Bourbon Barrels

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by mjshearer1, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Aspirant (213) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Anyone know what these things run? I heard Founders sells their spent barrels on site only, and I think it would be completely badass to have a KBS barrel as a makeshift table or something like that.

2. Andygirl

Andygirl Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Michigan

I know I can get used burbon barrels that will hold liquid for $100 and up in Lexington. No idea on KBS barrels.

3. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

Goose island sells their barrels occasionally. I think at the last sale they were $45ish, but I can't remember exactly.

4. LoPo87

LoPo87 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Cascade sells their spent barrels for about $20-$25. They put the disclaimer to not brew out of them and use them as a planter or some other decoration.

5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,078) Mar 18, 2010 California

Why is that?

6. LoPo87

LoPo87 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

They use their barrels for a few batches of wild ales. The barrels are pretty spent by the time they sell them and with wild yeast in there, it is just not recommended I guess?

7. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,625) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

Yeah, you never want to cross contaminate any beer equipment that has been exposed to wild yeasts with any equipment that is used for non-wild beers. You'll end with 'bugs' from Pluto. :)

8. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,625) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

Once, I think going back 4-5 years ago, Arcadia sold some spent bourbon barrels for $35, but I have not seen them do it again.

9. phisigben

phisigben Aspirant (291) Jan 8, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

The problem with bourbon barrels is that they have to stay damp so that the wood doesnt dry out. If you keep the barrels indoors with no liquid in the barrel they dry out and the wood shrinks then the metal rings fall off and you have a pile of wood slates and two metal hoops.

jgluck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More