Brewcipher 5

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Dec 30, 2017.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,469) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

BrewCipher 5.0 spreadsheet, the Hoppy New Year Edition, is now up for download.

New in Version 5.0:
    - Support for Cryo and CO2 Extract Hops
    - Added Water Temperature Warnings (if required temp exceeds boiling)
    - Some minor tweaks, display fixes, and housekeeping

Feature Recap...
    - Predicts attenuation based not only on yeast strain, but also on mash conditions and grain bill composition
    - Understands that simple sugars are 100% fermentable, and that they are not subject to mash efficiency or yeast strain factors
    - Understands that some gravity contributors are not fermentable at all
    - Accounts explicitly for wort and water losses, and adjusts total water (and related calculations) accordingly
    - Uses a correct Tinseth formula with Avg Boil Gravity in the 'bigness' factor rather than the pre-boil OG (which is both popular and wrong)
    - Incorporates optional Modified Tinseth and Rager Formulas…
    ------ Limits IBUs to 110 (solubility limit)
    ------ Splices new utilization curve to Tinseth and Rager curves above 65 IBUs, to more closely agree with actual vs theoretical IBUs measured
    ------ Adds bitterness contributions for post boil hop additions, modeled and extrapolated from the work of Mark G. Malowicki
    - Hop Utilization Multiplier parameter to fine tune hop utilization to your system
    - First Wort Hopping
    - User adjustable Pellet/Leaf/Cryo/CO2 Extract Hop Bonuses/Penalties
    - Single infusion batches with single batch sparge, or mashout and lauter, or Brew-In-A-Bag
    - Wort Oxygenation Recommendations
    - Lagering Days Recommendations
    - Highlights any Gravities, ABVs, IBUs, and SRMs that are not within BJCP style guidelines, for 2008 and 2015 guidelines
    - Computes Diastatic Power for the Mash, and warns when grist's DP is marginal or poor
    - Scales Grain Bill to any desired Original Gravity
    - Scales Hop Bills to any desired IBUs
    - Calculates Mash pH and results of acid and Brewing Salt Additions, including Sparge Water acidification
    - Predicts Mash Efficiency based on known Efficiency and change in grain weight and/or sparge to no-sparge or vice versa
    - Automatically computes Yeast Starter Volumes, including stepped starters. Supports harvested yeast slurries.
    - Includes an optional, alternate ABV calculation
    - Inputs for Post Boil/Post Fermentation gravity and volume data, to compute actual mash efficiency, attenuation, and ABV
    - Converts Refractometer readings Specific Gravity Values
    - Choice of U.S. standard measurements or Metric
    - Choice of Plato or SG gravity measurements
    - Carbonation Calculations
    - Hydrometer Specify Gravity Temperature Correction
    - Mash Tun Overload and Required Temperature Exceeding Boiling Warnings
    - Kegging Beer Line Length calculations
    - CO2 Hop Extract and Cryo Hop Support
    - More user selectable Brewhouse Parameters than you can shake a stick at (but the defaults will work pretty well for most people too)

BrewCipher runs in Excel, Apache Open Office, Google Sheets App, and the iOS Excel App. Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-. Go ahead. Don't cost nothin'.

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Thanks again @VikeMan for the work you do.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  3. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (97) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

O.O now I just have to go find the malts I added from the local Maine Malters and update the spread sheet again. Thanks.

4. VikeMan

A tip from the user guide to make that easier next time...

Add your grains in a different font color to make it easier to copy them into later versions of the spreadsheet when released. You can sort by color in your old version, then copy your own block of ingredients into the new version, and finally re-sort by name or whatever column you want.

5. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Aspirant (247) Jan 13, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

6. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (97) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Yea thought about that this time... Fortunately the LHBS posts the rough colors on their site.

7. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Thanks for all your hard work @VikeMan!

8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (541) Mar 28, 2009 California

You're awesome! Thanks.

9. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Devotee (478) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I downloaded the new version (thanks for all your work! @VikeMan) this morning on a Windows computer and the spreadsheet worked as smooth as butter. I then emailed myself the German Pils recipe I put together and tried to open it on my Mac but it says the file is password protected. Since the recipe is fresh in my mind I just tried to download the spreadsheet again and when I downloaded it from both Google Docs and DropBox it said the file is still password protected. Is this no longer compatible with Mac OSX?

10. VikeMan

Well that sucks. The file itself (i.e. just opening the file) is definitely not password protected. Cross-platform issues can be a pain, and can arise from differences in the basic OS, the OS version, the spreadsheet Application, etc. And I don't know that I've ever claimed OSX compatibility. (The user guide even says that it's unknown.) That said, I did go and recompile the .xls this morning under an older windows version and excel version... (a sheet saved in "Excel 97-2003" format in Excel 2013 is not bit for bit the same as a plain Excel 2003 sheet....go figure)... so I went older and uploaded a recompiled .xls to both locations this morning. Let me know if the new build works for you. If not, I fear OSX (at least some versions of it) may be SOL.

11. videofrog

videofrog Zealot (517) Nov 13, 2010 Texas

I'm guessing the issue might be more related to your version of Office. I'm having no issues with BrewCipher saved as a Macro-Enabled Workbook in Office 2016. OS is 10.12.6.

12. redgorillabreath

redgorillabreath Initiate (127) Mar 29, 2015 Pennsylvania

Looking forward to giving this a test drive. Several years ago, BC had become a central part of my routine...Thanks!!!

13. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Disciple (302) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

@VikeMan I know you said it "doesn't cost nothin'" but is there a supporter's version? Or do you have.....uhhhh, what do the kids call it..Patreon? Or something/somewhere I can donate for your work?

14. VikeMan

Nah. Thank You for asking though.

15. BoardwalkBock

It works now. Thank you very much. I've been using V3 and V4 for quite awhile on Mac now so the compatibility has never been an issue until now. I think it definitely is an issue with the version of Office I have on my desktop.

Cheers!

VikeMan likes this.
  16. downhillonwater

downhillonwater Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2018

@VikeMan, Thanks very much for BrewCipher -- it's excellent. I've been brewing about a year and have used it from the beginning. I'm a chemist and so appreciate the breadth and depth of the work rooted in the science of brewing that you've pulled into one place. For example, your approach to modeling the heat capacity of the mash tun as an equivalent mass of water is great work.

I like the way you've laid out the recipe page when I'm designing a new recipe...it calculates everything you need (e.g. sparge water amount) with other fixed values (e.g. boil off rate and batch size). When I'm instead following someone else's recipe I find it's easier to determine values like sparge water and boil off by working from the SG of the first runnings toward the desired OG. With your permission, I'd like to take a crack at a modified math flow through the recipe page. I very much respect the work you've done and don't want infringe the "intellectual property" you have invested.

Happy to discuss more if you like or drop the topic all together.
    Thanks. Steve (downhillonwater)

17. VikeMan

@downhillonwater, Sorry, but BrewCipher is going to remain protected. It's not just that it's intellectual property (mine and others' used by permission) and therefore copyrighted, but my experience from my professional programming days was that opening up freeware/shareware sometimes results in alternate versions being hung on the net that appear to be, but aren't, the original. I'm not saying that you would do that, but I'm not taking chances with this.

18. VikeMan

Version 5.1 is now up. By popular demand, meaning a couple people have asked for it, 5.1 adds Multi-Step Infusion Mash functionality.

Please note: If you are a METRIC user and upgrade from version 5.0 or older, please see the popup note for the "Mash Tun Initial Heat Absorption Value" parameter on the Brewhouse Tab. You'll need to change this parameter. (U.S. Standards users will not have to change what they were using. If U.S. Standards users had tweaked it, simply re-input the value you had tweaked it to. If U.S. Standards users were successfully using the default, jut leave the default as is.)

BrewCipher runs in Excel, Apache Open Office, Gnumeric, LibreOffice, Google Sheets App, and the iOS Excel App. Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-. Go ahead. Double your money back if you don't like it.

19. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Thanks for all your hard work and efforts with this! I love this spread sheet and its highly accurate! Cheers!

20. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

What's the chances of modifying protection in a future version to allow adding (but not deleting) sheets to saved copies, or maybe adding an unprotected sheet or two for end user customization?

jbakajust1 likes this.
  21. VikeMan

I can do the latter on the next version. Thanks for the suggestion.

22. riptorn

Trader

Thanks. I'm guessing it would allow copying content from another workbook and pasting the content to the new sheets in BC? Don't see why it wouldn't.
    Awesome compilation, btw. I appreciate the time you put into building and updating it.

23. hopb4fg

hopb4fg Initiate (57) Nov 8, 2016 Minnesota

+1

24. neolithicman996

neolithicman996 Initiate (15) Aug 9, 2018 Washington

Trouble using it. I enter all my data on the recipe tab and hit the scale button(tried all three) and it just deletes my weights for grains and hops. I have tried enabling macros, leaving compatibility mode...what else could be going on?

25. VikeMan

I'm not at home but PM me the details...operating system, spreadsheet program, and an email address. I'll see it in a few days.

neolithicman996 likes this.
  26. VikeMan

@neolithicman996 also, please let me know which sheet you are using, i.e. the .xls or the .ods.

27. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (187) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Hey @VikeMan, sorry if you've explained this elsewhere, but to use BrewCipher for a no-sparge batch, do I set the Brew-In-A-Bag Indicator to "yes" on the Brewhouse page? And are there any other adjustments I should make? I'm not actually going to BIAB, I'm going to use my mash tun, but there will be no sparge.

28. VikeMan

The answer depends on exactly what you mean by No Sparge. (All water in first infusion? Or doing a mash-out without draining runnings first?) C&P'd from the User Guide, which goes into more detail than the parameter's popup comment:

"Brew-In-A-Bag Indicator: Generally, if you mash using the BIAB method, select 'Y' from the dropdown. This will force all of the water to be in the first infusion, and the Water to Grain Ratio entered on the Recipe tab will be ignored. However, if you do BIAB but do not want to include all your water in the first infusion, select 'N' from the dropdown. Generally, if you do not do BIAB, select ‘N’ from the dropdown. However, If you do not do BIAB, but do want all of the water to be in the first infusion, select ‘Y’ from the dropdown."

In the next version, I'll include all of the above verbiage in the popup comment.

ETA: No, I don't think you'd need to make any other adjustments. The parameter and logic take care of it.

29. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (187) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Thanks! As always, appreciate the work that went into the spreadsheet.

30. frozyn

frozyn Zealot (573) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

@VikeMan, when I brew a high ABV beer and relatedly have to stir in more grain into my BIAB setup, it takes me longer and I end up below my target mash temp. Is there a setting that comes to mind that I can tweak to bump up the predicted strike water temp to compensate?

31. VikeMan

Hmm. There's no parameter to cover "heat loss to air while mashing in" per se. But if I had to fudge this, I think I'd tweak the "Mash Tun Initial Heat Absorption Value" upward.

Just curious...are you brewing outdoors and is it possible that it was a colder day (as well as a bigger beer)?

frozyn likes this.
  32. frozyn

frozyn Zealot (573) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

Thanks! Planning on a Quad next, so should be a quick turn around on trying it.

Indoors. I've had this happen when cool, cold, and sweating in my apartment hot. I've chalked it up to (1) me taking longer to mash in, and (2) additional stirring causing heat to release as I mash in. It was a little more pronounced this last batch (was 3.5 degrees below target vs. 1-2 in the past), which is what prompted me to check in.

VikeMan likes this.
  33. BoardwalkBock

@VikeMan maybe you have answered this before but I’m looking for candi sugar in the fermentable list but cannot find it. There is candi syrup. Would this net the same gravity points to a beer? Thanks.

34. VikeMan

Do you mean like the rocks and/or the soft powdery kind? If so, I'd probably treat it like so...
    Clear: Use "Sucrose (Table Sugar)" info
    Light Amber Color: Use "Brown Sugar, Light" info
    Darker Color: Use "Brown Sugar, Dark" info

You can just copy those rows on the GRAINLOOKUP tab to new rows and rename the "Grain." Or if there's a specific product, I'd be happy to try to research it and include it in the next release.

BoardwalkBock likes this.
  35. BoardwalkBock

Looking for Darker, thanks!

36. riptorn

Trader

37. VikeMan

riptorn likes this.
  38. riptorn

Trader

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the coding of the numbers/letters after the product name. Reminds me of the GUIDs/UUIDs I work with.

I got (3) 500g bottles of the dark and (1) 500g bottle of the light in a lot from a guy who's getting out of the hobby. Said he used them (kinda like Candi syrup) in some Belgian styles. I haven't used them yet. He mentioned they'll keep as long a honey, so there's some time to figure out what to do with them.

39. VikeMan

Those are the data to enter on BrewCipher's GRAINLOOKUP sheet, in the same order. Note that the number of pieces of data for each product matches the number of columns. I didn't include the column headings, but can if this doesn't make sense now.

riptorn likes this.
  40. riptorn

Trader

Nope. Got it. Thanks.

ETA - When I added "Grafschafter Karamell" to the GRAINLOOKUP and entered value 0.80 in the Basic Attenuation column, I noticed a comment on that cell (D149 in mine) "copied from roasted barley". Not sure if the comment pre-existed my data entry or not. It probably means little....just a point of curiosity.

#40 riptorn, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018