Bourbon County 2018

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beer_Economicus, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Boldbrew

Boldbrew Initiate (125) Jun 26, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Reserve was also all over Minnesota

2. flat_lander

flat_lander Disciple (390) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Pretty sure some east coast state got a bunch too. Yet, Champaign, IL saw none. BloNo got some though. We got screwed last year. I think like one case (maybe less) of coffee. There was also a case of 2016 coffee or something weird like that.

Beer_Economicus and Boldbrew like this.
  3. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (249) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

Yeah. Reserve was originally meant to only get distro in those 2 areas and then like the day before they said they sent some to other markets.

4. Italy61587

Italy61587 Initiate (85) Apr 4, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Neapolitan still somewhat exists, all you have to do is cuvee bramble, vanilla, and prop :wink:

5. Jason1221

Jason1221 Disciple (394) Apr 7, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

BloNo is like a really southwest suburb. You guys are downstate more...

flat_lander likes this.
  6. ryno0384

ryno0384 Initiate (79) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

My only caveat would be "limited" distro perhaps. Otherwise their goes trade value for the shitlords who just care about flipping and not enjoying a great beer.

7. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (412) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I bet over half the the people here, myself included, couldn't pick out BCBVS vs. a homemade version in a blind tasting. All its going to take is a handful of tries to dial in the homemade version with BCBS and vanilla beans.

Hope I get two bottles of vanilla, so I can trade one for a case of BCBCBW.

8. bmr29

bmr29 Initiate (40) Apr 30, 2017 Illinois

Looks decent, especially Bramble, Vanilla and Reserve.

I’m not dropping $300 on a load of this shit though. The days of me buying 4-5 regular and 2-3 barleywines are over.

9. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (147) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

With the price of good vanilla, would that be significantly cheaper than just getting a bottle of BCBVS?

stevegoz and HouseofWortship like this.
  10. Lazhal

Trader

BCBVS will probably cost ~$25 like variants in recent years. Beans go for $2-10 (depending on type) and a whole bean goes a pretty long way.

So yes, it is cheaper to make your own.

rmpic82 likes this.
  11. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Aspirant (224) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I might as well get the post out of the way now so I don't have to do in November:

"I lost the Prop Day lottery."

12. flat_lander

Premium Trader

Your lack of rage and entitlement in this post makes it very disingenuous.

croush, jaysker95, Jinx989 and 5 others like this.
  13. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (241) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Dammit, that was gonna be my joke!

PhilBallins likes this.
  14. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (458) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

i disagree. well. half may be accurate. Granted ive only done it a few times but homemade always is not integrated well.

Beer_Economicus and PhilBallins like this.
  15. ktr5010

ktr5010 Initiate (47) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I actually just tried this for the first time and added cocoa nibs. Had half yesterday evening and half tonight. While no VR it was significantly tastier than the base and I think I'll continue trying this with others.

16. Lazhal

Trader

Might need to let it sit longer. If you have a bottle capper, it keeps overnight just fine. I've even done BCBS + coffee at 2 days and brought it to a tasting. People loved it.

17. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Zealot (526) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Exactly what I have been doing. Stocked up on regulars.
    Got some Intelligensia beans and have BCBCS.
    Bought some Vanilla Beans and made Vanilla BCBS.
    Diallng in my ratios but have made an awesome toasted coconut & cinnamon variant.
    More experiments to come! Got a request in share group to do a Neopolitan of course!

scifan87, JFresh21 and Lazhal like this.
  18. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (153) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

I've had the wheatwine before and it's just super meh.

If they want to make barleywine sell better, they just need to make it good again. It was a must buy for me a few years ago and now it's just not that interesting. I think the first year it was really underwhelming was the first year in the new bottle format.

19. Lazhal

Trader

I'm going to assume you're not referring to 15 considering the problems with that year. I had 17 next to 16 at a share and 17 was a clear winner for everyone. They are definitely improving on the BW. Hopefully that continues this year.

Do you like BW better than the WW?

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  20. JPick

JPick Initiate (132) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

So, one downside to all these variants is, I’m guessing the limits will be 1 for everything outside of Reg and maybe The BW/WW this year at LP Binny’s?

21. HawksBeerFan

The years kind of bleed together for me, but I remember the first two or so years it was brewed (this would have been after the initial KH release if I recall, when it was in the maroon/gold labels) it was very very well done. I've had it every year since then too and while the newer vintages are fine, compared to what it used to be, it's not close.

eppie82 likes this.
  22. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,017) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Good question. Regardless, because of the number of variants (and the kind of variants as well) I expect this year's shit show at LP Binny's to be even worse than last year.

flat_lander and Boldbrew like this.
  23. Boldbrew

Boldbrew Initiate (125) Jun 26, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

FTFY

Beer_Economicus, eppie82 and Jsimansk like this.
  24. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,732) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Yep, you are guessing.

I actually like the newer versions better, 2016 and 2017. ikr

Boldbrew likes this.
  25. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (435) May 3, 2016 Illinois

I get that the former use BCBS barrels were at higher risk for infection to use a third time for the barleywine, but the former stout barrel is what separated BCB Barleywine from a crowd of other top barleywines. Why they can't barrel the barlewyine and then blend in a bit of the BCBS regular in to achieve a similar flavor to the original is beyond me.

26. Sabtos

Trader

I think that's all in your head. I don't think the stout being in there previously added any flavor, I think all it did was actually tamp down the barrel influence that a second use barrel would impart. There I said it.

croush and Boldbrew like this.
  27. HawksBeerFan

It really made all the difference.

Unfortunately, I think with whatever happened to the Reserve BW last year, they are probably done using this approach.

28. HawksBeerFan

meh, really dsiagree

There was a huge difference between the first releases and the most recent ones.

29. flat_lander

Premium Trader

JFresh21 likes this.
  30. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (249) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

31. ktr5010

ktr5010 Initiate (47) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I know it went out to the vendors who did the collaborations (specifically the hot sauce). Possibly was kegged too?

32. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (435) May 3, 2016 Illinois

Or maybe it was totally indiscernible from the regular barleywine so they weren't going to be able to charge a premium for it selling it side by side without angering customers. If they wanted to release it later (Good for up to 5 years, right? Wink) they could. They would just need to somehow put some distance between it and the current barleywine series by doing something like taking the current barleywine out of the lineup for a year or if they made a ton and it is too late in the year they could add something like coffee to it to make it a much different flavor profile or then release something like a wheatwhine that tastes different enough from a barleywine that when a consumer compares the BCB Wheatwhine to a BCB Barleywine Reserve they exclaim "Wow, that Reserve has so much more flavor!" even though the Reserve tastes exactly like the normal barleywine.

Or maybe it had flaws and they covered it up with coffee...

Jsimansk, Sinzanasti and Sabtos like this.
  33. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Initiate (160) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Yep between this and the fake beer labels it's like neck beards playing checkers while Goose/InBev playing chess.

Jsimansk likes this.
  34. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (147) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

But checkers is an easier game, shouldn't we be winning?

35. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (337) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I’m super pumped about Prop. It’s essentially BA Big John, which is one of the best beers Goose has made.

ryno0384, jlsims04, jaysker95 and 4 others like this.
  36. Sabtos

Trader

Never thought about it that way--actually forgot Big John had nibs.

Boldbrew and HouseofWortship like this.
  37. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (337) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

And the base is the same for both BCS and big John - Cook County Stout

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  38. bmr29

bmr29 Initiate (40) Apr 30, 2017 Illinois

Big John was fantastic. Good call. Never looked at it that way.

39. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (343) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

You've just pumped everyone up and increased trade value. How dare you.

40. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (270) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois

Big John only had cacao nibs, so it leaned to the bitter side (I loved it as well, btw). I'm expecting Prop to be a bit fudgier with the addition of actual chocolate. I'm actually hoping it ends up being more like Baudoinia, which was like a glass of fudge BCS. It was amazing.

GuyFawkes, JFresh21, ktr5010 and 4 others like this.