Bourbon County Black Friday DFW?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by dson08, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dson08

dson08 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Arizona

Does anyone know if there are any tappings during the week and if any stores are having an event like Specs did last year? I couldn't find any information anywhere. Thanks.

2. Techichi

Techichi Devotee (484) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

There should be plenty. I believe GI posts these events and stores on their website.

3. sethsticles

sethsticles Disciple (312) May 6, 2014 California
    Society

I think the big event Specs Dallas did last year will be in Houston this year. eeeeeeefffffffffffffffffffffffffff:slight_frown:ffffffffff:slight_frown:ffff:slight_frown:ff.

But I don't know for sure. @Techichi is right, just keep checking GI's page.

edit: also remember that they are doing the new format bottles. So unless there is a HUGE event at a Specs this year then I wouldn't count on getting more than 1 bottle per store as there are no more 4-packs.

4. Abbbp

Abbbp Crusader (743) Mar 9, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Should be a couple tapping of BCBS at least across the city- I remember GoodFriend had one last year, and then on Black Friday it was like 5 different places at least including places like Mellow Mushroom.

5. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (231) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

No more 4-packs, that sucks. What's the new bottle format? I guess I missed that.

6. Maich

Maich Initiate (128) Oct 23, 2014 Texas

New format is 16.9 oz bottles 9.99

7. Longhorn08

Trader

What a screw job!!! It used to be about $5/12oz if I'm not mistaken. What bullshit this is!

brock125 and tx_beer_man like this.
  8. sethsticles

Society

welcome to AB InBev. while I appreciate that they have been able to bring BCBS into the state, this type of screw job was bound to happen.

"how much more money can we make with a single bottle then spin the change as a cool new marketing scheme that will make the consumers think they are getting something really, really cool?"

aschwab and Avelasquez80 like this.
  9. Maich

Price is really in line with what it should have been before, as long as places don't jack up the price from the 9.99 you're talking about price $13.01 (equivalent) for a bomber I'd rather have BCBS than almost anything at that same price level. Maybe it will increase availability but I kind of doubt that as well.

INWarner413 likes this.
  10. Techichi

It is indeed still a great price for such a good beer. I'm not so sure how limited it will be either. I expect to see quite a bit of it around. I could be wrong though.

erushing likes this.
  11. erushing

erushing Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2014 Texas

I also expect it will be a bit easier to get in this format and this price point than it was in 4-packs last year. I'm pretty sure they're cranking out a lot more each year as well. Abyss got to the point this last year where it was mass produced enough and expensive enough where it was pretty plentiful. This might be pretty similar.

I'm just hoping it's also a little easier to get the variants this year. I still have most of a case of regular from last year sitting around.

chrismann65 likes this.
  12. Longhorn08

Trader

I've been wrong before, but I thought BCBS was here before AB..... Not sure what this has to do with bringing it to the state. Please explain.

13. sethsticles

Society

AB bought GI in 2011. BCBS wasn't sold in Texas until 2013.

Indytruks138 likes this.
  14. Tommo

Tommo Champion (831) Sep 25, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I cant imagine there will be a small amount. Last year there were 4 packs at stores weeks after black friday. AB increases production and distro every year. We may not all get Rare, but there will be plenty distro'd in DFW

15. caffeineTX

caffeineTX Initiate (116) Aug 29, 2014 Texas
    Trader

but you probably bought bomb variants for 12-15 a bottle when they had a lot of hype right?

chrismann65, brock125 and Maich like this.
  16. Longhorn08

Trader

Not sure how your assumption has anything to do with the point I was making. GI selling the same beer, bottled differently, for more money relates to Bomb how?????

Avelasquez80 and dson08 like this.
  17. Techichi

I think he's saying that with the new prices BCBS is ~$0.60 an oz. Prairie BA beers are practically double that. So even though GI has raised the price they're still a great deal on BA stout.

chrismann65, pnelting and brock125 like this.
  18. brock125

brock125 Initiate (162) Apr 21, 2011 Texas
    Trader

I'll give this a shot. I think his point was that Bourbon County was severely under-priced before (relatively speaking) and that it's still a great price at $10 for the new bottle format. He compared this to the swill (my word) that Prairie produces and sells at a much higher price that people don't seem to have much of an issue with.

Do I wish it was priced similarly to previous years? Yes. Do I think it sucks that the price has increased so much? Yes. Will I still buy up as much as I can? Absolutely.

cfh64, Maich, pnelting and 1 other person like this.
  19. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

Really? You haven't paid that much for a bomber before? But it's ok, so long as it's not an InBev product?

20. sethsticles

Society

Sure I have. And that's not at all what I said. My point was that this is the first move that I've noticed AB making since buying GI that (in my eyes) is directly from ABs clever marketing dudes who asked the question 'how can we get more money out of these nerds'. I don't think this is a screw job necessarily, I was just using the words used by posters before me. My sarcasm came in because I'll miss the sub $20 4-packs cause that was a hellova deal for the quality of beer you paid for.

21. Jovial_Libations

Jovial_Libations Initiate (194) Jan 30, 2015 Texas

GI sells a 16.9 oz bottle for $10 and people bitch like crazy. JesterKing or Prairie sells their stuff for even more and that just the economies of the market.

22. brock125

brock125 Initiate (162) Apr 21, 2011 Texas
    Trader

THIS cannot receive enough likes!

wiingman likes this.
  23. Maich

But GI isn't a bunch of artisans using free range barley and naturally occurring awesomeness.....

NDogg44 and brock125 like this.
  24. TheGentleman

TheGentleman Initiate (43) May 6, 2007 Texas

This is correct. Smith Street is the flagship release for GI Bourbon County for Spec's in TX. The format has changed this year, in addition to the package format mentioned.

As I understand things, each major market (DFW, Austin/San Antonio and Houston) will have a "flagship" release for one of the major chains complete with all of the variants (including Rare). I'm not sure who's got the other markets this year.

25. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (185) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Dang dang dang...decisions decisions....To line up or not to line up

chrismann65 likes this.
  26. Perdue125

Perdue125 Initiate (99) Jan 29, 2006 South Carolina

I expect it will be worse this year, the people in line at Specs in Dallas were pretty cool but that whole set up was not ideal IMHO. Why does Specs get the lions share? Other states seem to get the variants pretty well spread out across non-chain stores.

27. TheGentleman

As mentioned, Spec's is only one of the chains getting this sort of treatment. That is not to say other stores, Specs or not, in these markets will not also see product.

The "Lion's Share" argument is a valid concern. A lot of these allocation numbers come from distributors based on sales. The larger the store/chain the larger the allocation because of the volume sold. But, this does not neglect smaller stores/bars. I couldn't speak to specifics, because I don't have/know them, but distributors can/do use these items to build relationships with smaller/niche customers.

I will be the first to admit, the system is less than ideal. I would also say that I can't think of a better system of rewarding those who do the work all year and justify the product while also kicking the occasional favor out to someone who hasn't.

champ103, tx_beer_man and chrismann65 like this.
  28. TheGentleman

I've already been told there will be campers parked in wait...

Last year the line started at midnight the night before and we weren't the "official" release location.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  29. Maich

Looking for someone to share a tent with, forever alone......:slight_frown:

tx_beer_man likes this.
  30. NDogg44

NDogg44 Initiate (125) Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Is it really worth it to camp out all that time just for a couple of beers? I would imagine they place a limit on the amount each person can purchase.

31. sethsticles

Society

Depends on why you're waiting. Is it just for the beer? Then probably not worth it. Is it to hang out with your drinking buddies early and drink coffee while shooting to bull to be rewarded with tasty beer at the end? Yeah, that is worth it. To me at least.

And they do place limits. That particular Specs usually does double limits for the first N people in line though. It's known to have a line for many releases.

raffy313 likes this.
  32. Techichi

I no longer wait in line for any beer. There are too many options out there these days. Last year I walked in to my store and got the regular, coffee, and vanilla with no wait. If something like that doesn't happen this year...fuck it I'll buy some Clown Shoes, or BA Legion.

mattisloco, Cowboys9, aschwab and 3 others like this.
  33. TheGentleman

Our buyers have approached this release with the intention of this being the biggest, stupidest release we've done. There will be a handful of things offered that you've not likely had or even known you could have in package.

I don't entertain the idea of waiting in line for beer, but this will be worth it.

34. NDogg44

NDogg44 Initiate (125) Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Which store are you referring to? The Spec's in Houston? Any Dallas area stores doing something like this?

brock125 likes this.
  35. TheGentleman

Smith St. in Houston. Dallas likely getting BCBS, but nothing like Houston. Information in a previous post as to why.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  36. Techichi

No offense, but that's always the hook for these kind of events. "You've never had it." I'm over that. I understand it sells beer, and that's great. I've just always been dissapointed with that attitude towards releases.

dumptruck81 likes this.
  37. TheGentleman

No offense taken. I want to make sure and put as much information as I have out there for you to make your decisions one way or the other.

cfh64 likes this.
  38. Maich

Any idea when Smith St. will release event specifics?

39. TheGentleman

That's the current conversation in the office. Working on it.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  40. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

DFW will see a solid list of beers. Going to be an expensive day

Abbbp, saint_ and tx_beer_man like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.