I have had many of the highly sought after BA stouts but this one is still my favorite.

philsunset and PsilohsaiBiN like this.
  14. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Devotee (436) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

15. Donco

Donco Devotee (460) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Ditto

GetTheYayo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.