Bourbon County in MA - 2015

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by eb1610, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (136) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Only two bottles left at University Wine in Cambridge. Needless to say, I left the BCBS and bought the Babyaga.

[​IMG]

2. KennyFraser

KennyFraser Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 Massachusetts

That's horrendous, good for you for leaving them there

3. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (642) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Wow...I think they just decided to use their 4-pack price from last year on a single this year.

4. jamis

jamis Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts

Kappy's in Leominster/Fitchburg had about 5-6 cases of BCBS as of yesterday afternoon. $9.99 per bottle.

5. dpatnaude

dpatnaude Initiate (90) Oct 6, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I know the majority, if not all, of the variants have been swept up, but does anyone have a lead on Regal in the greater boston area (hour north/south)??

6. scotorum

scotorum Poo-Bah (2,041) May 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

Plenty of regular in Western Mass. for $10-13. Have not seen any variants. Since it is in what most would likely consider a less convenient format (isn't 12 ounces of 14% enough for one person in one sitting?) and about 20% more costly per ounce than last year, there is some possibility it will linger even longer than usual (I bought my last fourpack of 2014 just down the road on May 2, 2015). So any BAs who want some and it's sold out where you live, come by the Massachusetts frontier and chances are you'll be able to grab as much as you want. No sales tax on it either. But sorry, we can't legally trade you for any in the mail.

7. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (558) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Aside from BW I think you're SOL. Friend of mine who works for a distributor mentioned that his region was short 100 cases thanks to Goose Island. Not sure why, but that's what I've heard.

8. KennyFraser

KennyFraser Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 Massachusetts

You can try calling East Gate Liquors in Wilmington, they had a few bottles of Regal on Saturday morning when I was there, not sure if they lasted the weekend though. Price was around $30/bottle (which is why I settled for regular and BW). They had a good amount of BW still there as of Saturday as well so maybe worth a call to check before driving there.

9. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I'm still trying to find the barleywine and can't find it anywhere along the southern stretch of 495 (Franklin to the Pike).

10. -Rick

-Rick Zealot (530) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Super Liquors in Framingham still has it. Only about 10 minutes from where 495 and the Pike meet.

11. benzalman

benzalman Devotee (460) Apr 25, 2009 California
    Trader

The Regals were gone in under an hour.

12. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (211) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Has anyone heard of extra variants dropping along with regular? I can't believe how scarce those have been this year, with all of New England barely getting anything!

13. jamis

jamis Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts

Confirmed. They have one left at $14.99 as of about 11:45am. Lots of regular.

bruindre likes this.
  14. jmogator

jmogator Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2011 Massachusetts

I bought a couple bottles of coffee from them this year for $13. The distributor screwed them over on the price of regular for some reason.

15. aetherness

aetherness Initiate (54) Aug 28, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Supreme Liquors in Central Square has BCBS bottles for $7.99 and cases for $90. They have 40+ cases left.

jlordi12 likes this.
  16. aetherness

aetherness Initiate (54) Aug 28, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I was there last week and was able to pick up 4 bottles of Coffee for $14 a pop, awesome guys, but they were gouged on regular for some reason.

17. HuskyHawk

wow.

Mikeypnh and meefmoff like this.
  18. Duhast500

Duhast500 Meyvn (1,424) Nov 14, 2007 Rhode Island

At that price you might as well get a bottle of Bourbon.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  19. DirtWolfof369

DirtWolfof369 Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Massachusetts

More likely they had to take the hit from their distributor of being charged $250 for a case as some people have said in this post. Imagine all the other stores that were stuck with taking that $250 hit and probably will want to return it back to the distributor if it sit on their shelf 6months from now.

20. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (837) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

AB totally bunged this release. I have heard of places that had regular for 9-12 a bottles, but I saw it for $30 at one store, and another store where i talk to the beer guys said he would have had to price it above $30 if he took the case or 2 they offered him so he declined. I'm glad I bought a case in 2013 and still haven't touched it because I think I'm done with Bourbon county unless its on tap

21. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Least I've seen in years, highest price I've paid. Doing a '12-'15 tasting as a tribute to the last bottles of this I'll ever buy. No tears will be shed.

22. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Aspirant (273) Jun 22, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

I don't know enough about the industry to be sure, but I can't help but feel this is more a distributor issue than anything. I purchased 2 bottles for 10.99 and one bottle for 9.99. It's an increase from last year, but it's not exorbitant. Given that it can be gotten at a reasonable price in the state, it seems the stores selling for $30 are either being ridiculous, or the distributors are.

23. DirtWolfof369

DirtWolfof369 Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Massachusetts

It's the distributor at the end of the day. You can't really blame liquor stores for wanting to jump on the Goose Island bourbon county hype train. As others have previously posted; the distributor usually offers stores a price break from $250 down to $85 for regular bourbon county. But these stores were offered a take 40 cases of regular goose island year round products to get 5 cases of regular bourbon county or take 70 cases to get 15 cases of regular bourbon county and be allowed to make profit between $9 to $15 dollar without causing a bad reputation for their store as being too expensive. Then again imagine if rare hit MA, I'm sure you would see stores trying to rip people off and sell them for $70 to $99 for 1 frigging bottle.

24. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (642) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

I dunno, if I were a shop owner the $30 tag would be a bad look, even if it's not my fault. I would probably either turn it down, or just get a case and offer free or MSRP bottles to the best 12 customers (whether 12 "holds" on an email list, facebook messaging etc).

But I am not a shop owner so mine is definitely an uninformed opinion :-)

25. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (136) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thanks for the tip. I picked up a couple of bottles last night around 9pm. Large stack of 20+ of cases on the floor.

26. skleice

skleice Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Any place near Springfield where I could find some regular at decent price/limit?

27. DZachariah

DZachariah Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2014 Massachusetts

I'd try Table & Vine in W Springfield. They got 35 cases for the first drop. Not sure what they got on the second, but their prices are usually reasonable.

28. skleice

I'll give them a call. I figured a place like that would get cleaned out super quick. That would be very convenient.

29. HuskyHawk

I found a place in metrowest with both regular at $9.49 and barleywine at $10.99. One bottle limit, so bm me if you want info, after I send my friend to mule me a second bottle of barleywine.

30. lic217

lic217 Savant (924) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Thinking the same. I have three bottles of 12,13,and14. Have not gotten any this year but if I do, it will be one bottle for my final vertical. When I started doing the verticals it was six bucks a bottle, which would mean a six year vert (my goal) would be 36 bucks, now it would be 60 plus. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

fearfactory and AirBob like this.
  31. 2ellas

2ellas Devotee (485) Feb 20, 2014 New Hampshire

I'm heading down to Carver today with the fam. Any places I should be able to grab a few bottles or a reasonably priced case in that area or along the way?

32. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (158) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

The store @HuskyHawk alluded to may be on your way depending on which way you're coming.

2ellas likes this.
  33. HuskyHawk

Single bottle limit on regular and they are out of barleywine it seems. But Union Street liquors in Franklin will have single bottles of regular at 10.99 I believe, and the owner said he sold someone a case on Black Friday.

2ellas likes this.
  34. xugrad13

xugrad13 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Going to be in the metro west area this weekend, any place still have bcbs sitting around?

35. -Rick

Trader

there is still a lot of regular and barley still around. Where in Metro West will you be?

36. HuskyHawk

Where is there more barleywine? After getting one bottle, I can't find any more.

37. -Rick

Trader

Super Liquors in Framingham has bottles of BCBBW left.

38. xugrad13

xugrad13 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Dover, so super liquors in Framingham works! Thank you

39. skleice

Any tips on where to get upwards of a case of regular? I'm in CT, but willing to make a drive if I can lock up a bit without hopping all over the place.

40. mpom99

mpom99 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2015 Massachusetts

East gate liquor in Wilmington had a bunch as of a week ago. I believe $9.99 per.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.