Bourbon County 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by whatruDOINdragic, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toastjeff

toastjeff Initiate (45) Mar 27, 2014 Illinois

To anyone still in line, holding out hope. I was near the end of ticketed line last year (1088 out of 1100).

After 1100 there were a handful of full allotments and a pile of barleywine that people passed on, as well as some vintage 2014 barleywine that was also passed on when it was the only choice left.

The allotments were sold without being broken up, then the leftover barleywine went, limit one per person. All of the beer was gone by the time I paid.

2. MaddieMason

MaddieMason Initiate (39) Feb 9, 2017 Kentucky

Yep as far as I know. The Prop, Reserve and Northwoods are at a separate table. Not very many that I remember

flat_lander likes this.
  3. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Zealot (529) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

My first time at LP Binnys. What a mess. Still trying to process it all.

4. HartsyThaiFood

HartsyThaiFood Aspirant (252) Dec 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Let’s say I left now and got there in 20 minutes. Would I only be stuck with Barleywine and reg?

I had to work this morning and am just getting back in to the city now. Siiiiiiigh.

5. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Disciple (364) Nov 16, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Any word on the guy who passed out and was taken to the hospital?

stone4789 likes this.
  6. croush

croush Champion (803) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I have to mention that there was a couple at the Southport Jewel that had their 6 month old kid in their car. They would take turns sitting in the car with the kid and then brought him in the store in a car seat carrier. I thought that was pretty interesting and strange.

And then they were st Lakeview Binny’s with the kid in the car seat carrier again. I just couldn’t wrap my head around doing something like that. I guess the extra bottles of Prop must be worth it?

7. capnmike

capnmike Initiate (198) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I highly doubt anyone would force you to buy anything (to be stuck with)... :slight_smile:

Sorry for the non-helpful answer, but it sure sounds like they're near the end of the ticketed folks now, and there were still plenty of folks behind them without a ticket.

Jaycase, Muss42 and HartsyThaiFood like this.
  8. kodt

kodt Defender (630) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Only reg and Barleywine left. 7 hours in line. Left with nothing.

9. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (754) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Only Reg and BW left at LP. That was 8+ hours of my life well spent. Nice meeting you @kodt regardless. My brain is still sorting out what the hell happened here.

10. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (890) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Hope he's okay. If not, I expect this was the last year of Binny's Black Friday. Then again, if the reports of littering and shanty towns are so much worse than year's past, maybe it's time for this to just be a lottery with assigned pick-up from GI over the course of a week. Or just give more stores quantity and axe the great big LP one. So many posts of people who drive in from other states just for that large guaranteed allotment for camping out. If the yields were more risky at each place, you wouldn't see so many people coming in from out of town/state for this.

eppie82, fmd, Number1Framer and 4 others like this.
  11. FFFjunkie

Trader

Costco Bolingbrook. A pallet of regular at 8.99. Limit 4

12. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (242) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Bouncing around the suburbs got me two of everything except prop. And a VR, but keep that on the down low. It was a good black Friday.

Nbrock24, Bryan71, HazeBro83 and 3 others like this.
  13. croush

Trader

The internet is well known for keeping things on the down low.

14. Mrwenzel

Mrwenzel Initiate (45) Jan 19, 2017 Wisconsin

Reg and Barleywine at LP what a joke for people that get there before 5am.

15. PhilBallins

That's what Grindr tells me

enoves24 and croush like this.
  16. croush

Trader

I’m not doubting how much it has to suck to come away with just those beers from that long wait, but you knew there were a s**tload of people when you got there, right? And it was communicated that they had 1,000 allocations. It sounds like it would’ve been good for people in line to have a better sense of what # they were earlier, but it seemed like most people had an idea when they were beyon the 1000th ticket.

17. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (672) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

For anyone near Naperville, Heaven on Seven (amazing New Orleans food btw) is pouring ‘17 Prop, ‘17 BCBS, ‘17 Coffee and ‘16 Coffee. If you go get the gumbo. You’ll thank me later.

Nbrock24, VinHalen54, Scalzo and 5 others like this.
  18. xdtfx

xdtfx Zealot (576) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Reading these posts about Suburban Binnys only having a case or 2 of variants makes me wonder why they are so neglected every year. I mean, yeah sure, LP gets the bulk but why only give the burbs a tiny fraction in comparison? I'm sure GI is sitting on a ton of pallets like previous years (only to re-release because they have so damn much and don't know what to do with it) and there are still tons in distro warehouses so why intentially shut out everyone but the first 20-30 people at those locations?

19. thing85

thing85 Initiate (39) Jul 8, 2012 Illinois

Scarcity propels the hype.

20. croush

Trader

I’m pretty sure it’s not just the suburban locations. It sounds like every non-LP Binny’s struggled with variants.

21. thereal

thereal Initiate (98) Apr 20, 2010 Illinois

LP is out of everything. I was hoping to dip in for a bottle of Reg, but all they have is BCS Tumbleweed.

Greenstone, Boldbrew, otrejo and 3 others like this.
  22. Mrwenzel

Mrwenzel Initiate (45) Jan 19, 2017 Wisconsin

The problem was we got in line and multiple people were going through and counting. We were around 750 at 6:30. We all felt safe then people just start letting there friends in-line. Then the lines are moved. It was a cluster F.

23. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,045) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

They started pasteurizing the beer last year after the '15 debacle. What problems did they have last year?

croush likes this.
  24. PhilBallins

I still don't know how it can blow so well in the wind while being soaked in bourbon.

Number1Framer, Jonl0424 and FBarber like this.
  25. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,045) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I genuinely wonder if after the shit show at LP this year the pendulum will swing the other way next year and they'll spread supply out to the other city and suburban stores to avoid the big turnout at LP

YoDudeguy, eppie82, kbergen28 and 4 others like this.
  26. NNN

NNN Initiate (114) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

My trip to Phoenix paid off in spades. 7:45am arrival at one of the four liquor stores doing BCBC Black Friday. Walked out at 9:25am with a handful of 2015, 2016 & 2017 BCBS, two 2017 northwoods & two 2017 coffee. Also got a 15 Rare. Fuck Chicago today.

27. t4haughton

t4haughton Initiate (71) Jan 24, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

This was our 6th year and while I was expecting a sh*t show, I was unprepared for this. LP Binny’s and Goose need to re-evaluate everything about this release. They pushed everyone to this one store, then totally dropped the ball.

There’s no excuse for not pre-packaging the allotments. For the few that don’t want everything you can have a discard station. I don’t mind waiting in line, but I shouldn’t have to go from station to station picking my beer like I’m in the IKEA food line. This at least tripled the check out times. Was nearly 5 hours from when tickets went out to putting beer in my car.

28. shadrach103

shadrach103 Initiate (34) Feb 9, 2010 North Carolina

I bailed on my plan to drive to LP @4:30am based on all the chatter. Diverted to suburban Binny's instead and was 12th in line which seemed stupid early. Turned out it was not, as only the first 24 got full allotments, the remaining 75 in line did not fair so well. Was out the door at 9:06AM with full allotment. Friends who went to LP at same 4:30am start time got ticket ~950 and didn't get out until 1PM.

29. Hop-Trollop

Hop-Trollop Initiate (104) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois

Like somebody said earlier in this thread: If they are really pushing LP in any year...that’s the year you go someplace else.

30. Wowzors

Wowzors Initiate (94) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Big ups to you sir. In and out in like 5 minutes. They have to ring every bottle up separately though.

FFFjunkie likes this.
  31. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (152) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I’ve always gone to smaller Binny’s and felt pretty good about things, but I agree that LP was a strange experience for a supposedly premiere beer release event. From the cheesy Office Depot tickets, to non-existstent line control or guidance, to the lack of trash cans - not even the coffee guy knew where we should pitch our cups (not that this an excuse to leave your trash). I was happy to get a few extra bottles for a few more hours of my time, but I’ll be reevaluating for sure next year.

HarbaughsGrit and FFFjunkie like this.
  32. duff-man

duff-man Initiate (37) Nov 15, 2017 Illinois

That was exactly my thinking in going to Binny's on Grand, but they just seemed woefully under-stocked compared to last year. I feel a bit deflated by it all. This is on top of them telling me a couple of weeks ago that Abraxas would be on sale there today (but I found out elsewhere they decided to sell that a week early). Not the biggest Binnys fan at the moment.

Beer_Economicus and GuyFawkes like this.
  33. kbergen28

kbergen28 Initiate (75) Jan 19, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Goose guy I talked too was pretty pissed, he says they pushed binnys to hand out tickets on arrival and they didn't want to. Also said binnys lost their printed tickets so gave them a roll of random raffle tickets. He was fuming.

34. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (152) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

I don't get why some chain stores push all their product to one store. They do that at Big Red in Indy too, but not to the size as LP it sounds. People are going to buy the product regardless if you put it all in one location. I can't imagine they drive in any additional store sales for non-BCBS product by doing this. If anything they probably get less. Spread it out to allow all stores some exposure and reduce the line hassle. I've never stood in line and never will and get plenty every year. Cheers!

35. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (227) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

No more Prop or Reserve at Fulton. WTF? Thought the guy was kidding when I tried to order it.

36. FFFjunkie

Trader

No problem and the last part was a bit retarded.

Beer_Economicus and stone4789 like this.
  37. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Initiate (118) Jan 30, 2013 Illinois

Wow was LP Binnys that bad? Haven't posted in awhile but reading here got me back in the game. Love BA.

Did the suburb tour. Drank a bunch of 14-16 BCBS last night but made sure to go to bed in good time to wake up at 6:40am. My usual.

Started trekking around at 7am and ended up with a surplus of original and BW. Several prop and reserve. No Northwoods though. But I love bananas and dislike berries so I'll live.

kbergen28 and wally_world like this.
  38. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Initiate (175) Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Binnys Grand had a terrible allocation. Maybe 2 reserve, and 4 cases of prop and NW. Got a lone coffee. Bigger disappointment was Jewel on DesPlaines which was an advertised event store yet only had 2 cases of reserve and 4 NW. The game sucks big time

39. bertram

bertram Aspirant (248) Dec 18, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

WGN News had a story on the release at LP Binny's, if anyone wants another reason why they push a big, centralized release location: free publicity due to the spectacle.

stevegoz and Hop-Trollop like this.
  40. bdom25

bdom25 Initiate (29) Feb 27, 2017 Wisconsin

Was at highland park at 5AM, group of four. Tickets 23-26. Two of us got full, the other two missed out on reserve and Northwoods. Luckily we will be sharing those. Only two cases of each.

Had Northwoods back up near Milwaukee. Made up for it.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.