Brewbies Festival 2014

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by mrkrispy, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Disciple (342) Apr 5, 2006 California

After I saw the taplist last year for Brewbies I swore I would be attending in 2014....Melanie put together IMO the best taplist for a non-beer week event in San Diego. I tried to find a copy of the taplist from last year but haven't had luck yet. This year will be at the under-construction Bagby Beer Co. in Oceanside so not sure how the layout is gonna be. I am excited to check it out since I normally try to avoid going anywhere north of the 52 haha.

Does anyone know if food is included in the tickets? It looks like there will be some vendors there but it isn't clear about food.

**For anyone taking trains, be aware the Amtrak isn't operating in San Diego that weekend due to construction*** (Ms.Krispy and I are taking the train)

info: http://action.keep-a-breast.org/Brewbies

2. Iriepirate21

Iriepirate21 Initiate (84) May 2, 2012 California

**For anyone taking trains, be aware the Amtrak isn't operating in San Diego that weekend due to construction*** (Ms.Krispy and I are taking the train)

info: http://action.keep-a-breast.org/Brewbies[/quote]

Question, so can I take the Amtrak from Orange County down to Oceanside on Saturday?

3. mrkrispy

Question, so can I take the Amtrak from Orange County down to Oceanside on Saturday?[/quote]

I am not 100% sure but it looks like Irvine is the last Amtrak stop southbound....here is a link with the construction/closure info (I was planning on using the Amtrak for one of my trips and happened to see the shutdown info on twitter)

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...m_campaign=In+TransitFEB2014&utm_medium=email

4. Goggles99

Goggles99 Initiate (83) Sep 14, 2009 California

if you are in orange county, take the metro link. it is 10 bucks round trip but the last train leaves at 5:30. according to the metrolinktrains.com they will be running.

5. xraided81

xraided81 Aspirant (254) Jan 9, 2008 California
    Trader

ive attended the 2012, and 2013 Brewbies festival. It was previously held at Pizza Port Carlsbad, and PP broke out a few pizzas here and there on the house. I think it was just them being generous and spur of the moment, rather than pizza being included with the festival. So i would say no, food is not included. They also had the Pizza Port grillmaster cooking bbq sandwiches etc, in years past for a reasonable price. It is one of the best beer festivals i have ever been too, and a great cause i look forward to this event every year. Some favorites from last year, Alpine Pink Nelson, Avery Pink Berlinerweise, Lost Abbey one off pink Sour, Kern Just Outstanding, El Segundo IPA.

6. mrkrispy

Thx for the heads up on the food.

From Alpine's newsletter it sounds like they will be pouring pink DoubleNelson at the festival. Hopefully a tornado doesn't steal my glass

7. xraided81

Trader

Anyone doing VIP? I already bought a reg ticket but I'm gonna try paying difference at the door. 100% of ticket sales go to charity so it's really a win win situation.

8. ManaKarma

ManaKarma Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2012 California

Also, I've never been to the Bagby site... can we assume there will be inside/covered space?

9. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 California

Its in an empty lot. The brewery hasn't been fully built. However they will have big massive tents.

10. stawn

stawn Initiate (164) Sep 16, 2008 California
    Trader

The GF and I will be attending VIP along with the Krispys. Bagbys announced yesterday they will have two 40'x100' tents to cover pretty much the entire event.

Looking forward to it, and as MrKrispy mentioned, the tap list is going to be fantastic!

11. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

Societe is bringing one of their sours... Maaaaan. I really wish I could go!

12. Buck86

Buck86 Initiate (142) Aug 8, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I do this event every year now and I have to say it was typically better than FWI for me. I say that because the taplist was comparable but because it used to be held in the C-Bad lot of PizzaPort they only sold 300 tickets per session. So 40+ taps for 300 heads is a great way to have a good time. I fear this year (and the new giant lot) will make this much more crowded and taps will blow much faster but no matter how it plays out it will be a great day and it is all for a great cause.

If you don't have plans, I highly recommend you attend this.

13. xraided81

Trader

anyone know if there is a VIP only section? i believe SD Beer week fest used to do this, dont want to miss out on any special beers if its VIP only

14. Buck86

Trader

According to the site, Breweries will have special pours going from 12-1PM (VIP hour) then the regular crowd gets in at 1-5PM so taps will probably start to blow quickly.

15. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (229) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

16. mrkrispy

Surly coming in hot!! Taplist looks fantastic, gonna be a fun event. Bring your parkas and some rope to tie yourselves to a tree during the monsoon!

17. xraided81

Trader

Epic list, So are the VIP beers, for VIP tickets only?

18. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

19. Buck86

Trader

Yeah, I have been spoiled in the past. This year they are asking breweries to man a tent and I think it has scared away a lot of high end participents. I don't see any Russian River or Kern River.. all the rivers are out. Firestone has traditionally shat the bed and no change here.

I went through and marked my ones to try, and have more than enough to keep me busy for 5 hours so I am not complaining. I know it will be a great time tomorrow. Just holding out to see a late keg of PtY again.

20. riko

riko Initiate (119) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

Agreed. And some of them are awesome. Wish I was going...

21. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (916) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Any word on when Bagby Brewery will open it's doors? I know they are delayed.

22. DrtyBvrJuce

That was one helluva fun festival.

23. Buck86

Trader

Agreed, still a really fun event but this year for sure saw some struggles adapting to the new venue and larger crowd. It seemed like they had to make some last minute changes because the tickets said 6x6oz pours and additional could be purchased but upon entry it was unlimited 2-4oz (depending on the booth). The bathroom line was also ~20-30 mins long towards the end which probably led to some ticked off neighbors from all the people peeing in the street.

On the positive side, Lost Abbey and Society Sours were killer, and I lost track of how many elite caliber IPAs were offered up. Loved Tweak from Avery and BeanBump (2x NaugtySauce) from Nobel. To sum it up, amazing beer, raised a bunch of $ for a great charity and an all around great afternoon with only a few operational hiccups.

24. DrtyBvrJuce

The ABC made them change to 2oz unlimited pours. That was not their choice.

Bathroom line was the only downside. I'm sure they went with the recommended # of rentals as suggested by the company but a brewfest needs 2-3x that amount.

25. mrkrispy

I had a blast, the blueberry sour from Lost Abbey was fantastic. So many damn good beers and all the VIP beers made it into the regular session. The bathroom line was the only black mark, and a minor one. I'll definitely be back for 2015

26. xraided81

Trader

Great festival , had a blastt agree on the lost abbey sour this is the 3rd year in a row they have hit off this festival with a one off sour beer . I picked the lost abbey reps brain a bit. I think it was project X barrel one of the components of duck duck gueze with blueberries

27. xraided81

Trader

Some noteworthy highlights, Alpine Pink Duet, Surly Black IPa, beachwood mocha machine& pink ipa,Avery fruit beer Lilikoi I believe, and of course the lost abbey beer, they also had a session ipa that was amazing as we'llwe'll

28. mrkrispy

The Boneyard IIIPA (Notorious?) was pretty good, I had several very good beers from Culture brewing too. I haven't checked them out yet. Cismontane had 4 excellent beers. I wish I would've gotten more of the Societe sour, it was gone when I went back...very promising.

Having BCS on tap was pretty impressive too haha

29. SwillinBrew

SwillinBrew Devotee (474) Oct 8, 2003 California

I was very surprised with the great selection. My favorites were Culture's Raspberry Vanilla Porter and Lost Abbey's Blueberry sour. The remy from Taps was tasting pretty good too (as were alot of the beers).

30. rails

rails Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 California

Notorious & the Lost Abbey Blueberry were bomb. What a great festival can't wait till next year.

31. mattolesh

mattolesh Initiate (54) Sep 30, 2007 California

I heard the same - Project X #2 with blueberries. One of their brewers explained that this was not the same Project X they served a few years back at the BA dinner, but a second batch. Project X is their "spontaneous" sour blond ale. He said they don't pitch any yeast to sour it, it just goes straight into barrels. I didn't get around to asking if the barrels used previously held their sour beer (and presumably leftover yeast).

It was tasty.

32. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

Glad you all had a great time, I don't doubt it was.
    I have a couple questions if anyone wishes to chime in.
    Was the theme hibiscus? I see a lot of it on the tap list, and as a newbie, never heard of it before?
    How was Deschuttes Hop Henge? I think that is a new release this month? Worthy for a hop head?

Thanks in advance!

33. DrtyBvrJuce

If you want hoppy look to other local beers over Deschuttes. They're on the lighter side of things.

34. SageO

SageO Aspirant (213) Jul 13, 2010 California

Some breweries try to make their beers pink for the festival, and hibiscus is one relatively easy way to do so (it’s a natural food coloring).

35. Buck86

Trader

Yeah the past few years the theme seems to be Boob-Pun inspired names (Hakuna-ma-ta-ta's etc) and pink color beers. The Alpine Dual Nips was Duet w/ ruby red grapefruit, and I had also seen beets used in a few brews to pinken them up.

36. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

Thanks for the info, does it have much flavor?

Anyone try to Hop Henge?

37. DougOLis

DougOLis Initiate (91) Aug 15, 2008 California

How was Societitties? What style was it? Was it the same as any of the beers we had at the In The Barrel Room dinner back in November?

38. Iriepirate21

Iriepirate21 Initiate (84) May 2, 2012 California

Societitties WAS BOMB. I must have drank 32 oz of the stuff. (Seriously had 6 or 7 pours) One of the best beers of the day. In no particular order, here were my favorites:
    Keane Idea
    Brewbie Tuesday (Beachwood pink IPa)
    Societities
    Lost Abbey Blueberry Sour
    Bean Bump
    Amarillo Showers
    El Segundo Brewing Triple IPA

An absolute amazing event. All you can drink, elite stuff, for 35 bucks? GTFO. YES. PLEASE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.