Boycotting 10 Barrel & Elysian

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Reidrover, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Zealot (508) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

i won't go to the tap houses, or buy their beer but at a share I'll try stuff. GI is one thing but NW is different.

2. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,461) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

I've read all the posts in this thread now, great discussion. There's no real absolute right or wrong here (and if I'm a little incoherent it's the Spring Elixir talking, man that one is sneaky). As much as possible I avoid buying products that were likely produced in sweatshops, and for years I have focused deliberately on buying US-made products whenever possible—I've spent a lot of money on Filson, Wolverine, Chippewa, Red Wing, etc.—not to mention that probably 90% of the beer I drink (something I've also spent a lot of money on) is made in the USA by mostly local, privately owned breweries. And beyond that, I buy a lot of products made in the EU, which probably has regulations/standards at least as stringent as those in the U.S.

But I have no illusions about the impact I'm having, and for the most part I choose these brands and products as much because I really like them and know they're made well as anything having to do with foreign ownership, workers' rights, etc. We all have to choose what compromises we're willing to make and what we're just not OK with. Very few if any of us are in a position to judge anyone else on their choices in this regard. I don't support some of the U.S. government's policies, but I still dutifully pay my taxes every year. At the end of the day, it's all just a big cost/benefit analysis. And that's only if we are making a conscious effort in our choices about consumption to begin with—which is probably a small percentage of people.

That we have the freedom to make these choices in the first place is something we can all celebrate.

3. hannont

hannont Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2008 Oregon

There was a time in the not so distant past when I drank Widmer, Goose Island and and 10 Barrel beers. I based what I drank on perceived quality and didn't really give much consideration to ABI's cumulative effect on craft beer.

Then came the following message from ABI...

It's not brewed to be fussed over....It's brewed for drinking. Not dissecting. The people who drink our beer are people who like drinking beer. To drink beer brewed the hard way. Let them sip their pumpkin peach ale. We'll be brewing us some golden suds.

Their desire foster an us vs. them mentality with this spot gave me pause to question their motives and I began to consider if was ABI having a net positive/negative/neutral effect on craft beer. Their apparent desire to parlay increasing control over shelf space and distribution with resources at their disposal to impose ongoing deleterious tactics led me to conclude that I should no longer support them. Will I be picketing 10 Barrel? Probably not, but I do intend to drainpour a significant amount of bourbon county.

woemad and Reidrover like this.
  4. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,526) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

I doubt t will work in Oregon or Washington.For a while i saw a lot of GI IPA taps now its rare .

5. tozerm

tozerm Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2005 Washington

Yes they did. They offer GI and Shock Top kegs for $60 (1/2bbls) for a 6 or 8 week period last summer. The price break was in effect for two week, off for two, back on for two. They also offered the sales reps a $500 giftcard for a sale of 3 kegs. I personally worked with distributor reps that confirmed it. And yes, it is totally illegal UNLESS they can show on an invoice that the distributor bought the keg from the brewery for less than $60. Who knows what kind of accounting shenanigans went with this promo.. but it did happen.

woemad, beertunes and Gobigvt7 like this.
  6. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,057) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Yep, some of my neighborhood restaurants replaced Manny's or Inversion with Goose Island IPA. Most have ditched GI IPA and gone back to their standard beer, but it was such a sudden change for no real reason that it has to be this.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  7. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,459) Oct 25, 2003 China
    Moderator Society Trader

We saw the same thing down here in Eugene a few months back. All of sudden, you could find the GI IPA all over town. However, the beer didn't seem to sell well, and so it was actually available at several places for a number of weeks. I assume that once the deal was over, no one re-ordered it. I haven't seen any GI stuff (other than the barrel aged sours) in some time.

Not that I care one way or the other, but I remember when this information was posted a few months back (huge discount on GI core beers), it struck me as another really stupid thing for AB-I to do. If I'm a merchant, and you're willing to sell me kegs of GI for $60, then in my mind that's the price for it. If the next time I express an interest in getting a keg, and it's now $120 for a keg, do you really think I'm going to buy any? If I'm ever going to buy GI again, it's going to be at that "regular price," or I just won't get it. Period.

woemad likes this.
  8. SeattleBeerMan

SeattleBeerMan Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2015 Washington

I worked at a Seattle bottleshop last year and we were getting 1/2bbl kegs of Goose Island's Honker's ESB for $47 dollars... a blatant attempt to just buy handles for the summer months... and it worked!!!!!

9. Reidrover

Society

So if this GI shenanigans didnt work ,up here at least , it might have worked tremendously in other regions, then I doubt they will try that with Elysian Immortal or 10 Barrel Apocalypse IPAs.
    They may try drown other markets in Elysian stuff though ( I think 10 Barrels is too small unless they manufacture their stuff at one of the big Bud breweries).
    But could you imagine what would happen if a large independent brewery had tried that?
    The AB lobbyists would be swarming Olympia and Salem wanting strong laws etc.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,341) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

I'm not sure drainpouring is the right response. That money has already been spent, and is in a Brazilian bank now. If you've got it, and enjoy the stuff, might as well drink it. They'll never know your protest beers went down the sewer. But hey, it's your beer, do what ya want with it.

11. draheim

Agree w/ this. Unless it's done publicly as a form of protest, pouring a bunch of BCBS down the drain will achieve literally nothing to change anything you are unhappy about. The beer is already bought and paid for; if you don't want to drink it, find a worthy charity and donate it as an auction item or something. Or sell the beer to someone else and use the proceeds to support a cause. It could even be an independent/craft beer-related cause. Turn swords into plowshares.

12. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,341) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

I generally prefer to turn beers into my belly, but, whatever works for you.

draheim likes this.
  13. draheim

I'd rather turn beer into urine and leave my belly out of it altogether.

tozerm and beertunes like this.
  14. ricke49

ricke49 Initiate (0) May 2, 2004 Oregon

I did experience a visual mindf*ck about two days ago when I drove past the 10 Barrel production facility at 62970 18th Street in N.E. Bend, and I saw a huge BUD LIGHT-clad semi-truck backed up to the loading dock. I'll forever regret not stopping and clicking a pic.

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  15. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

It was probably dropping off or picking up beer, just like it was before AB bought them. We're not owned by AB, but we have a gigantic red Budweiser logo'd truck that pulls up in front of the shop twice a week. Then the driver gets out and brings us 10 Barrel (even before the buyout) Occidental, Firestone Walker, Commons, Logsdon, Ninkasi, Hop Valley, Rochefort, and a whole bunch of other tasty beer. We also get trucks plastered with logos from Boneyard, Modelo, Terminal Gravity, Goodlife, Deschutes, and others. It's a friggin rolling billboard, and any brewery with money to spare will pay to have a truck wrapped.

I'm not sure where I was going with that, other than to say that the presence of a truck covered in advertising shouldn't be a mindfuck.

woemad, beertunes, NWer and 1 other person like this.
  16. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,459) Oct 25, 2003 China
    Moderator Society Trader

Ummmm.... initially I thought you were trying to say that just because a truck has pictures of Bud lite plastered on it's sides, doesn't necessarily mean it was there to drop off bud lite (or other ABI products). However, after reading through your entire post, now I'm not so sure. :-)

17. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Zealot (501) Mar 14, 2009 Oregon

WTF? The fact you don't list this on your web site is despicable. Your undying loyalty to AB-InBev cannot go unpunished. I shall no longer frequent your establishment.

Aestro and maltmaster420 like this.
  18. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,379) May 12, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

I find it odd how defensive of InBev, or at least the backlash against InBev, some of the posts are in this thread. I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the "I just drink what tastes good" approach to life that seems to disregard any and all thought and consideration.

I chuckled at the Sounders game last week when I saw handles of 10 Barrel IPA (new this year, shocker), Goose Island IPA and Elysian (some shitty beer) all in a row at the concessions. Thanks god there were balebreaker/fremont tap handles to be found elsewhere.

CaptainQ, NWer and Reidrover like this.
  19. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

I'm not sure either. To be honest, I spent the better part of the afternoon blending beer at Cascade for a CBC event, so I probably shouldn't even be using the computer right now. Last time I posted here after drinking a bunch of beer I earned myself a one week "time out." :flushed:

beertunes, BuckeyeOne and TaborTime like this.
  20. draheim

Maybe playing devil's advocate a little bit here, maybe not, but what's wrong with that? For a lot of people, beer is simply a beverage to be enjoyed, and nothing more. It's not some kind of statement about who they are. Is that any less of a reason to drink beer than any other? I mean, we're talking about a luxury item, not a life necessity.

beertunes likes this.
  21. SlightlyStoopidG

SlightlyStoopidG Initiate (92) Jul 22, 2012 Ohio

Dumbest post of 2015. I hope you're not after any of that BCBS either.

22. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,153) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Thanks for contributing!

23. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Crusader (775) Mar 9, 2008 Washington
    Society

I think "Slightly" is the poster giving himself the benefit of the doubt. It's posts like that above that take away all doubt.

66jzmstr, strongaf, vurt and 2 others like this.
  24. dirtylou

Trader

It's a luxury item, as basically everything we buy is, sure. To clarify, I'd argue very much against beer simply being a beverage to be enjoyed by the users of this forum, unless of course people post on forums about all of their luxury items. The craft beer world is a very communal one - it just makes more sense to me to support members of that community rather than organizations posing as members of the community.

NWer and SeaAle like this.
  25. draheim

Thanks for clarifying. I agree with you that for a lot of us, beer goes beyond just a tasty beverage and it is, for lack of a better term, a community. Where I think I draw the line though is to suggest that that's the best, or only legitimate, reason or way to drink beer. People do all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons, and nobody has a claim on the "right" way or reason. That just strikes me as kind of elitist.

As for which organizations are posing as members of the community, vs. who are the "true" members, I think there are a lot of gray areas there and it's probably not nearly as black and white as you'd like it to be. Which takes me back to my original point, that we all have a right to spend our own money as we see fit, and nobody else is in a position to judge us for it.

sharpski likes this.
  26. dirtylou

Trader

There is so much judgment going in both directions in this thread - I'm judging people who think its cool to drink Goose Island IPA and others are judging those who think its not.

I don't think its wrong or elite to encourage people to support local companies with local interest and profits that benefit the local economy.

In some nice irony, that awful Budweiser peach-pumpkin commercial is airing RIGHT NOW as I type this. So yeah, I feel pretty strongly about my opinion.

27. draheim

I agree there's a lot of judging going on, all I'm saying is it's all hypocritical. There's not a single person who has posted on this thread who hasn't participated to some degree in the global economy or supported in some way unethical business practices and an unfair labor environment. Why this matters so much when it comes specifically to beer is beyond me. People who buy only local/independent beer but get a new iPhone every year don't have a lot of room to judge anyone else.

sharpski likes this.
  28. BuckeyeOne

Society

If there was a local business that designed and built smartphones of better quality and had the features and national cellular coverage of my iPhone, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Alas, there is not.

29. dirtylou

Trader

Yeah - that argument is really getting tiring. It has no relevance here, and has been properly critiqued by a number of people already - happy to go back and quote them...

30. BuckeyeOne

Society

To whom are you replying?

31. draheim

Just so we're all clear, I'm not judging anyone for buying an iPhone or a Bud Light. And a smartphone is about as much of a necessity as beer, so you can always choose not to buy one at all. At the end of the day though, one way or another, we're all complicit.

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  32. dirtylou

Trader

One above you, sir.

33. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Bravo. Truer words have not been said.

34. BuckeyeOne

Society

And just so we're clear --- if you're on BA and you're concerned about the reach of ABI to invest time and money in limiting the craft beer options in your own community and other communities but you continue to buy BCBS and Space Dust, you can rest assured that I'm going to judge you and feel quite righteous in doing so. That is hypocrisy and just plain stupid. Refusing to support companies that fight my own self-interest is not the same as me purchasing a mass-manufactured commodity when a craft option is not truly available.

I can and will refuse to buy ABI or more specifically BMC due their goal of reducing my own craft beer options, refuse to shop at QFC (and other Kroger stores) due to their open carry policies, and refuse to eat Chick-fil-A due to their anti-gay marriage support. At the same time, I have no problem buying Nikes and Apple products. As I stated previously, I hold to my principles on things that I really care about and have some ability to affect. And I don't find this hypocritical in any way. With that said, you can feel free to judge me --- that's your right. I think we don't judge each other enough and don't do enough to hold each other to some modicum of social responsibility --- see my posts on behavior at the Fremont UBG. This laissez faire social contract is for the birds.

Providence, Kuaff and Reidrover like this.
  35. BuckeyeOne

Society

True dat. I couldn't live without either. Well, I could but my quality of life would diminish significantly.

36. Reidrover

Society

I would not advocate withdrawing from modern life just being able to choose wisely.
    Unfortunately we live in a corporate age...but with so much info available now its easier not to choose the worst of each sector of business.
    I see dishonesty as a line in the sand for me when it comes to buying products.
    Though some do not i see the hiding of your true owners dishonest

37. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (360) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I've never owned an iPhone, so there. :slight_smile:

draheim likes this.
  38. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (121) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Look, I don't think anyone was happy or excited when 10 Barrel announced they had sold. Most Oregonians, at least in Portland and Bend, seem averse to big business/corporations. Look at how New Seasons has been able to thrive above Whole Foods, which doesn't seem to be the case in any other cities. What was even more puzzling was when AB bought Elysian and then proceeded to shit all over them with their Super Bowl commercial. So I think the problem most people have is that AB seems to want to control the craft market themselves as opposed to really advancing it. So far they have not made any noticeable changes at 10 Barrel, Elysian and Goose Island, but who's to say what will happen down the road.

I am a little surprised that 10 Barrel went ahead with the Portland Brewpub and I'm interested to see what the reaction will be there. I personally am not eager to get in there, but I would like to eventually try whatever beers Whitney is able to create and judge for myself. The place itself looks awesome.

39. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (360) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Well, with the exception of all the regular Goose Island beers now being brewed at Budweiser breweries. It will be interesting to see if they do the same thing with 10 Barrel and Elysian.

40. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (121) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Ok. I hesitated to add them since I honestly didn't know if there had been any big changes there or not. Everyone still loves BCBS, so clearly the AB ownership hasn't changed that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.