Bourbon County 2018

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beer_Economicus, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Champion (854) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

2. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (416) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Thanks!

Chuckdiesel24 likes this.
  3. Lazhal

Lazhal Disciple (370) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Despite hating the pricing model, I would be awfully tempted to buy a bottle of King Henry for $100 if I found myself at Fulton. As a huge barleywine fan, this is one of a handful of beers that will most likely elude me for the rest of my life.

4. _mark_s

_mark_s Initiate (112) Feb 27, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I picked up a King Henry Friday at Fulton and have no regrets. Would I prefer to have paid less? Absolutely. I would have loved to pay MSRP and still have a bottle for me to try years after release. I am not sure how to gauge whether prices on a beer is unfair or even arbitrary when there is only one place to buy it,.

5. aclockworkchris

aclockworkchris Aspirant (222) Sep 17, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Most likely made three separate batches of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry flavored BC and poured/mixed all three together in the best tasting ratio

6. jlsims04

jlsims04 Zealot (526) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

i was trying to convery they could be eaisly flipped flopped in those spots.

7. jlsims04

Beer Trader

sorry. Was looking for a simple way to show those were about even for me. it really worked when i came up with it in my head. lol.

8. jlsims04

Beer Trader

im pretty sure they adjunct post barrel now.

JFresh21, stevegoz and Jsimansk like this.
  9. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

What he said does not imply that they didn't adjunct post Barrel. It only implies that they took 3 seperate groups, adjuncted each, then mixed. They still could have adjuncts post Barrel.

10. jlsims04

Beer Trader

fair point.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  11. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (924) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I don't have nearly as much problem with an upcharge on King Henry (which might as well not exist anymore) as I do on GI's more "common" BA beers. For example, an upcharge on 2015 Rare would irk me much more than an upcharge on 2010 Rare, because one isn't particularly rare at all (and is relatively recent), and one is a bonafide whale.

Also, I apologize for continuing to add to the price debate; I know these sorts of discussions get kind of tiresome, so I'm only trying to clarify my point, and am not really trying to rag on Fulton. I do think it's fantastic what a variety of bottles they have for purchase.

12. jlsims04

Beer Trader

Hmm. I didn't consider this side of it. I suppose it doesn't bother me as much for KH. VR which everyone knows they are sitting on pallets of is a different story.

SeanBond likes this.
  13. JPick

JPick Initiate (130) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

14. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (420) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Neopolitan- "Aromas of chocolate and vanilla with a slight strawberry finish"." What the f is that? Does it taste like chocolate and vanilla or only smell like it? And why a slight strawberry finish? It's BCBS it needs to be bold.

Sabtos likes this.
  15. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (286) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Seems labor-intensive. Highly doubt this is the route they'll take. It's not like they're a flock of neckbeards making rando cuvees at the end of a share....

aclockworkchris and JFresh21 like this.
  16. ktr5010

ktr5010 Initiate (24) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

There were several bottles there last night...

17. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Shrug.

I know nothing about mixing, or the best way of "adjunctinv." I was just clarifying a technicality :grinning:

HouseofWortship likes this.
  18. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (151) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Speaking of bottles at Clyborn...

19. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

How many pages has it been since I said I hate all you Chicago lucky bastards? I think I'm due...

landrewg, TonyLuvsBeer and Boldbrew like this.
  20. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,651) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I can't see the tweet right now, what is it?

21. capnmike

capnmike Aspirant (238) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Friday the 13th event at Goose with VR, Regal, Rare and Templeton on draft, and Backyard and a bunch of newer bottles on site at Clyborn.

BuffaloBill12, Boldbrew and Sabtos like this.
  22. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (286) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Are they really adjuncts? Or are they additives?? :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::rolling_eyes:

jaysker95, Beer_Economicus and Sabtos like this.
  23. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (146) Dec 24, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm scared to try King Henry again because it's probably the best beer I've ever had and I don't want my perception of it to change.

Boldbrew likes this.
  24. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

Such a rare, scarce beer, yet some 10 years later GI just keeps pulling quantities out in force.

Boldbrew likes this.
  25. jlsims04

Beer Trader

its still good. I never had it fresh but even this late in the game its still excellent

eppie82 and Chuckdiesel24 like this.
  26. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (146) Dec 24, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I mean, it wasn't crazy rare when it was released. I remember going to Binnys a few days after release and there were cases of it still.

27. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (326) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It’s still very, very good, but it’s a shell of what it once was - which to be fair, was one of the best beers I’ve had.

stevegoz likes this.
  28. Lazhal

Lazhal Disciple (370) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This post is a bit of a head scratcher considering English Barleywines are one of a few styles considered to age incredibly well. Granted, I've never had the beer.

Beer_Economicus and Boldbrew like this.
  29. Chuckdiesel24

Beer Trader

I might be off but aren’t we talking 7 years here? That’s pretty long for any type of beer.

30. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (326) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Sure thats why it's still very good, and not a hot mess.

it still shows signs of oxidation, and the flavors have changed over time.

When it was relatively fresh, (fresh to a year or so), it tasted like liquid brownie batter. Super thick, with strong caramel, toffee, and bourbon. After a couple years, it mellowed out into more of just an awesome beer, and the uniqueness of the 3rd use Pappy Barrels didn't really come through as much.

31. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

A BW tasting like liquid brownie batter is perhaps one of very few reviews I could ever imagine reading that would not only not remind me at all of a BW, but not even make me want to try that BW.

I still want to try it, but that's a bananas description of a BW. Never associated chocolate at all with BW, nor can I imagine it from a BC style BW.

jaysker95, Lazhal, eppie82 and 3 others like this.
  32. eppie82

eppie82 Savant (977) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had King Henry about a month ago from Fulton, and it shot up the ranks of best tasting beers I’ve had pretty fast. The euphoria of finally getting it might be a contributing factor, but it tasted absolutely incredible. From my notes: “Toffee, caramel. Sweet. Big Mouthfeel. Barrel presence tying it all together”.

I never had it fresh, but I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to get it again should the opportunity arise.

33. OrionsHunt

OrionsHunt Aspirant (227) Jul 17, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

KH was aged in the same barrels used for 2010 Rare, so many people noted stout characteristics in it. I would not describe it as liquid brownie batter, but the characteristics mentioned by prior of thick/caramel/toffee/bourbon were spot on with my experience. Top 10/15 all-time for me and best BW. Interested to see how it is holding up after all these years. Have one bottle that I was saving for the side by side with V2, but will have to come up with another plan.

jaysker95 likes this.
  34. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (127) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Serious question... if the word "adjunct" gets used incorrectly to describe additives enough, will the meaning actually change? I've gotten to the point where I just bite my tongue when my beer friends use it incorrectly.

35. Sabtos

Beer Trader

And that's when it will take over...basically has at this point. Like .00000001% of the beer geeks that throw the term adjunct around actually know about the brewing process, so it ain't going to change. And, it will eventually, or really already has, become to mean what it did not mean a short while ago.

36. Chuckdiesel24

Beer Trader

I know originally adjunct was meant to describe corn in Budweiser, but people use it to describe both that and flavor additives these days. Breweries themselves use the term pretty frequently. I’d say it means both at this point.

jaysker95, croush, SeanBond and 3 others like this.
  37. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (183) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Stay strong and fight the good fight, my friend. I think it has gotten difficult for people because sometimes adjuncts like fruit and honey have an obvious impact on flavor (not just body and other character). To make matters worse, sometimes fruit is part of fermentation and therefore an adjunct, and sometimes it’s just a flavor additive from an extract.

So much craft beer these days does liberally use both adjuncts and additives - almost makes you wish someone would just decree that real beer should be limited to 3, or at most 4 ingredients.

38. Sabtos

Beer Trader

I see what you did there.

Jsimansk likes this.
  39. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

Adjuncts? Additives? I take the easy way out- just use "add junk". So they add junk before fermentation and they add junk after fermentation and it tastes pretty good and even better because no one is arguing about proper brewing grammar. Add junks....

40. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I am not going to get engrossed in this conversation from a contribution stand point, but I will add one thing. I generally use additive, but sometime I use adjunct (as I did above when we were talking about adjuncting post or pre barrel). I usually use additive because in many threads there is someone who pounces on people who use adjunct incorrectly, so it's just easier this way. The reason I prefer not to use additive is because it sounds disgusting. As a life style, my wife and I try to eat whole food that is "free of additives," so despite knowing what it means here, I have a visceral (negative) reaction.