Bourbon County Coffee 2015 - Gusher?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by siege06nd, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

That's kinda my read given how hard Coffee is usually to obtain, I've never seen so much offered up FT. Didn't remember seeing any ISO though, could be wrong here, but it's not standing out.

2. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

It is mostly FT from what I have seen, but it is a bit chicken and egg though - last year Coffee was much easier to simply buy. Also, the trade forums have exploded over the last 6 months with some utterly ridiculous posts - I feel like half the posts these days are completely unrealistic. I am ticking off a few wants with the spare bottles I grabbed, but all my trades are $4$ - and no-one is landing any whales with coffee this year - I think a lot of the FT posts are beyond optimistic...

3. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Maven (1,383) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin

A little bit of tartness or a slight fruitiness from the coffee and/or green pepper scent or flavor IS NOT INFECTION.

Anyone stating that it is infected should describe what they taste.

Trolling on FB and "group think" has everyone thinking they taste something wrong with BCBCS.

#183 WI-Beer-Man, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  4. harbinger

harbinger Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2015 District of Columbia

In the interest of science, opened a 17 Sept 1732. No problems, delicious, maybe less intensely coffee flavored than it was on tap. My other bottles have the same code, so fingers crossed the others are also good, assuming the time stamps have any relevance.

5. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (1,071) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

Here's the intelligentsia flavor description of los delirios coffee.

"Juicy peach and sweet lime open up into tangy notes of tamarind. Layers of creamy caramel complement a dark chocolate finish."

Coffee can be a highly acidic drink and intelligentsia is known for unique coffees it might explain some of the confusion but I don't think we can totally write off people reporting infection. Obviously if more people were to try the coffee and the beer it might eliminate this particular variable.

boilermakerbrew likes this.
  6. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Look on untappd too, a good amount of people reporting infection.

chrismann65 likes this.
  7. berto714

berto714 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2014 New York

Yea, the infection thing isn't limited just to BA. I'm also in a Facebook group where there's rampant discussion of infection and drain pours. I posted on here that when I drank a bottle the other night I got slight fruit flavors, but no tartness on the finish, so I didn't think it was infected. But I did leave mine in the fridge since I bought it, so it's possible it was very early stages of infection. It seems like Goose Island is looking into it though, so we should know soon enough.

chrismann65 and jrnyc like this.
  8. haknort

haknort Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Illinois

Same here.

9. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (1,071) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

10. red94tt

red94tt Pundit (945) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Can you clarify a little? Are we talking about Speedway or 7-11 gas station nacho cheese?

B33rN3rd, Vitamin_Hop, IowaPA and 4 others like this.
  11. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Maven (1,383) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin

The Facebook posts are well known trollers. I put zero stock in those posts.

12. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For info the description you added above was from an Intelligentsia article from June 2012. Coffee crops vary from year to year so just because the 2012 crop had those descriptors does not in itself mean the 2015 version did.

13. SlothB77

SlothB77 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

Yes. But the bottle was unopened and i was parked in a parking lot with the car in park. So its ok.

14. SDDLSK

SDDLSK Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2015 Minnesota

Opened one last night for our annual party to kick of the new year. I am not going to say outright that it was infected as I am no expert on the subject. However the aroma as soon as we opened the bottle was different, not anything you would expect from a coffee beer. I know different is a bad description and very vague, but it wasn't an offensive odor, just not anything we expected it to be. The taste was wrong too. If this truly is a world class beer, wow. The two words used by most of the group were "tangy" and "metallic". For those saying just keep it in the fridge, all my bottles are stored in my cellar at 54-55 degrees. Again not sure if this is signs of infection, but I was very disappointed after the effort to obtain this beer.

15. berto714

berto714 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2014 New York

I don't think so - I'm talking about posts in a private group I'm in. Not just general public posts on GI's page or something.

jrnyc likes this.
  16. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

@blue-dream
    is it possible to post/pin an alert on the FT forums about a possible infection of BCBS coffee and all other infected beers in the future? as an FYI to traders?

17. Yohann

Yohann Zealot (708) Apr 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

While 54-55F is way better than room temp, it's not the same as a refrigerator, with respect to preserving adjunct flavors and/or mitigating infection. The closer it's kept to 32F (without going under), the better.

berto714 likes this.
  18. blue-dream

blue-dream Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Virgin Islands (U.S.)

We dont get into trades, trade at your own risk has always been the policy. Im interested in what GI has to say though.

19. aqualung_80

aqualung_80 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2015 Indiana

I was one of the lucky first 100 people in line on Black Friday (#96 to be exact), and for my early morning awakening I received a bag of whole bean Intelligentsia Los Delirios coffee. I consumed the entire bag (in liquid coffee form, just to clarify) between the weeks leading up to Christmas and today - pot after pot after pot of delicious coffee. I was very excited about this BCBCS, as I've never had the chance to try the "base coffee" before.

The flavors you have described are accurate. It's a little tangy up front, with some caramel and chocolate at the end. But at the end of the day, it's coffee. As a 20+ year drinker of coffee I know the taste and smell of coffee. As unique as Intelligentsia may be, I would never confuse it for something else and would expect the general flavor of coffee (with some slight nuances based on the type of coffee) to be imparted on any stout that was blended with it. However, in my bottle it was not. If given a blind taste test of my bottle of BCBCS I would have guessed that it was an incredibly flawed attempt at a tart cherry stout - no bourbon, no coffee, just a sour stout.

Simply put, that bottle was infected as hell and until you have the displeasure of cracking one of your favorite limited beers and tasting instead a rancid mess you'll just have to take my word - and hundreds, nay thousands, of other BA's and untappd'ers words - for it.

GeezLynn, AOTP, Mongrel and 14 others like this.
  20. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well the important thing imo is you need to be clear in mentioning the date of an article (knowing it's outdated) when trying to use its contents therein on the side of your argument.

Finding a mention of this year's harvest, Intelligentsia describes it this way

For over a decade we've seen the Canales family develop and improve their coffee. This year's harvest sets an exciting new standard. We’re impressed by the delicately sweet flavors of cinnamon and sugar underscored by notes of pear and caramel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.