Brew Masters or Dark Horse Nation?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Aaron_Kerkvliet, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron_Kerkvliet

Aaron_Kerkvliet Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Wisconsin

I'm interested to know if people who watched Brew Masters (Dogfish Heads show circa 2010) and people who have been watching Dark Horse Nation have a preference. To me Brew Masters seemed lot more beercentric compared to Dark Horse Nation, which is obviously aiming at a larger audience than the beer savvy folks reading this post.

It seemed to me Brew Masters was more involved in the process and business of beer. Dark Horse Nation on the other hand, though entertaining, seems to be focused on pulling in a larger audience. So i'm curious which show you all like better so far. Thoughts?

2. Lochnessmonster

Lochnessmonster Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2013 Florida

Between those two I'd go with Brew Masters, but I enjoy the irreverence of Brew Dogs more than both of 'em.

3. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Zealot (583) Jul 7, 2012 California
    Trader

dark horse is more a reality show and they happen to brew beer
    brew dogs is fun and about brewing beer although the beer is not good
    brew masters is in between LOL

JuliusPepperwood likes this.
  4. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

Dark Horse makes me wonder sometimes if I'm paying so much for beer because of the ingredients and quality or if I'm paying this much more so these guys can build expensive toys to play with on my dime

5. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (211) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Dark Horse Nation makes me sad. They are trying so hard to make a successful reality show, but they don't really have any compelling characters. I don't know if it's too young of a show, but everything is just so bland. As a craft beer enthusiast, there really isn't anything that makes me want to keep watching, and the show isn't good enough on it's own to keep me watching.

I really preferred Brew Masters. Not only was it more beer centric, but Sam is a much more interesting character. Even though they reminded you every episode how beer was made, it didn't feel nearly as forced as the Dark Horse show.

I even had some 4 Elf while watching the last episode as a last resort. Still couldn't drum up the magic. Just not a fan of the show, still love the beers they pump out though.

russpowell and Nick_V like this.
  6. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,005) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Word on the block is Dark Horse beers are flying off the shelf right now! Should of increased capacity before not after the show, this will not only bite you in the ass but poison your future sales.

russpowell likes this.
  7. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

8. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (471) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I personally prefer Beer Geeks.
    Guess it's syndicated, and not on everywhere, but it's definitely beer-centric, not there for weird stuff, just visiting the breweries, then a nearby restaurant where they do a pairing dinner.

9. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,143) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

This, I actually kept falling asleep watching several of the Brewmasters episodes. Would probably still take the DFH show over the Dark Horse show...

10. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,143) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Saw one episode, looked pretty good, sadly not on in my TV market area. Get with the program Tulsa, OKC has it...

11. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Brew Masters is the Dogfish Head one? The shows where he traveled were awesome. It made me jealous in a way. I tried to watch about 2 minutes of Dark Horse Nation but those beards, man, they're just ridiculous. As I watched the show, it occurred to me that when a girl kisses any of those guys, it's the equivalent of going down on an unshaven gal. How do these dudes with big beards get laid?

Anyway, yeah, Sam Calagione is an interesting dude. The bearded bruhs, not so much.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  12. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Dark horse beers are priced the same as every other craft beer out there of similar quality. The guy created a successful brewery that puts out some great beers, he should do whatever he wants with his money

13. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Dark Horse Nation made me feel as if I was getting stupider the longer I watched. I didn't make it through the first episode.
    I didnt think Brew Masters was very compelling.
    I think Brew Dogs is fun to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.