Bourbon County 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by whatruDOINdragic, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (890) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Binnys should set-up tables and do a ticketed 10pm Thanskgiving Feast for all the people in line.

Jaycase, Ace99890 and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  2. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,408) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

This must be your first exposure to LP Binny's BC release. Last few years, the first people have lined up in the early afternoon.... on Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

3. croush

croush Champion (803) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

You must not be that familiar with how Black Friday works. The first people have started lining up the last two years over 36 hours before Binny's opens. So, 12 hours is really nothing (not that I'm waiting that long, though).

jaysker95, FBarber, Jsimansk and 2 others like this.
  4. Boldbrew

Boldbrew Initiate (137) Jun 26, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Haha yes, it will be my first. Guess I'll bring the turkey dinner with.

beerbelly_mike and eppie82 like this.
  5. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,108) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

*Does math*

*Recovers from headache*

Wait...people have been getting to LP before 9am on Thanksgiving morning?!

PhilBallins and YoDudeguy like this.
  6. thereal

thereal Initiate (98) Apr 20, 2010 Illinois

For years, my dude. It's crazy.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  7. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (397) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I don’t think it’s been that bad. I know one of my traditions is to follow beer related pages and sees when the first sighting of someone lining up is. It’s usually Thursday afternoon between 3 and 5.

However the dude that was first for like 5 years in a row wasn’t first last year, so I’m assuming all bets are off now.

SeanBond likes this.
  8. croush

Trader

The last two years people have been lined up on Wednesday evening, so that is probably the new norm. Obviously that's a super small amount of people, though.

9. bmr29

bmr29 Initiate (70) Apr 30, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

A good handful will. Everyone else with a functioning brain, no.

Jaycase, YoDudeguy, Fox82791 and 3 others like this.
  10. macewank

macewank Initiate (171) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Bah! I quite enjoyed that one at FoBAB. Oh well. Maybe I'll convince my buddies to roll up to LP

11. Redsunsx01x

Redsunsx01x Initiate (133) Jul 5, 2016 Illinois

Its more than a handful. I got there at 830-845 last year 12+ hours and was #0087. Right after I got there, there was an influx of people so my best guestimate would be like 150ish people stayed 12 hours at least.

Boldbrew likes this.
  12. fondyball20

fondyball20 Disciple (335) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

Do people actually tent out and sleep for most of the night then?

13. YoDudeguy

YoDudeguy Initiate (110) May 5, 2015 Illinois

The first people are idiots.

14. Redsunsx01x

Yessir. Someone had something like an ice fishing tent that was pretty large. The guys by me drank most of the night with a propane heater in front of them.

15. YoDudeguy

Is it really worth getting like.. one VR with your allotment? I just don't get it. Am I missing something?

Edit: having the privilege of paying 100 dollars for one VR with your allotment

16. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (242) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

This makes me immensely sad, because for a second I didn't realize this meant 8:30 PM the night before.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  17. Ace99890

Ace99890 Aspirant (228) Dec 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Immediately Bourbon County Gravy comes to mind....

18. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (316) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

If people want to go for it then have at it. Same thing could be said for people who line up at midnight, or 6 AM or whenever.

I've never waited in line for beer before but I understand why people do. You couldn't pay me to do it but some people love the excitement, the chase, and yes the beer.

19. Redsunsx01x

I had to do it at least once and it was $49 or something like that for a bottle of VR.

Boldbrew likes this.
  20. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (215) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois

No beer is worth waiting in line for. You'll get to try it eventually without having to wait in a line on Thanksgiving.

21. croush

Trader

Exactly. I do line up some, but I also don't line up as early as most others. Calling people idiots for what they decide to do with their time seems hateful and silly to me. If that's the choice they make and they enjoy the excitement and chase to go along with the beer, then more power to them.

Born_A_Jee, aep, jaysker95 and 5 others like this.
  22. croush

Trader

Any good is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it (that includes time & effort). It may not be worth it to you, but it's also not worth it to another person to pay $10 for one bottle of beer.

23. swampwanderer

swampwanderer Initiate (40) Apr 8, 2017 Virginia

Hi All,

What is the cut off point between VR and Prop? I am guessing by 60 no more VR?

24. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (150) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

This is what gets me. I understand lining up to get something hot and new, but a THREE YEAR OLD bottle of vanilla stout that retails for $50? If VR was say only one year old it would make more sense to me (but still not enough 'sense' to line up myself). People are slaves to that almighty tick!

BuffaloBill12, YoDudeguy and Sabtos like this.
  25. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (227) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Was it $100? I got (2) 2014 Coffee and I don’t remember paying an arm/leg for them.

26. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (162) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

VR is still a pretty damn good beer after three years. There is no doubt that people still want it, especially when its stays at a steady $200 on secondary.

croush likes this.
  27. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (474) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

They charged $40 for Prop 14 last year. I would expect to see the same for VR and Prop 14 this year.

FBarber and Boldbrew like this.
  28. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Guys.....Im not saying there should be no porta potties. IM saying is shouldnt be a concern with weather they are an overflowing disgusting mess and they should only be in use for a few hours tops.

A few cups of coffee and a few flask pulls and ill be rockin a piss right next to you.

flat_lander likes this.
  29. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

People will skip thanksgiving dinner and wait in like for 24hours plus to get the same thing they could get lining up 1 hour before. The only difference is buying a VR for a 75% disocunt of secondary. My time is worth far more than 150$ if I want a VR ill fork over the 200$.

Anyone saying its worth it to line up for 24hours is full of it. If you waited 24 hours to save 150$ your shouting to the world your time is worth less tha Minimum Wage.

30. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (242) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

But what about the 16 hours of the day where you make no wage at all? If you use those hours then your just making more money. Gotta get that

Boldbrew and beerbelly_mike like this.
  31. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (316) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Craft beer is not a financially responsible way to spend your money in general so I find this a weird point to quibble about.

Again, I personally refuse to wait in line for beer but I'm not going to judge someone else on how they live their life if they aren't hurting anyone.

32. YoDudeguy

I will. There's definitely a line to be drawn between "ok" and "give me a fucking break".

33. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (152) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I've never gone the night before, but I've lined up pretty early and there are other intangibles at play. I can be somewhat anxious by nature and like to try and make sure I've got the best chance to get what I want (mostly a concern at smaller, non-ticketed stores I guess).

Some people want to say they were there and have a story to tell, or hang out with friends, or meet interesting people, etc. And yes, even get away from family obligations for a brief time.

34. wally_world

wally_world Disciple (354) Nov 27, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Agreed with this. Having been in a couple lines in the past few years, people are generally accommodating for things like the quick bathroom break, especially as the time goes by and conversations continue, etc.

I haven't waited at LP on Black Friday, but I'm guessing it's somewhat similar, as long as the person isn't a jerk.

Sparty1224 likes this.
  35. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (285) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

To me the smart play is jewel at 7 then binnys right after. Can probably
    line up at Jewel at 4-5am and be in and out 7:30. Get to binnys 7:45 and be out by 11:00 or so. Maybe sooner.

Sparty1224 and doublevision like this.
  36. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (104) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Walgreens flagship in bucktown has always had a release in the past but i cant find any info about this year. Has anyone seen a post about it?

37. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,057) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I think its generally like a week or so after Black Friday.

38. Quilentro

Quilentro Disciple (331) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Just found 5 BCS ‘16 for $10 a pop! Between that, prop day, and a freezer with BCS coffee gelato, maybe I should just sleep in on Friday...

39. mando31

mando31 Aspirant (207) Oct 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Nice! Wonder if it’s the same store I picked some up over the weekend. Was it Belmont Liquors on Mannheim?

40. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,374) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

People disregarding Binny's request to not bottle share or drink in line? Color me shocked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.