BrewCipher 6

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Dec 17, 2019.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,950) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

BrewCipher 6.0 spreadsheet, Hoppy Holihaze Edition, is now up for download.

New in Version 6.0:

- Updated MpH Water Models
    -------- courtesy of utahbeerdude, from soon to be released MpH v4
    -------- uses malt(ster) specific pH data for many malts/grains
    -------- more accurate than other models, per real life mash data

- Fruit Addition Calculator
    -------- predicts effective combined OG, FG, Attenuation, and ABV
    -------- doesn't ignore the water content of the particular fruit/puree/juice (just sayin')

- pH Target Picker Tool
    -------- helps you decide the mash pH you want, based on desired finished beer characteristics

Feature Recap...
    - Predicts attenuation based not only on yeast strain, but also on mash conditions and grain bill composition
    - Understands that simple sugars are 100% fermentable, and that they are not subject to mash efficiency or yeast strain factors
    - Understands that some gravity contributors are not fermentable at all
    - Accounts explicitly for wort and water losses, and adjusts total water (and related calculations) accordingly
    - Uses a correct Tinseth formula with Avg Boil Gravity in the 'bigness' factor rather than the pre-boil OG (which is both popular and wrong)
    - Incorporates optional Modified Tinseth and Rager Formulas…
    ------ Limits IBUs to 110 (solubility limit)
    ------ Splices new utilization curve to Tinseth and Rager curves above 65 IBUs, to more closely agree with actual vs theoretical IBUs measured
    ------ Adds bitterness contributions for post boil hop additions, modeled and extrapolated from the work of Mark G. Malowicki
    - Hop Utilization Multiplier parameter to fine tune hop utilization to your system
    - First Wort Hopping
    - User adjustable Pellet/Leaf/Cryo/CO2 Extract Hop Bonuses/Penalties
    - Single infusion batches with single batch sparge, or mashout and lauter, or Brew-In-A-Bag
    - Wort Oxygenation Recommendations
    - Lagering Days Recommendations
    - Highlights any Gravities, ABVs, IBUs, and SRMs that are not within BJCP style guidelines, for 2008 and 2015 guidelines
    - Computes Diastatic Power for the Mash, and warns when grist's DP is marginal or poor
    - Scales Grain Bill to any desired Original Gravity
    - Scales Hop Bills to any desired IBUs
    - Calculates Mash pH and results of acid and Brewing Salt Additions, including Sparge Water acidification
    - Predicts Mash Efficiency based on known Efficiency and change in grain weight and/or sparge to no-sparge or vice versa
    - Automatically computes Yeast Starter Volumes, including stepped starters. Supports harvested yeast slurries.
    - Includes an optional, alternate ABV calculation
    - Inputs for Post Boil/Post Fermentation gravity and volume data, to compute actual mash efficiency, attenuation, and ABV
    - Converts Refractometer readings Specific Gravity Values
    - Choice of U.S. standard measurements or Metric
    - Choice of Plato or SG gravity measurements
    - Carbonation Calculations
    - Hydrometer Specify Gravity Temperature Correction
    - Mash Tun Overload and Required Temperature Exceeding Boiling Warnings
    - Kegging Beer Line Length calculations
    - CO2 Hop Extract and Cryo Hop Support
    - pH Target Picker Tool
    - Fruit Additions
    - More user selectable Brewhouse Parameters than you can shake a stick at (but the defaults will work pretty well for most people too)

BrewCipher runs in Excel, Apache Open Office, Google Sheets App, and the iOS Excel App. Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-. Go ahead. Don't cost nothin'.

2. VikeMan

Society

A quick word about the updated pH model... because it uses malt(ster) specific pH data for many malts/grains, it's important to not change the names of any of the pre-loaded malts/grains on the grainlookup tab. Go ahead and add grains and sort the rows (including the pre-loaded ones) to your heart's content, but leave the original names unchanged. If changed, more generic/default data for the grain type will be used (similar to other models). So it won't be disastrous, but it's better not to do it.

There are also notes to this effect on the grainlookup tab.

KeyWestGator, Hanglow and riptorn like this.
  3. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (811) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Thanks for your continued work on this Vikeman and utahbeerdude!

4. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (381) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Thanks @VikeMan ! I’ve been using BrewCipher for every batch I brew over the last 2-3 years. I find it to be more accurate than Beer Smith. I’ll be sure to download v6.0.

VikeMan likes this.
  5. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (407) May 2, 2006 Utah

Thanks! Vikeman and I have worked together over the past several years to study the grist pH and buffering capacity of a number of malts that previously had not been measured (and reported on) in the literature. A paper on our results can be found here. With any luck MpH 4 will be out soon, for those of you who don't use BrewCipher but could use a brewing-water calculator.

As for the rest of BrewCipher, that is all Vikeman's doing. I think it's fair to say that as far as brewing spreadsheets go, it does many things that no other sheet does. It's a real tour-de-force.

Cheers!

6. CShell1234

CShell1234 Initiate (25) Oct 25, 2018 New York
    Trader

Hey @VikeMan just trying to figure out the acid malt addition... trying to adjust ph from 5.46 down to around 5.2-5.3 and I know on the water tab you say to add the acid malt there even if it’s on the recipe, but if I add say .25 lbs on the recipe it actually raises the ph to 5.47 but then if I add 4 oz to the water tab it lowers it to 5.18... should I just go by the water tab calculation? Is there a reason to add it to my recipe page in such a small amount (I suppose maybe just for the sake of record keeping I might as well)?

7. ECCS

ECCS Aspirant (207) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

@450North

8. VikeMan

Society

The reason it increases the pH when you add it to your grain bill is that you're adding more "base malt" (ignoring the lactic acid component for a moment). Then, when you add it in the acid section of the water tab, the acid component is accounted for.

I suspect a lot of people don't bother adding the acid malt into the grain bill section on the recipe tab, because they view acid malt as an acid addition, rather than a grain bill recipe thing. Which from a pH perspective is pretty much okay, because its (base malt) impact there will be very small. But pH aside, a reason you might want to also add it in the grain bill is that its gravity, color, and wort absorption contributions will also be counted. From a grain bill perspective, a couple ounces won't really matter much one way or the other, but larger additions might. So, my recommendation would be to go ahead and include it in both places.

CShell1234 likes this.
  9. VikeMan

Society

@ECCS, I'm not sure whose attention you were trying to get, but I don't think 450North is a BA handle.

10. ECCS

ECCS Aspirant (207) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

VikeMan likes this.
  11. VikeMan

Society

Heh, thanks. I hadn't heard that story. It doesn't surprise me...some pros miscalculate fruit OG/ABV contributions all the time. But the exploding cans thing (different beer) is ridiculous...adding sugars at packaging without knowing what kind of CO2 levels could ensue. Hopefully these guys get their shit together.

hopfenunmaltz and ECCS like this.
  12. CShell1234

Trader

So speaking about this... does your new fruit calculation assume that the fruit was fermented out? Specifically how or why might you use the dilution calculator?
    Thanks!

13. VikeMan

Society

Yes. It assumes all the sugars in the fruit will ferment.

I assume you mean choosing "water" from the fruit dropdown. I threw that in so people could also use the tab as a dilution calculator, e.g. what happens to a recipe's OG/FG/ABV if you add "x" amount of water. You might use it if you're doing high gravity brewing. Or suppose you end up with a wort with a higher OG than expected and want to dilute it down to a more reasonable level. In this case, you'd play with the volume to add until you hit the desired OG. Stuff like that.

CShell1234 likes this.
  14. Naugled

Naugled Defender (656) Sep 25, 2007 New York

Quick question. Is there any reason why the pitch rate inputs on the brew house tab are limited to 100,000?

I was playing around with some Kveik pitch rates and discovered this.

VikeMan likes this.
  15. VikeMan

Society

My foggy quasi-memory, or perhaps a freshly constructed rationalization, is that I originally set the minimum valid input to 100K in order to prevent unintended user screwups. But this was before Kveik strains became available. On the next incremental release, I'll change the minimum to 1 Cell/ml/Degree P. Thanks for the catch.

Naugled likes this.
  16. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (382) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Can data/recipes be exported from V5 to V6?

17. VikeMan

Society

Sorry, no.

riptorn likes this.
  18. riptorn

Society Trader

Yeah, that's what I figured....thanks.

19. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (154) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

@VikeMan Any chance you'll add the Mecca Grade malts any time soon? (I know I can add them myself, but I don't have all the info.)

20. VikeMan

Society

Any that you're particulary interested in?

21. deadwolfbones

All! I use most of them on a regular basis.

22. VikeMan

Society

I'll look into it.

deadwolfbones likes this.
  23. deadwolfbones

Much appreciated!

24. riptorn

Society Trader

25. VikeMan

Society

It's more or less generic. Looking at Weyermann's current specs, You might want to change the PPG to 34 if that's what you're using.

riptorn likes this.
  26. riptorn

Society Trader

Thank you, sir!

27. menvert

menvert Initiate (11) Mar 21, 2020

Thank you so much VikeMan for Brewcipher
    I have been using it for about 4 years

I have been using V4.23 for ages, and moved to 6 today.
    It seems to be wildly different (and incorrect for me) in calculating my mash pH
    recipe is - 7.5kg (75%) wayerman pils, 1kg (10%) vienna, 1kg(10%) Wayerman pale wheat .5kg carapils for 46L batch 30L strike water
    Adding 10g cacl2 12g caso4 to highly filtered basically distilled water (I have it set to 100% distilled in water tab)

V4.23 says to add 5ml 88% Phosphoric to reach 5.28, which I did last time
    V6 says ph 5.24 with no other additions other than salts
    So I tried no additions, thinking maybe PH was why my last batch of the same recipe wasn't quite right. however PH measured was around 5.5

Any ideas what could be amiss?

I also though what if I add acid malt instead and see it's effect , on 4.23 100g drops ph by .08 on V6 it drops it 3.92

I checked all my brew-house values and as far as I can tell they are all the same

Thanks

riptorn likes this.
  28. VikeMan

Society

@menvert Version 6 uses the most recent version of @utahbeerdude's MpH model. One change is that there are many malts whose pH contribution characteristics were individually measured and modeled. For your recipe, I suspect the main difference between the old and new predictions was due to the wheat malt, which has a lower buffering capacity, so it's "easier" (than thought by the old model) to reduce the pH through acid additions when wheat malt is in the grist.

As to why your measured pH was different than predicted (5.5 vs 5.24), a few possibilities come to mind...
    - Natural variation in malt lots
    - pH meter calibration
    - water filter: is it an RO filter? And how effective? Perhaps there was some alkalinity left?
    - some combination of the above, stacking up

All of the above conjecture is off the top of my head, without running actual numbers through anything. But I'd be happy to take a look at your workbook just to make sure nothing got grunged (e.g. data on the Grain Lookup tab).

29. menvert

Thanks for the prompt reply @VikeMan
    -I use organic weyerman pils and wheat, so that's likely different (though the old version was pretty good at estimating the ph)
    -I did a calibration of the PH meter during my tests and it was still calibrated, it's a designed for home-brew meter with ATC, so should be pretty close.
    -I have Tank water with a very fine (.1 micron) filter, my TDS is about the same as when I had an actual RO system, so it should be very low on minerals, just whatever comes off the concrete tiles and gets past the filter.
    My files are here - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsCPyct93gKOg84vzXnmujB_bxzPBA?e=IQs6L8
    I am wondering if there is some imperial/metric translation not working properly? as it behaves so differently.

I'll probably stay on the old one for now, or both till I work it out, but thought this feed back might reveal a bug in the code.

IMO brewcipher is just so much better than any of the other programs out there, love your [teams] work. I have 69 batches done so far

30. CShell1234

Trader

Hey @VikeMan i just had a random thought this morning and now I have to ask... is brewcipher infinitely scalable? Could a professional brewery use your software to build say a 30 BBL recipe, or do formulas get somehow skewed? Is there anything in professional brewing software that isn’t in your software or vice versa, either out of convenience of necessity?
    Thanks!

31. VikeMan

Society

Yes, it can be used for large batches, as long as the Brewhouse parameters are set accordingly. I know of at least one 15 barrel brewery that uses it. There may be larger breweries using it, but I don't know. There's no reason they couldn't.

BrewCipher doesn't track ingredient inventories, which some pros might need/want. But I have to say that the breweries I've worked with (some of whom use BeerSmith, which I believe does do inventories) don't track their inventories in their brewing software anyway. One thing missing from "professional" software is considering the makeup of the grain bill when predicting attenuation, which to me is a high crime, or at least a misdemeanor.

Applecrew135 likes this.
  32. CShell1234

Trader

Ha, good to know... and yes, I have yet to stop having my mind blown by how accurate your FG estimate is every time.

Also, I meant no slight by not calling brewcipher professional software, as it is the best thing I have ever used!

VikeMan likes this.
  33. VikeMan

Society

Well I'll be damned. In metric (starting with a clean sheet), I get a prediction of 5.24, just like you did. But in U.S., I get 5.31. Looks like I have some troubleshooting ahead of me. Thanks for the catch!

menvert likes this.
  34. VikeMan

Society

BrewCipher 6.1 spreadsheet, Quarantine Edition, is now up for download.

Changed/New in Version 6.1:

- Reduced validation for minimum pitch rate(s) allowed (validated) to accommodate the crazy low pitch rates some folks are using with Kveik strains

- Added Mecca Grade malt specs

- Added a "User Scratch" sheet (in addition to the old NotePad sheet) that can be used for whatever the user wants, i.e. user formulae and whatnot.

- Fixed a bug affecting pH calculations when the Brewhouse is Metric.

BrewCipher runs in Excel, Apache Open Office, Google Sheets App, and the iOS Excel App. Download it from -> Google Drive <- or -> DropBox <-. Go ahead. Don't cost nothin'.

35. riptorn

Society Trader

Thanks for the update, especially the scratch pad and unlocking Excel tools in that tab. :slight_smile: :+1:

36. menvert

Thanks for the update @VikeMan
    The PH seems improved (I use metric)
    I'll be very careful and confirm my ph next brew day, in about 2 weeks time. I guess the unknown variables are my water and my Organic version of the Weyermann grains. Probably the easiest thing would be if I buy some RO water for my next brew to be sure of that variable.

Is there any simple way I can do a test for my grain to see how it compares to your values for the non-organic version?

The Acidified malt in the water tab seems to be out still 100g lowers my ph by 0.08 in v4.23 but v6.1 lowers it by 3.43
    Acid malt has never been that effective at lowering ph! (200g was usually enough in this recipe to drop ~ 0.2 into my preferred range, v6.1 says 6g is enough)

I have added my example and even converted 6.1 to imperial if that helps (the numbers seem to behave the same whether metric or imperial with 6.1)
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsCPyct93gKOg84vzXnmujB_bxzPBA?e=XBdyid

Thanks

37. VikeMan

Society

I don't think there's a really simple way. You can download a white paper from this link that describes a way to do it.
    http://homebrewingphysics.blogspot.com/2018/05/

Dang it. There was a conversion issue. Version 6.2 is now up, which fixes.

menvert likes this.
  38. menvert

Gday @VikeMan, Thanks again for looking into bugs.
    I have put my data into v6.2 and it looks a lot closer to what I'd expect for the PH and Acid malt
    I did notice another error, possibly only a display error. (in 6.1 and 6.2)
    In the water tab it's not showing the same grain weights as the recipe tab

The recipe is 7.5kg, 1kg, 1kg, 0.5kg (it's multiplied all except for the 1st grain by 2.2)
    Water tab table is showing;
    Grain Color Deg L Type Kilograms Grist Fraction (f)
    Weyermann Pilsner 2 B 7.50 0.75
    Weyermann Pale Wheat 2 W 2.20 0.10
    Vienna (generic) 3.5 B 2.20 0.10
    Briess Carapils 2 C 1.10 0.05

Example is here - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsCPyct93gKOg84vzXnmujB_bxzPBA?e=3bbqMf

Thanks

39. VikeMan

Society

Thanks. Yes, that's a (metric) display issue that fortunately doesn't affect the calcs. It's now fixed, in V6.3, available in the usual places.

menvert and riptorn like this.
  40. menvert

Thanks @VikeMan My brew on the weekend went well, the PH calculations for my similar recipe but using only salts, malts and acid malt came in at 5.25 my actual readings at 10 minutes and a few other points during the mash were between 5.22 to 5.26 mostly 5.23 - so in terms of grain differences, measurement variance and volume errors I think that's spot-on now.

Thanks

utahbeerdude and VikeMan like this.