Bourbon County Coffee 2015 - Gusher?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by siege06nd, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siege06nd

siege06nd Savant (968) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia

cracked one open today that had been in my basement and it had a moderate gush. Tastes OK, tho the coffee qualities would be difficult to differentiate from any possible infection flavors.

Anyone else had this happen?

2. mendvicdog

mendvicdog Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2006 Maryland
    ¡Bad Trader!

Yes. A friend had this happen as well.

3. jimmypa

jimmypa Initiate (166) Nov 15, 2012 Pennsylvania

Oh no... Say it ain't so!

4. Beer_Line

Beer_Line Disciple (305) May 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Probably explains the lack of BCBCS bottles circulating this year. (they thought they caught all the infected bottles before they went out)

5. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (303) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

If this is true it was bound to happen at some point. I for one will hold off on worrying until we have more info.

jrnyc likes this.
  6. starrdogg

starrdogg Crusader (786) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Opened a bottle on Saturday with no such problems. Tasted wonderful as always too!

7. hunninghake

hunninghake Initiate (189) Nov 21, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Was cracking bottles all around town last week and nothing but sweet BCBCS nectar within. Nothing reverberating on the local front either. Methinks this be a very isolated incident.

Loops, jrnyc and dettocs like this.
  8. WortCraft

WortCraft Initiate (130) Feb 20, 2014 California

Opened my only bottle last night. Not a big fan..had a cherry tart/tang at the end. Definitely felt like it was going to sour up eventually. Thinner than last years batch and the coffee roast seemed to be weakened by this cherry tart flavor.

budsandsuds8, Badfish and Collin7 like this.
  9. wifehatesthebike

wifehatesthebike Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2008 Michigan

I opened one and it taste off as well. Not terrible but not up to par. Hope my others are better.

poniexpress and Collin7 like this.
  10. Mitchell-Lees

Mitchell-Lees Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 Indiana

Had one while opening presents this morning. As stated about had this off fruity tartness on the back end. My brother had one of his bottles at the same time and his did not have the same problem. I don't think this is the case with the vast majority of the bottles.

11. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (465) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Just opened a Morningwood Coffee Stout by odd side, and it has that off taste. I've opened two others on different occasions without that issue.

Anyway, just wondering if the whole off taste we are experiencing has nothing to do with the beer, but rather the food we are consuming these holidays.

12. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (457) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Had two bottles none gushed but one seemed to be more carbed than the other.

13. Themightywrenn

Themightywrenn Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2015 California

Just cracked a 15 bcbcs and while it wasn't a gusher, it had definite off flavors and carb... buttery, tart end, undeniably infected. Sad.

LakerLeith, ShanePB, DaverCS and 5 others like this.
  14. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I think that the beers I have had that were infected displayed this exact quality. The most recent being a lager (not bourbon county) that tasted sour or tart.

tillmac62 likes this.
  15. MasterPenguins

MasterPenguins Disciple (310) May 16, 2014 Indiana

In the cases that my local liquor store got of BCBCS this year there was one bottle out of the twelve the was about half full but still sealed. It was also covered in dust and the bottle just looked dirty. The manager opened it and took a sip. Not much coffee, and had a cherry-like tartness at the end. I smelled it (not brave enough to taste it haha) and it definitely didn't smell right.

He hadn't talked to anyone who had opened one of the other eleven bottles in that case to see if it was just this one weird bottle...

My guess is that there were some bad bottles, and GI was trying to catch them before they went out, but some made it through.

16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,859) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I've had infected sours before, and the off notes that hit were sour tart cherries. For that particular beer it made it taste kinda like Cherry Rye. But with BC Coffee I'd be pissed.

17. Themightywrenn

Themightywrenn Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2015 California

Definitely not happy about it haha

Beer_Line likes this.
  18. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2012 Michigan

Had a gusher a few weeks ago....will not trade for any more! They had to know infected bottles got out, they do batch testing. That's the part that gets me. Thanks d-bags for wasting liver space.

19. UTvols05

UTvols05 Initiate (62) Jan 11, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

Currently drinking one that I purchased in Georgia...

Nose is somewhat coffee forward, but more vegetal/green than the draft version I had...

Taste is really off. At first, it tastes almost salty; not finding the roasted coffee I picked up in the nose. The finish is borderline awful... Tart cherry and sour funk.

Also, to reflect what others have said, the body seems unusually thin.

I have a handful more of these and have also given/traded a few away. Really hope that the ones I gave away are a better experience for the recipients than this one was for me.

Clarkson, gjoker321 and HopBroker like this.
  20. rab53

rab53 Poo-Bah (1,964) May 1, 2005 Washington

Only bottle I've opened (so far) foamed over onto the counter unexpectedly. Tasted fine once it warmed up a bit.

21. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,254) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Wow, that sucks! And I was bummed that I got 0 bottles of BCBCS this year.

22. jssf

jssf Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 California

I tried a BCS for the first time (my first bourbon barrel aged anything) last night. It was a 2014 regular, delicious, but I don't know how you drink a full bottle of that on your own. In fairness I had already had an Enjoy By and a Damnation, but I basically had to split half a bottle with my wife with the rest left for today. I found a little went a long way.

I think this why I haven't bought Prairie Bomb to try. Intimidated...

23. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,016) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone experiencing this contacted goose island yet? I have found them pretty responsive to complaints, and if you don't tell them they can't track down the batches that might be having an issue

24. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,250) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

25. Soneast

Soneast Champion (811) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Well the fact that there is sourness, and the body of the beer has thinned out and there is extra carbonation which indicates additional (unintentional) fermentation after the beer was bottled. Yep, there is no doubt in my mind that some bottles of BCBCS are definitely infected. If it were anybody but Goose Island, I doubt you would be defending them.

FYI, I had an infected bottle as well, which I drain poured. Oh, and I'd love to send the rest of my infected BCBCS to whichever douche bag responds with "send me the rest." Just send me a postage paid, self-addressed box.

26. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,381) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

I friend opened a bottle up for me and it was really good. No signs of infection that I could tell. Tastes like bourbon county and espresso.

27. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,859) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

The gushing and sour cherry hits are a dead give away. Neither are representative of anything BC.

cavedave and Collin7 like this.
  28. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,101) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

I am assuming if this was a wide-spread problem this thread would be blowing up.

chrismann65 likes this.
  29. HopBroker

HopBroker Disciple (373) Jun 5, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Good 'ol AB quality control

HattedClassic, SlothB77 and ericwo like this.
  30. Soneast

Soneast Champion (811) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Hey! You weren't supposed to take me up on the offer. Now I have to admit that I lied and only purchased one bottle. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

31. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Aspirant (226) Dec 21, 2013 New York
    Trader

No big loss..SMS will be out soon..cheaper and better..

32. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan

Mine was not a gusher but it did taste awful. All I tasted was sour coffee, no bourbon or beer taste at all. I did have a 2014 coffee back in February and it was great.

Themightywrenn likes this.
  33. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,080) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

This thread had me wondering, so popped my only bottle last night. No gushing, no infection, but the beer was just a routinely good coffee stout, nothing like the wonder of previous vintages. A bit sad, but glad I didn't buy a bunch.

I'd take SMS any day!

34. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,593) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

FWIW I have tasted too many beers with infections, and I read the coffee tasting notes you linked, and in my opinion this beer is infected. It isn't unusual for only some few beers out of a batch to show infection, and others are fine. What folks are describing here, i.e. overcarbonation, muted flavors, lactic tart, sour cherry finish are the hallmarks of a young infection.

35. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (90) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Poetic Justice

SLewis, hopnado, MisterB330 and 4 others like this.
  36. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Poo-Bah (1,732) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Society Trader

I hate not having a more credible source for this (so take with the appropriate amount of salt), but a friend and I were discussing the relative rareness of the coffee variant this year. He went to Rare Day and one of the GI employees obliquely mentioned there not being much coffee this year because they had to dump some that wasn't up to their standards. No specific mention of an infection, because I'm sure they know just as well as any brewer that the dreaded I-word is an open invitation for internet rabble rousers to out the pitchforks. But in hindsight, it seems like this might have been what they were referring to. Given the fact that it seems relatively isolated *and* the scarcity of Coffee this year, you can't really fault GI for not doing the right thing here. Sounds like some may have just slipped through the cracks.

It's a little bittersweet, because BCBCS is certainly my favorite coffee-infused stout, and might be my favorite stout overall. I was disappointed to not get my hands on any and had pretty much resigned myself to being unable to trade for any given the seeming scarcity and the high value for which it seemed to be trading. At this point, I don't think I'll be trying to trade for any, because even though the issue seems to be fairly infrequent, I'd hate to go through the hassle, extra expense and lost bottles to get a bottle only to find it tart/flavorless/overcarbonated/etc.

Hahaha, well if he hadn't taken you up on it, I was going to. But props to you for admitting it on the thread--you could have just BM'd him with your mea culpa :grinning:

37. BlakeAM

BlakeAM Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Illinois

Interesting, I traded for two Sunday Morning Stouts last year and so far, the one I've opened was sour as the dickens. Infection city.

Matthouse3 likes this.
  38. PuckIt

PuckIt Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Pennsylvania

I had a regular BCBS 15 do a minor gush on me, but it tasted great. Took about 5 seconds before it started to foam over, but not with any sort of force.

39. mendvicdog

mendvicdog Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2006 Maryland
    ¡Bad Trader!

I had two bottles recently. Neither gushed.

One was colder and tasted good if a little thin compared to prior batches. Was definitely my least favorite of any of the coffee BCBS bottles I've had over the years though. You could get a slight off flavor in the finish but nothing major.

The second bottle was room temp and had been shipped to me. Smelled great but as soon as you tasted it, it was obvious it was infected. It seemed to be in the middle of the infection and not completely sour, but it was still very off.

I've had plenty of infected bottles before. I know what an infection tastes like.

Sucks. I'd recommend keeping your infected bottles in case Goose does something about it.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  40. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (465) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Yep, a definite sour / tartness in my bottle...damn, really really freaking disappointed right now.

My bottle was not a gusher. Barely any head at all during a slow pour.

Bottled 09/17/15 Batch 1048 (? Not exactly sure what that # is).

#40 Lazhal, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    KBS and saliro5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.