Bourbon County 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by whatruDOINdragic, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (274) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Pass. Doesn't matter it will still sell out in 30 seconds

2. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,262) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, that is a bit of a tough sell this year. It was a tough sell last year when it was $75, but for $100 this year.... :grimacing:

JakeT469, croush and BeerPrince22 like this.
  3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (544) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Maybe the people who started coming up for the pricing at 18th street Barrel Massacre got fired and came to work at goose to price events.

4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (772) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Wow, maybe I'll just go to overpriced fobab instead...

djtothemoney and croush like this.
  5. HouseofWortship

Trader

Also, watch the bottle will be the Reserve Barleywine or Double Barrel....

6. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (120) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'll still pass. I'll drink plenty at fobab and the other bcbs variants at the Fulton taproom and local option on Black Friday.

KBlodorn, BuffaloBill12 and ratwheels like this.
  7. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (155) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Watch the be just barleywine...

HouseofWortship likes this.
  8. fmd

fmd Initiate (75) Nov 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

The bottle was prop last year, right? (I didn't go)

I'd assume that's the baseline here, especially given the price increase.

Chuckdiesel24 likes this.
  9. HouseofWortship

Trader

I think it has to be the Reserve BCBS...for Chicago and Kentucky only...

GuyFawkes and migue81 like this.
  10. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,203) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Yes last year it was prop.

11. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (465) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Trader

How many tickets can be purchased if you win, 1 or 2?

12. ChWRoCk

ChWRoCk Initiate (59) Dec 9, 2013 Illinois

I was considering this before finding out the price point, did they still have the BCS variants on tap at Fulton the day of and after last year?

13. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (104) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Last year they at Fulton they had full 2016 lineup, 15 Rare and 2014 bcs on tap at open on black friday

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  14. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

This event has always been a hard pass IMO. If it ends up being DB or BR it will be awesome for those who go but 100$ for that is laughable. BCS is pretty easy to find all year long in the City.

15. allrecreational

allrecreational Initiate (36) Mar 3, 2017 Illinois

Outside of Chicago, where in the Great Lakes gets distribution of BCBS? Apologize if it was discussed on the 100s of earlier posts didnt read them all...

16. macewank

macewank Initiate (171) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Anywhere that gets Goose Island will get BCBS.

What variants and such, that's a little bit different. Prop is Chicago only. The Reserve BCBS this year is Chicago and Kentucky only. The rest -- Stout, Barleywine, Northwoods Stout, and Coffee.. Those will all see national distro to all areas Goose Island is available in.

Coffee and Northwoods will be more limited than Stout and Barleywine.

17. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (326) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Yep, I went the past 3 years and $100 is not worth it. Gotta pay for that tap room renovation though.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  18. allrecreational

I don't think that's true...I'm in Northeast Ohio where there is obviously Goose Island but there is definitely no BCBS ever. Unless this year is different...

19. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,757) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

That's because of our ABV law. We've never seen bottles, but we should this year. There've been no public promises though. Best to ask your local shops to see what it's looking like.

Gibspeed and flat_lander like this.
  20. macewank

macewank Initiate (171) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Yeah Sabtos is right. In prior years, distro has been limited to Ohio based on the stupid 12% ABV law. BCBS almost always sits above it.

But.... if you guys get screwed over again this year, you'll find it available in Indiana and Michigan (Great Lakes area) or... honestly it'll probably be around in PA and NY too, which are closer to you.

edit: I asked them on Twitter for you..

#420 macewank, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    GuyFawkes, beermanben, croush and 3 others like this.
  21. allrecreational

That's great news, thanks for doing that research!!

22. ratwheels

ratwheels Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Illinois

You must not be looking in the right places.

23. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,335) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

It's looking good for Ohio? Well, if that isn't a definitive answer for you buckeyes. That's like a magic 8 ball response. :wink:

the_ceeeeg and Beer_Economicus like this.
  24. Sabtos

Society Trader

LMAO--oh, do tell :nerd:

Thanks, will have to check that once I get out of work. BA=ok. Twitter=blocked.

Number1Framer likes this.
  25. fmd

fmd Initiate (75) Nov 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think it's certainly meant for those from out of town that come in specifically for Black Friday, as other states clearly don't get the look we do all year at BCBS. That being said, the cost/benefit for locals is really:

- How many variants do you want to stash away? Because another guaranteed prop or reserve without having to wait for a long period of time in line is worth some sort of premium.

- How often can you be the first to a tapping event/go to random bars on weekdays? For some, it's difficult and it's hit or miss (usually hit) with how much of a mess it is.

If you're already committed to blocking out most of Black Friday to get your BCBS fix in, then it's very easy to tack this on. Do you get the best bang for your buck? Of course not, but I can see how the premium is worth it to some. In a way, this is the bougie option for a "VIP" type experience so people who want access to the beers but don't want to mix it up with the unwashed masses for hours on end. Clearly smart on Goose's part, but that goes without saying.

26. ratwheels

My buddy lives in Cleveland and he's had no issue getting BCBS in the past. I don't know names of specific places, but he definitely has gotten it.

27. Sabtos

Society Trader

Your buddy never got bottles of BCBS from any store in Cleveland, or anywhere else in Ohio, period.

28. ratwheels

Then maybe he drove an hour or whatever across the border into PA. Still easy to get, period. :rolling_eyes:

29. HouseofWortship

Trader

DO we know suggested pricing for the variants this year?

30. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (274) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Bend over and I'll show ya

31. Sabtos

Society Trader

Your original comment was a condescendingly ignorant remark taunting an Ohioan about how you know more about buying BCBS in Ohio than he does, which has nothing to do with ease of purchase. If you think it's easy to get BCBS out of state on Thanksgiving weekend, try it out some time.

In the meantime, stick to your area of expertise and continue informing the community about the best bridges under which to collect tolls.

32. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (393) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Last year
    I went for the first time last year, and I had a blast. It was over priced, but I talked to some cool people and drank a lot of good beers. With prop being the only variant last year, they also served Rare and Clybourn BA Stout.

Surely reserve and north woods take those spots this year.

33. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,087) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

For what it's worth (and I don't mean to distract from the bickering, which I enjoy), on the Founders thread someone mentioned that Ohio was supposed to get BCS last year, but didn't because of "label issues." If that's the case, then you'd hope they could pull it together an entire year later.

Beer_Economicus and djtothemoney like this.
  34. meanmutt

meanmutt Savant (931) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Was in my local shop on Wednesday and the owner showed me the BCBS Black Friday poster his rep gave him to put up on his door. Had "First Time in Ohio" printed across the top of it.

I think it's safe to say Ohio is gonna have it this year.

#434 meanmutt, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  35. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (631) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Gotta get into that boy's soul somehow.

thing85 and Sabtos like this.
  36. ratwheels

LOL. Speaking of condescending. I've seen your shtick in other threads. Get out of ours. Thanks.

It IS very easy to get BCBS out of state on Thanksgiving weekend. I did it last year in Nevada. Try it some time. I was in Washington D.C. the first weekend in December last year as well and BCBS was just sitting on end caps at liquor and grocery stores, for regular retail price. So you don't even have to go Thanksgiving weekend. Go the weekend after.

37. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (155) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

BCBS also lasts forever in NYC and that's a huge metropolitan area with a large craft beer community.

ratwheels likes this.
  38. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (150) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I was in NYC 2 years ago mid-December and loved this

djtothemoney likes this.
  39. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (151) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

Funny, basically every store in Northern Kentucky that gets it, has a 1 bottle limit and sells out their allotment before the store even opens. Similar in Lexington, Louisville. That's with beer people from Cincinnati crossing the border. Just because it's easy for some people to get one place, does not mean the same in the other.

40. HouseofWortship

Trader

Yeah, but have you seen how much a 250 square foot apartment costs there? They don't have money left over for hoarding beer....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.