Bourbon County 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by whatruDOINdragic, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (698) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone go to the Jewel at 370 N. Desplaines downtown last year? How early were they lining up? I have to work on Black Friday but this is fairly close to my work and I might be able to swing it. Thanks.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  2. fmd

fmd Initiate (75) Nov 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Irrespective of lines, I think you're extremely underselling the difficulty of pulling off an overnight beer event and it's completely different than say a street festival in wrigleyville on a summer weekend. Beer Nerd Hoth Sleepaway Camp is nice in theory, but in that form I'd give it a 0% chance of ever happening.

Now, if they ticketed it for Black Friday itself starting at 11am, similar to prop day? Definitely possible.

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,148) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Is that judgment also aged in knob creek barrels?

4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (772) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

It isn't in a residential area, it would all be on Binny's property (which you can't say about current Black Friday lines) and Chicago puts on about 3-5 of these festivals every weekend in the summer so I don't see how any of that would be an issue. Especially if people are already lining up and drinking there, having something more official with paid security would put me more at ease than the current situation if I were the alderman.

Sabtos likes this.
  5. fmd

Trader

All fair points. This is literally Hamsterdam, for those that watched The Wire. You're gonna do it anyway, so we might as well put it in an area where it's legitimate to. Just think the general willingness of someone like Binny's to put on an actual event on the night of Thanksgiving, seems slim. It would manifest itself as a more built out version of the tastings they have across the street on actual Black Friday, if it were to happen, in my opinion.

6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,761) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

@fmd Why do you keep saying overnight, the night of Thanksgiving, etc? The whole premise of this ticketed event idea renders that whole concept irrelevant.

JohnB87 and kodt like this.
  7. Redsunsx01x

Redsunsx01x Initiate (133) Jul 5, 2016 Illinois

I thought there were lofts at the brewpub? The last time I went to the brewpub there was something saying that. I think they are hella expensive though.

8. fmd

Trader

Because the post above by @HouseofWortship is what I was originally replying to (bold emphasis mine). A normal event, I agree, would be much easier to pull off.

9. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,761) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Oh, I see, I skimmed over that part. Yeah overnight doesn't seem to happen much in Chicago. The sudden and abrupt ends of Lollapalooza each night are evidence of that. God damn like cutting off Nine Inch Nails at 9:55? LMFAO that is weak!

But...I'm just saying, I'll volunteer my time to plan a daytime release ticketed event--just pay me in a few cases of highly tradeable pastry stouts :stuck_out_tongue:

Number1Framer likes this.
  10. fmd

Trader

Lollapalooza is my direct analog, here. The noise ordinance prevents anyone from playing past a specific time - can't remember whether it's 10 or 10:30, but it's a fine per minute they have to pay if it goes past. I've seen acts get cut off mid set because of this, but it doesn't happen much anymore because everyone knows the rule.

Beer_Economicus and Sabtos like this.
  11. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (193) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I thought I read they couldn't have outdoor seating at the bar because of the school. That may be impactful for an outdoor drinking event.

12. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

that would be amazing.

13. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,087) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I would absolutely show up to LP if they roped off the place and turned it into an overnight party. Standing in line is one of my pet peeves in general, but if it were more of a "fest" feel, I'd be all-in.

Hell, at that point being shut out of bottles wouldn't feel like a loss.

14. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (543) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

So, this is completely random but...

Has any year of Regular Bourbon County ever had a bottle cap that was unmarked? I.e. No goose, no "Bourbon County," nothing.

15. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (150) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

2011 was the first year I bought and they just had a black cap. Kinda assume anything before then was the same

migue81 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  16. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (543) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

So, the very early bottles (before the label change - 2005-2008) all had a goose face on the cap. I had not seen one from 2009-2011 before, and so I was only familiar with the goose and the words printed. Thanks!

bgrzywa2 likes this.
  17. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (274) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I remember that they were all black for quite a while, I want to say I remember it being black in 2013?

I also think it was all black on the 2006 bottle I had.

18. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (274) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I got there at like 3am and was probably 20th in line. I can't recall exactly but I'm positive they had full allotments for everyone that was in line at 7am. I think the people in front of us got back in line but I'm not sure if they were successful in getting a 2nd allotment. Didn't stick around to see for myself.

cubsfanone likes this.
  19. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (337) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Remember Major Bunny Colvin...

Dactrius and flat_lander like this.
  20. swampwanderer

swampwanderer Initiate (40) Apr 8, 2017 Virginia

Hey All,

So getting in at 730 pm - where does that put you in line?

What was that threshold point where prop 2014 ended and only non vanilla rye and non prop 2014 variants were left for the taking?

Thanks again!

21. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (138) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

dude...

JohnB87, jaysker95, Fox82791 and 4 others like this.
  22. bmr29

bmr29 Initiate (60) Apr 30, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Right next to all the other 40yr old virgins.

23. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,335) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Satire can be difficult to discern, especially in a Black Friday thread. This is a brilliant post. Cheers!

24. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (393) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I got there just before 7 and missed out an variants, but not by much. It was basically just a stop over on my way to binnys. If you’re willing to put any amount of time into waiting, I’d assume you’d be ok.

2009 and 2010 have black caps. There is a tiny white crown on the side of the cap though.

25. HouseofWortship

Trader

Wednesday or Thursday night?

ebe2023, eppie82, Redsunsx01x and 2 others like this.
  26. Ace99890

Ace99890 Aspirant (228) Dec 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Probably Tuesday........

Jsimansk and HouseofWortship like this.
  27. Redsunsx01x

Redsunsx01x Initiate (133) Jul 5, 2016 Illinois

Wednesday I would say < 20th in line. Thursday < 100th in line.

Depending if they get the same amount as last year, you would need to make the choice between Prop 4 and VR cause they both would be available.

28. jffrson729

jffrson729 Initiate (79) Mar 6, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Can anyone speak to previous jewel suburb releases? I didn’t recall them doing any “events” last year, but I could have just missed it.

Similar to others, worry that putting in time there would cause a miss of variants bc I’m unsure of their volume and then be too far back by the time I get to binnys.

29. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (104) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Any one have guidance for Binny's on Grand? Think 730am would be to late for a full allotment?

30. HouseofWortship

Trader

Yes.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  31. prior2two

Trader

It’s really a crapshoot. 2 years ago they got next to nothing. Like 1 box of each variant, and only the first 12 people got something.

Last year, after the bad drop from the previous year, the line was small and I showed up around 5 min before open and was 20 in line or so. Got a full allotment and could have gone back through multiple times.

So, I guess I’m saying who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jason1221 and beerbelly_mike like this.
  32. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,148) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I've only ever stopped there later in the morning on Black Friday, but I understand they generally run through everything but regular and barleywine pretty fast (i.e. you have a to be on of the first people in line). Not sure about timing to start lining up, but if you war going to line up early and want to be sure of variants, LP is probably your best bet.

33. beerbelly_mike

beerbelly_mike Initiate (103) May 19, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Last year, I too, showed up right before open and got a full allotment. I did not know what happened the year prior, that explains the dead crowd for Grand. But, I think more people this year got wind of how easy it was last year so I don't expect it to be as easy. But I'm thinking 7:30am would still be good for the guy who posted above.

34. kodt

kodt Defender (605) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

Four years ago showing up by 9am got you a full allotment at Lincoln park
    Then three years ago you had to show up by like 6:30am to get a full allotment
    Then two years ago you could show up at 11am and get a full allotment
    Then last year you had to show up by 9am or so.

It's like a rollercoaster of beer lines

35. thereal

thereal Initiate (98) Apr 20, 2010 Illinois

I was in line at LP at 9 AM in 2016, and got a full allotment. Could have been 8:45, but I know it was after 8:30.

That said, I think this year will indeed be worse.

36. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (150) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

What time did you get out of there? Just wondering how long the line takes

37. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (155) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Stopped by LP binnys as they were unloading bourbon county...in a Budweiser truck. Nice try Goose.

JLA1221 and Sparty1224 like this.
  38. HouseofWortship

Trader

Uhhm, did you offer to "help" carry some in?

39. thereal

thereal Initiate (98) Apr 20, 2010 Illinois

I think it was three hours.

It was a "long lunch break" for me....

40. prior2two

Trader

That’s how it is every year

macewank likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.