Bourbon County 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by whatruDOINdragic, Jun 11, 2017.

1. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (132) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois

2. mmarks

mmarks Initiate (113) Jun 16, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Im still waiting for my refund from goose for my infected bottles from 2015. Anyone else still waiting also?

New lineup sounds interesting though

siege06nd and JohnnyHopps like this.
  3. NNN

NNN Initiate (79) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Looks exciting. As much as I want to boycott this company they make it difficult with these releases.

jfpaolone likes this.
  4. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan

Can't wait. Hopefully this means more coffee which is almost impossible to find.

5. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (269) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

6. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Aspirant (231) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

The blueberry variant really piques my interest. I wanted Lizard of Koz to be so much better than the massive, blueberry flavor overload that it was. I'm sure this one will be more of what I was looking for.

aasher likes this.
  7. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (354) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Finally. No peppers in prop this year.

Still can't get away from cinnamon though. This is 4 years in a row.

Jangoon24 likes this.
  8. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (900) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

I'm not sold on the bananas foster idea, but it's good to see that GI isn't just resting on laurels here. Should be an fun year for BCS.

croush and aasher like this.
  9. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,691) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana

What does a guy have to do to get Peanut Butter Bourbon County???

Bert00, jfpaolone, Fox82791 and 10 others like this.
  10. Donco

Donco Devotee (433) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Wow! It's (already) June 11 and the FIRST BCBS 2017 thread...what took so long??:wink:

11. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Aspirant (284) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Sounds like an expensive Black Friday!

I'm intrigued by bananas foster, could be interesting if it works. Not a big blueberry fan.

If nothing else, I'm also excited for no peppers.

I was secretly hoping for a re-release of the old classics for the anniversary (at least according to them), but maybe they still empty out the warehouse a bit.

PhilBallins likes this.
  12. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (165) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

I'm really looking forward to that bananas Foster variant

HawkeyeBeerLover likes this.
  13. Jangoon24

Trader

Another late, 500 bottle distro of VR and Prop 14 again? I'll take it!

14. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Aspirant (284) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Or a hefty drop for extra Black Friday hype, or some added fun at Prop day, or a big anniversary party. Just let the good stuff flow!

Jangoon24 likes this.
  15. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (411) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Nice. I'm excited about this (release and thread). Banana Prop sounds really interesting. Definitely the 2 year barleywine too.

Just to pre-empt the first troll who decides to come on this thread, insert lame and unnecessary infection joke and/or pun here.

16. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,322) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I'm surprised they still haven't done a maple variant. Oh well I'll just try to get some coffee and call it good.

17. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (165) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

If that two year BW can compete with VSOJ then I may be lining up early

flat_lander likes this.
  18. JPick

JPick Initiate (136) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

What about the Reserve? No one talking about that and I bet that'll be fantastic. Only thing is, the label on Tenemu appears to be a keg label....wonder if they're planning to bottle that one?

Sparty1224, flat_lander and croush like this.
  19. Redsunsx01x

Redsunsx01x Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2016 Illinois

Im already in line!!!! haha I really hope it can because VSOJ is the best thing I've had this year. FYI they are tapping a keg at The Beer Cellar on the 14th.

I wonder how hard its going to be to get prop day tickets this year....:slight_frown:

PhilBallins likes this.
  20. Jangoon24

Trader

Prop 16 had maple in it

TomClem likes this.
  21. Jinx989

Jinx989 Devotee (413) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Always looking forward to the new lineup but I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed there is no Rye variant this year and not a Blueberry stout fan. Looking forward to the Barleywine Reserve and interested in how the adjuncts in Prop will meld together.

22. Jinx989

Jinx989 Devotee (413) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

And on a side note isn't it well past time for Double Barrel Prop......? That may be hard to do since the recipe changes every year though.

23. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,322) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Ok, I was not aware. I'll have to check that one out.

Jangoon24 likes this.
  24. ericmurray93

ericmurray93 Initiate (68) Nov 29, 2014 Pennsylvania

Am I the only one who thinks both the Prop and the Blueberry one sound disgusting? Just make a massive batch of Vanilla Rye and take my money

Bert00, Reese82 and Number1Framer like this.
  25. croush

croush Defender (628) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I love Bananas Foster, but the idea of it in my beer doesn't appeal to me. I'll certainly try it, and most likely take a spin on a bottle or two if I don't get to try it before purchase, though. :flushed:

I also think the Reserve BCBS sounds like what may pique my interest the most. I think the blueberry one could be decent - it certainly can be tricky with blueberry, but I think the almond extract could help cut some of that flavor. As always, it will depend on how balanced it is.

I'm already thinking of ways to spend Thanksgiving here in Chicago instead of going back to visit family in Michigan.

26. ryno0384

ryno0384 Initiate (84) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

This all sounds amazing. Two chicago only releases....prop and BCBS reserve, plus a 20 month aged reserve Barleywine, blueberry almond stout, in addition to the core of base BCBS, coffee and barleywine. Goose Island pulling out all the stops. Think this is the year they truly rectify the 2015 fiasco. Super excited.

Yabu and PhilBallins like this.
  27. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (76) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois

Wonder what the price of the barleywine reserve will be...should we expect the same price as the '15 Rare?

flat_lander and meanmutt like this.
  28. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Initiate (154) Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Well seeing how outside of the release event, KH sold for $13 should be same as other variants but I'm sure GI will screw us on this.
    Blueberry juice and almond extract? I'll make one tonight and let you know how it is so you can all save$$.

AyeDogg likes this.
  29. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (54) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

I'd be excited about the 2 year BW, but given the gold label, they'll likely be pricing it at retail Rare 2015, which even if at VSOJ tastiness is a hard pass for me. The knob creek small batch regular could be nice. Love the indication it'll all be boozier than years past now that the make sure the new barrels are still wet with bourbon.

30. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (149) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Sounds like a good line up.
    You win my money this year GI :angry:

31. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (468) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

So far so good IMO. However. I am not counting on this being final. We saw labels approved last year that never were sold so I would just take this with a grain of salt right now.

32. Redpac

Redpac Initiate (80) Aug 27, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Did you read the actual article? This isn't just searching for label approvals, they are interviewing the head brewer about the release.

33. vrundmc

vrundmc Initiate (44) Mar 23, 2017 Illinois

I wonder if one would be entitled to all 7 releases plus goodies if they are early or if they will come up with a "core" allotment and then pick a "special" release. If it's all 7, my wife is going to be mad when she sees the credit card bill.

34. croush

croush Defender (628) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

As @Redpac noted, this is much different than last year. There was never any confirmation or announcement from GI that included those approved labels that didn't make the final cut.

35. jlsims04

Trader

Yep. I will admit to commenting first and reading the article second. I saw an anouncement yesterday on a different site minus brewer comments so I assumed it was jumping the gun again.

36. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Aspirant (231) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

The bananas foster sounds appealing, but I'm just hoping I won't need an insulin shot after -- it could be WAY too sweet, so hopefully they dial it back a notch. Also, the blueberry variant sounds like it may taste awfully similar to Regal, which would be great IMO.

37. jlsims04

Trader

Yep. I will admit to commenting first and reading the article second. I saw an anouncement yesterday on a different site minus brewer comments so I assumed it was jumping the gun again.

38. jlsims04

Trader

agreed on both counts. honestly i am most excited right now for the return of expresso coffee. It has been way to fruity in the last couple years. I much prefer a bold expresso flavor.

Jaycase, purephase and Chris_H_2 like this.
  39. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (262) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I just hope they learn from Founders and Lizard of Koz in terms of what not to do in terms of blueberry sweetness

Chris_H_2 likes this.
  40. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (164) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

Coffee has been a weaker variant in the last 1-2 years than it was before that I'll agree.