Bourbon County Black Friday DFW?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by dson08, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redgoatman

Redgoatman Aspirant (284) May 21, 2015 California
    Trader

Which ones are you thinking and where? Ill be here for work and wouldn't want to miss out!

2. NDogg44

NDogg44 Initiate (125) Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Trader

I'd love to camp out, but I can't justify sacrificing that time with my family. We only get together so many times a year, so I have to take advantage of the time we have together.

3. Redgoatman

Trader

Bring them along because family time ya know, and mules!

Erikone, brock125 and Techichi like this.
  4. NDogg44

Trader

Redgoatman likes this.
  5. NDogg44

Trader

Are Total Wines, Specs, etc allowed to open early on Black Friday or will they open at 10 like normal?

6. Redgoatman

Trader

Not sure in Texas, but in California they open at 7am on Black Friday

7. anvilx

anvilx Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012 Texas

10 am like they normally do.

8. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

I have not seen the allocation list but it's save to assume a similar distribution as last years available variations. If an account got VR last year they will get 1 or both of the variants this year most likely. I would bet that only high end locations of chains would get Rare though (so FW CM but maybe not Southlake)

9. 06Rubicon

06Rubicon Initiate (36) Nov 8, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I believe CM can't sell BC due to the ABV. Specs, Goody Goody and Hal's should all carry it...the question is, when???

10. erushing

erushing Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2014 Texas

Not true. HEB has carried Bourbon County the last couple years. Texas has a lot of ridiculous laws, but this is not one of them. Utopias are even popping up in Austin today at several HEBs.

11. dkw0063

dkw0063 Disciple (366) Dec 1, 2012 Texas

Has there been an announcement of what dfw store will have variants, or doing something special for the release? Last year I was at specs and goose island announced that weeks ahead of time.

12. Maich

Maich Initiate (128) Oct 23, 2014 Texas

Haven't seen anything released by Spec's only a news article so far...

13. Berrymon

Berrymon Initiate (104) Apr 5, 2015 Texas

I was in TW at park lane a week ago and asked a manager about BF promotions. He was dismissive and said they weren't releasing any details at the time. Then he told me when they were ready to announce some info they would send out an email. Have not seen anything yet, but with Spec's and WF right there it makes for an ideal location to hit a couple spots.

Maybe something will come out in the next few days...not many left haha

14. sethsticles

sethsticles Disciple (312) May 6, 2014 California
    Society

Partially true. Texas doesn't allow beer sales in grocery stores when ABV > 15.5% (without the proper license). Some Averys aren't sold at grocery stores because of this. Grocery stores will have BCBS as they are < 15.5%.

I'd be shocked if Utopias really are popping up in HEBs....

15. erushing

I've seen at least 3 or 4 HEBs posting about it today in Austin

16. NDogg44

Trader

Any updates for DFW at Spec's, TW or otherwise? What will they be releasing besides BCBS?

17. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

I saw people post that they got it at HEB - but I agree, that does not sound legal.

But, I have seen beer stores sell beers they were not licensed to sell (think the higher ABV Avery ones). The distributor dropped them off and they promoted it on twitter solely to delete it later to pretend they never did.

18. bradleydavid5

bradleydavid5 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Texas

Well known beer store up here in the dfw area said this about bcbs:

"Selling bcbs and one more on Black Friday. Selling 2 more some time later as they r not approved by TABC"

19. erushing

I'm with you guys on that it's crazy that Utopias were popping up at HEBs (and doesn't seem that it could be legal), but seriously, twitter was full of them this week. At least 6 HEBs were promoting it, including a couple down the street from me. I didn't go pick one up though, so I don't know how they were doing it exactly or the price.

20. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (465) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

I bought a Utopia at HEB in 2009. This is nothing new. I believe there's a special license they need to sell beers like that.

21. puddledynamics

puddledynamics Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Texas

So...whats up guys? I'm trying to figure out what store to camp at.

Techichi and raffy313 like this.
  22. saint_

saint_ Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2015 Texas

I'm hanging out by the smoker.

chrismann65, Erikone and dson08 like this.
  23. 06Rubicon

06Rubicon Initiate (36) Nov 8, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Hal's Market in Grapevine confirmed that Bourbon Co will be sold @ 1000 (opening) on black Friday. That is all the detail they would give me, no quantity info, no specific versions...just bring your snuggie and lots of loot!

24. BullDoza

BullDoza Initiate (194) Apr 12, 2014 Texas
    Trader

A heads up, but according to the Austin thread - due to label/Goose Island issues, only BCBS and Rare will be available through out Texas on Black Friday. Late releases for other variants.

Not sure on the absoluteness of it, but sounds legit.

chrismann65 and tx_beer_man like this.
  25. Persdawg

Persdawg Initiate (193) Mar 12, 2015 Texas
    Trader

^yep. Hearing the same. (Although a good ploy to maybe limit the crowds???)
    If true...this is great news for us that love our families that's don't live in a metro area!

26. Pldevo

Pldevo Initiate (53) Jul 25, 2015 New Hampshire

Why do people make such a big deal about this beer?

27. Cowboys9

Cowboys9 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2009 Texas

Because it's a limited-run, once-a-year, bourbon barrel aged beer that's consistently among the best made.

Avelasquez80, Abbbp, erushing and 4 others like this.
  28. Techichi

Techichi Devotee (490) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

That about sums it up. I'm not for going to great lengths to get it...but it's still the best BA stout we're able to purchase in TX these days. IMO anyways.

Abbbp, erushing, Erikone and 2 others like this.
  29. Pldevo

Pldevo Initiate (53) Jul 25, 2015 New Hampshire

Ya, it's good, I get that. I don't think it warrants camping out and waiting in lines for though.

To each his own.

30. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (320) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Trader

There is a huge difference between camping out and waiting in lines for it. I don't think I have ever waited more than 15 minutes for any bottle including some of the late BC releases at Hall's in 2014. Bourbon County is worth that wait. Now there is now way I am waiting several hours or even over night like the Houston crowd does.

31. mph005

mph005 Initiate (170) Nov 25, 2013 Texas
    Trader

The insane lines will be for Rare, because it's called Rare. Anyone waiting more than 10-15 minutes for reg BCBS is doing it wrong.

Cowboys9 and Techichi like this.
  32. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (2,347) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina
    Society

I'd like to know where they're getting their info because according to this: https://label.tabc.state.tx.us/esd3-tlabel/ the only approved labels are for Prop and Coffee. BCBS is also approved but the BCBS label was pushed through only for 25 oz bottles...

33. BullDoza

Trader

link didn't tak me to anything regarding BC. Pop over to the Austin thread and ask. Also, how/why would Prop have label approval in Texas? It's Chicago only.

chrismann65 likes this.
  34. aschwab

aschwab Zealot (501) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

I have yet to get an answer from their rep on that. I don't think she fully is aware of what is going on there but just gets word from headquarters.

35. Techichi

Techichi Devotee (490) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

It's not Chicago only this year.

36. BullDoza

Trader

not sure how I missed that. When was that announced? I'm almost positive that early print said its be Chicago only as in previous years. Awesome if true...I'll gladly pass on Rare for a maple syrup BC.

37. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (2,347) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina
    Society

1. Click "Continue"
    2. In "Brand Name" enter "Bourbon County"
    3. In the "Type" drop down menu select "Malt Beverage"
    4. Click "Search"

38. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aspirant (219) Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Trader

This is incorrect (at least in terms of selling bottles in somewhere other than Chicago.)

As has been mentioned previously, GI probably gets label approval from Prop so they can pour at events etc, not to sell bottles.

brock125, BullDoza and Heretic42 like this.
  39. erushing

Has anyone ever seen Prop poured in Texas in the past? I've seen quite a few events pour the other special variant (Backyard Rye, Vanilla Rye) in the past, but never Prop.

Also, all the press for the release definitely says Prop is Chicagoland release only, like every year.

BullDoza likes this.
  40. wiingman

wiingman Initiate (182) Aug 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Prop has been poured at Migration Week in other cities (Phoenix for example a few weeks ago). So they are getting label approval for Prop just in case they want to pour it at Migration Week or other events through the year.

tx_beer_man and aschwab like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.