Bourbon County 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by whatruDOINdragic, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steveo1741

Steveo1741 Initiate (123) Sep 29, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Lined up to the east, first group was there by midnight. Only one tent and they started selling at 7 but let us in about 610.

2. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Devotee (413) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I know Goose loves the publicity of the Black Friday event, but I can really see them moving to a pre-ticketed event with designated pick up times next year. They probably weren't interested in it because things always moved so smoothly, but after this year, forget it. Look at KBS, 4Elf, DLD (sort of). All pre-ticketed, and now more smooth than they've ever been.

Ferocious, otrejo, t4haughton and 3 others like this.
  3. zach60614

zach60614 Aspirant (223) May 1, 2012 Illinois

I must have been right there with you guys. I was told on a preliminary count before the line moved that I was 920. Once we hit 9:00 I somehow had been pushed all the way back to 1400 and just left.

4. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,203) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

From your post you’re taking it better than I would. I’d send some version of this to their feedback email listed earlier.

Wait so he’s not a ninja? I refuse to believe this.

I’d dispute this to a certain extent. I was #884 and spent way longer in line than is reasonable. We were told we were around 570 originally, so we probably could have had an ok vintage option. If I’d have known how unprepared they were, I would have gone to Oakbrook at 4:20, apparently been 8th in line, picked up the non-LP full allotment and then spent a couple hours looking for more, and been home in time for lunch. I actually thought about calling an audible when I woke up and read the madness on here.

Binnys begged for this to be an attention grabbing news story and then were woefully unprepared for it. They commented on that blog post that
    a) 7am is fine
    b) their team moves fast
    c) and a bunch of other things that show they weren’t ready for what they had brought down on that area of the city.

At the end of the day, we got all the beer that Binnys said from LP, so can’t complain anywhere within miles to the extent of the guys who stayed in line back at #1200. But I’m just responding to your comment to point out that I wouldn’t call myself or the folks around me a happy camper.

5. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (761) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I was #518 and the vintage choices left were ‘16 reg and ‘16 bw.

6. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (450) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Every Total Wine location in MN had 2-3 cases of Reserve. And many other stores had it yesterday as well, just not in those quantities.

Can't imagine how much of it was made, has to be hundreds of PALLETS of it.....

Boldbrew likes this.
  7. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (154) May 5, 2013 Illinois

to me, the payoff for going to LP just doesn't seem to be there considering the disaster it sounds like it is. is the main draw just possibly getting something from 3-4 years ago? becuase it sounds like the 3 hrs i spent sitting outside a malloy's netted me the same thing people got after sitting at lincoln park for 9 hours.

stevegoz likes this.
  8. thing85

thing85 Initiate (37) Jul 8, 2012 Illinois

Just commenting here to say, good write-up. Spot on, based on my own experience and everything I've read.

Muss42, flat_lander and kbergen28 like this.
  9. croush

croush Crusader (770) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

About 75 people here by my rough estimate.

10. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,262) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I was the empty store front. Hid in plain sight.

11. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (631) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Damn. You're better than I thought.

FBarber and eppie82 like this.
  12. flat_lander

Society Trader

Thanks. I went back and forth about whether it was worth mine, and other people's time.

thing85 likes this.
  13. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (772) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I agree with the folks who say jack up the price of the variants. They are way too low. Considering Rare sat on shelves last year at $70 for a few weeks, that is probably the right way to go for things like Prop, Reserve, and Rye....You want one, it'll be sitting on the shelf. You want 5- better talk that over with the wife first....

Number1Framer, beerking and SeanBond like this.
  14. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (104) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

It seemed to me that Prop was an artificial shortage yesterday. Goose originally said it would be on tap at fulton, it wasn't. Several Jewels that where listed to get it didn't. Walgreens in Bucktown didn't get any and northwoods showed up at the very last minute. So where is all the prop?

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  15. Dad_of_Rad

Dad_of_Rad Initiate (134) Jan 24, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

After reading a bunch of the posts, I think it’s important for people to “check the boxes” in order to provide good firsthand feedback to Binny’s LP specifically. I’d say getting a full allocation maybe didn’t meet initial expectations but was successful in a couple boxes. I wasn’t there - went to Suburban Binny’s and Jewel - but it sounds like these were the things they didn’t deliver on or that were significantly worse than past years.

1. POS time: I think this is actually an issue at LP and at least the suburb Binny’s I went to. The check out time is too long, and there are many ways to improve. Why don’t you have SKUs set for full allotment and full allotment minus glass? Why not a lottery or just tell everyone in the blog that they are obligated to full allotment? The other good thing about this is you know exactly how many customers you can serve.
    2. Pricing: I think not enough is being said about this. The pricing was a full 20% higher than Jewel. That being said, I don’t have a problem with the price, but wish it was communicated earlier...bringing up the next issue.
    3. Communication: Not telling people they were 1000+ in the line at 6:00 is not on them. When you go into this given how they have it set up, this shouldn’t be an expectation. Not counting the line periodically and not giving that info 8:00 and after when they’d know the line is +1300 is a joke. Not telling people after 1000 when they get there that the allotment will change is a joke. Changing the plan with where Reserve is being distributed to when the change is made (and it was made at least a week ago) is a joke. Why not tell the price earlier? Even say “a full allotment will be about $225”?
    4. Process following Plan: I completely understand the plan. Tell people more available allocations at LP, tell them higher quantity of some variants at LP, give them guidelines for times and what’s allowed/not allowed. But to not police it and guide it given how the craft beer community is evolving is ridiculous. Again, they have options. Spend money and buy corrals, hire temp security, lottery process, hand out tickets as people line up, etc. They (GI and Binny’s) both likely want the hype but they’re losing customer service at the risk of having it affect their business the other 364 days of the year. I get that even bad publicity is good marketing but there’s a tipping point.

To be clear, other stores do the same things - they basically say “we have very limited quantities” when they could say “we have 2 cases of Prop and 2 cases of Reserve with an allocation of one variant bottle per person”. I get that a lottery may seem to allow hoarding. And benefits programs are a pain to manage. But, the communication, transparency and policing of the plan can be improved significantly to then make the experience more beneficial to the consumer. I don’t propose to have answers but they’ve asked for feedback and hope they at least share what they got and how they’re going to change.

For transparency, my wife and I went to Plainfield Binny’s for 4th straight year, got there @5:15 and got full allocations. It’s my main beer buying option. I thought about LP because of the higher allocations, but kept monitoring social media and was not up for getting up @ 2 AM. I had thought about a 7 AM arrival, but was worried about the quantities of Reserve. Both seemed to have been on the mark as people that arrived at 7 AM didn’t get full allotment and Reserve was the first to go. I enjoy meeting people in line, don’t drink in line to respect the business owner and prepare to sit in the cold because I like the beer. That being said, this puts the process in my hands in many ways that a lottery wouldn’t.

16. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (772) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Hopefully they are waiting for the out of towners to leave before dropping it...

17. flat_lander

Society Trader

Yeah, I'm trying not to just pile on here and be somewhat constructive. I hate to say it, but it's been a while since anyone has...it is just beer. Albeit REALLY damn good beer. I totally could've called an audible, and gotten the variants I so desperately wanted. But spending time with my friend was more important to me and didn't want to back out on him last minute. I went for the big play and it totally blew up in my face. I'm an adult and I made that call. I'll have a different game plan next year for sure.

It's gonna work out okay for me because of some very generous friends and Ba's that did really good yesterday. And I'm thankful for that. Hopefully one day I can return that favor. Beer karma. It's real deal. Seen it before. I'll see it again.

The one thing I'm salty about is I'm still going to be out Prop, along with my whole crew. I was the one shot we had. So now I hit the trade boards. Again. Which right now, is pretty absurd if you haven't looked. So I'll have to wait for the hype to drop a bit. The amount of people not from IL trying to trade their Prop (and not from IL or KY) trading Reserve is crazy right now. There were a lot of out of state plates at LP though, so I guess I'm not too surprised.

Beer_Economicus and FBarber like this.
  18. flat_lander

Society Trader

Champaign Sam's Club has a stack of Regular. Generous allocation of 1 bottle per member at $9.96 each. No line.

I literally laughed out loud when I walked in and it was the first thing I saw. To be clear, I generally dislike that place. It's more my wife's jam.

FBarber likes this.
  19. KBS

KBS Disciple (303) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Why the hell would anybody say “raise the price”? Why would you want to pay more for your beer, makes no sense. Say “run a better release”, “make it ticketed and timed”, “make more of it”, anything but raise the price. Shouldn’t the problems be on them to fix, not us to pay more.

20. willowbrookbinny

willowbrookbinny Initiate (30) May 24, 2008 Illinois

Hi all - This is Doug, one of the beer buyers at Binny's. I was at the event yesterday. I heard a lot of your feedback then, and we're still listening. We're reading this thread, but your best way to be heard is to email comments@binnys.com. Your feedback is helpful as we work to make this event better every year. Some issues we're looking at include problems with the line, communication the day of the event and the checkout process.

By the way, if you purchased Northwoods in the Lincoln Park Tasting Room (not LP's front registers or any other store) you were incorrectly charged extra tax. Refunds are coming - check out more on the Blog: https://www.binnys.com/blog/bcbs-release-extra-tax-charged-lp-binnys/

We promise that we are going to take all of your opinions and advice seriously and make appropriate changes. We want this to be the best beer event of the year and we are 100% committed to learning from any mistakes and get better every year. Thank you.

21. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,087) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

So the question now is: Will the clusterfuck that was yesterday (according to this thread; I managed to get sick on Thanksgiving so missed all BF activities) be furthered magnified by secondary drops of all variants (at Binny's?), or was this most people's only shot outside Whole Foods next week?

FBarber likes this.
  22. fmd

fmd Initiate (75) Nov 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I don’t really know the logistics about secondary drops, but if binnys was sitting on excess stock yesterday and didn’t exhaust it given how much of a mess it was...that’s not good in my opinion.

Obviously it’s clear they hold stuff back for vintage releases next year but if they randomly just put out variants on a Tuesday afternoon in December I’d think that’s poor form due to yesterday’s problems.

Sparty1224, Elkevjoe and flat_lander like this.
  23. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (274) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Went into a store today and saw that they were selling Northwoods for $40, unbelievable

24. macewank

macewank Initiate (171) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

So... outside of Chicagoland, did anywhere OTHER than BloNo get a solid drop of variants?

I ended my day with a ton of Northwoods, Coffee, and BW.. Was only able to snag 2 Reserve, though. A good friend of mine in Champaign said it was a wasteland down there, which is surprising. Nothing but Regular and BW (which, incidentally, was the one, other than Reserve, that was hard to come by in BloNo)

flat_lander and FBarber like this.
  25. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (139) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It's high that's for sure but I don't think it's unbelievable. Someone will eventually by it

eppie82 likes this.
  26. croush

croush Crusader (770) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It’s not Binny’s that has the excess. GI or the distributor does and they give Binny’s more in mid to late December. It’s glorious.

I don’t think you’re going to get much sympathy for ONLY getting 2 Reserve. That was the hardest one to get around the city. It sounds like you got an amazing haul if you got a ton of NW and Coffee.

27. markdwags

markdwags Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2016 Illinois

After they saw the pallet with only regular, lots of bummed out folks at our Jewel who thought they were getting Prop and Barleywine. It was "confirmed" not only by Jewel's site but by the customer support in the comments section.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  28. schweezly

schweezly Initiate (20) Nov 25, 2017 Illinois

New member but I swear I used to have an account. Who knows what email or name it was under though.

I missed all the fun yesterday morning. Luckily I live far enough from LP that I didn’t consider. I was busy in the morning and ended up stopping by a shop in the NW burbs and getting some Regular and BW.

I just missed some variants this morning at another shop. I’m really hoping to find a Coffee, but I always strike out.

The hunt continues, or the hope for a 2nd drop in a few weeks

29. Chuckdiesel24

Trader

Fair but this was the least important part of my point.

FFFjunkie and flat_lander like this.
  30. Chuckdiesel24

Trader

Respectfully, it seems like you aren’t reading what people are writing here. It’s not about wanting to pay more for beer, it’s about taking away the price gap between retail and fair market value (secondary) combined with releasing it first come first serve, which causes an element of “work for your beer” and brings all kinds of seediness to it.

SeanBond and Ferocious like this.
  31. macewank

macewank Initiate (171) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Wasn't really looking for sympathy, just illustrating that it was hard to get down here too.

Far more interested in what other areas got because it sure seemed like everyone I talked to around the State struck out.

Not sure if it's because we share the same distributor as Chi or what.

32. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (224) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Yeah. Got to Fulton at like 2:30. Both Prop and Reserve we’re gone. And why in the hell did they not have them in kegs?

JakeJohnson, Jsimansk and Nbrock24 like this.
  33. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (643) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I love reading this and living vicariously through you all.

If it's any consolation, in Mid-Michigan we haven't even seen coffee in years. And this year we didn't even get barleywine.

I had a 3 hour round-trip drive and 3 hour wait for a midnight release (got 2 stout and NW) And hunted for another three hours in the morning and pulled 6 more regular from around 12-15 shops.

Sorry, if I missed it, but any idea what the approximate number of vintage allocations were at LP?

Jmorey and Nbrock24 like this.
  34. t4haughton

t4haughton Initiate (71) Jan 24, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Sure, but I think we all need to come to terms with the fact that pricing beers at a point where they sell out instantly isn't the best strategy.

Again, this is exactly my point. The beer doesn't need any more hype and there are clearly WAY too many customers.

35. xdtfx

xdtfx Zealot (532) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Well, I messaged the Binny's comment email and got a response already... what I expected.

" Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. The main theme I'm hearing is that we should spread our allocation out to more locations. Unfortunately, without big the event, we wouldn't get the big allocation. We're grateful that we have the relationship (and proximity) with Goose Island that allows us to host an event like this, and it is the big event that gets us the allocation. Our beer buyers work effortlessly to get as much beer as possible to all our stores, which is why we also saw thousands of happy customers across our other locations. "

They responded to my point about the other locations getting screwed with joke allotments (got the response I expected, GI made them do it for publicity, figured) but did not touch base on the problems that occurred during the LP event (no staff governing the line, lack of rule enforcement, lack of communication, slow checkout process, etc).

SeanBond and Nbrock24 like this.
  36. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (371) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Significant problems aside, a ticketed release is exclusionary in a way that Goose Island just won’t want.

37. KBS

KBS Disciple (303) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Yes, some are literally asking that prices be raised so getting the beer is “easier” for them. There are easier ways to get the beer in peoples hands, many breweries have figured it out. As far as secondary, that is between the buyer and seller but should have no bearing on what EVERYONE is charged.

cubsfanone and Nbrock24 like this.
  38. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (761) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I know it was the least of your concerns, I was just trying to provide some insight. I didn’t want people that got bumped out of the 500 range to think they missed out on any crazy vintages that’s all.

VABA and Beer_Economicus like this.
  39. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (274) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Can anyone else still not stand the new format/labels/bottles? The old packaging was just so well designed and elegant, it made seeing the beer almost exciting in itself. The new bottles and labels are just terrible.

40. t4haughton

t4haughton Initiate (71) Jan 24, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Because I have an economics degree. At current retail prices, people are willing to buy MUCH more beer than they have available to sell. Assuming Goose is making as much as they can, the only rational solution is raising prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.