BrewDogs the TV show

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by spookyspeeg, Jul 2, 2013.

1. pixieskid

pixieskid Jun 4, 2009 Germany

I've often wondered what is going on with Brewdog in the UK; do more people love or hate them? Where do you see their beer (is it in beer bars or grocery stores) or since they have their own bars, is that where they focus on selling it in the UK?

Zimbo likes this.
  2. yuichituba

yuichituba Dec 1, 2005 Japan

I remember seeing their Punk IPA at random grocery stores in St. Andrews and Edinburgh in 2010.

Zimbo likes this.
  3. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I can really only speak with some authority on the Scottish perception of BrewDog. Generally it's pretty positive and I' always surprised at how well known they are considering that they don't advertise onTV or radio. A selection their beers from very wide
    to very narrow is available in all the main supermarket chains across Scotland. Most supermarkets usually carry at least Punk and 5am Saint and some, at least at one time or another, have also stocked Rip Tide, Trashed Blonde and Paradox beers. At present I'm waiting for my local supermarket to restore Alice Porter which ignores promises will happen. Dome small corner shops/ Miamimarkets also party small selections.

The BrewDog bars are there to showcase their full range, new & limited/rare beers and offer a range of rare & well selected guest tangle. Their bars tend to be very good. Great choice, well informed friendly staff and in.my experience the clientele pretty decent. I love to nitpick BrewDog about a variety of things, some petty, others with very good reason, but James Watt has come out of no where to deliver what has certainly been the most influential Scottish brewery in many years. I just think that because they are so ambitious and have tried to do so much in such a short time they have taken their eye off the brewing ball to the point where meaningful innovation has been compromised.

barfdiggs, Chrixsus and pixieskid like this.
  4. pixieskid

pixieskid Jun 4, 2009 Germany

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they have grown such a tremendous amount in such a short period of time; not everyone would know how to handle that, they seem to be doing a good job overall. I've always wondered if they were really planning on this success (I mean, did they set out to be as big as they are), or did their "spirit" just influence their business in a way that it was inevitable for them to become as big as they are?

I noticed you specifically talk about James Watt and not Martin Dickie; any reason?

5. Chrixsus

Chrixsus Dec 13, 2011 Illinois

This speaks volumes to me. A brewery's bar/brewpub is the binary bridge between artist and patron. The meeting place of the end result and its appreciator. The fact that BrewDog maintains well-run bars that feature their whole freakin' range (w/ rares to boot!) is, IMO, a testament to their commitment to the craft of brewing. There is no more loyal patron then the one who feels respected by the artist. it shows a level of compassion that is rare.

The only thing that matters is that they continue to brew high quality beers. No one can argue with a goodass beer.

Kal, JackHorzempa, buddha5050 and 2 others like this.
  6. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Mar 3, 2008 Texas

I emailed them a few years ago while piss drunk (and it was obvious when I re-read it) to ask how I could get a Sink the Bismarck shipped to TX. In a day I got a really nice email explaining that they'd mark it "sample" on the box so it arrived and they explained what I needed to do to buy it online. It was going to cost me $150 so I didn't do it but I did appreciate the response. I'm sure you had a totally different experience and I'm not questioning that but I think they are probably just overwhelmed with questions and can't get to them all.

solo103 likes this.
  7. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Mar 17, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'm sure that's it, just frustrating

8. Zimbo

Funny this has come up as I'm off to a tasting tonight which features a huge range of top end BD beers ( about half a dozen Abstrakts, all the Bashahs, Dogs A&B etc etc etc). Sure to see some quality there. :)

Chrixsus likes this.
  9. Fattmatt73

Fattmatt73 Feb 2, 2013 Georgia

Pretty sure most breweries have a capitalist agenda, since their main goal, as a business, is to make money. Oh my god, these demonic bastards want to make money. Grow up.

10. coolandy007

coolandy007 Jun 1, 2013 Nevada

Pretty sure I was referring to the media giants that usually end up milking anything they get their hands on for every penny is worth while cheating the original product or person out of the cut they deserve, and usually twist things to appease advertisers and investors, but I'm sure you in your infinite maturity where already aware of that and didn't make a connection.

11. JediMatt

JediMatt Jun 18, 2010 Iowa

I have no opinion on the quality of their beers, but that episode description list sounds completely fucking stupid.

VonZipper and coolandy007 like this.
  12. coolandy007

coolandy007 Jun 1, 2013 Nevada

If that doesn't sound like some producer gimmick for ratings, I don't know what is. I hope at least there's good information and knowledge being shared trough the show.

13. Doogflaggat

Doogflaggat Aug 29, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Dude...Tunnel of poo. I loled. But seriously I think this will be at LEAST mildly entertaining. If the dudes are douches, so be it.

14. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Mar 22, 2011 California

Uh, the guy that posted above is from the U.K.... just a little different distribution network.

15. Fattmatt73

Fattmatt73 Feb 2, 2013 Georgia

Pretty sure I didn't make that connection, we all hate the hype machine, unfortunately it is part of a capitalist " and I don't use that word as a smite" system. Use your head, like what you like, and always consider the source of the hype.

16. tendermorsel

tendermorsel Oct 22, 2006 Massachusetts

Why drink Brewdog when there are non pretentious breweries in the UK that are killin it. Thornbridge Kernel and Brodies off the top of my head are killing brewdog in quality of beers.

Jnorton00, Zimbo and WhatANicePub like this.
  17. BruChef

BruChef Nov 8, 2009 New York

I think if the show was just about beer, they would lose most of their viewers. As much as some BA's might potentially enjoy it, I don't think a show about just beer is enough to keep the general public engaged (remember beernuts? that show sucked, even for beer geeks!). Throw in some local culture, some restaurant/bar night life and some shenanigans (I.e. circus=entertaining) and interesting experiments in brewing and you've got a little bit of something for everybody. Food has taken on molecular gastronomy and while not everyone embraces it or considers it real cooking, it's damn interesting. In that regard, I'm pretty intrigued to see how they can incorporate similar techniques in brewing. I say let these guys be the shock rock stars of beer. Without innovation there would be no progress.

18. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Mar 17, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

That would put a little different light on that situation eh.

19. Scottieo2

Scottieo2 Sep 1, 2013 Rhode Island

I went to the Sam Adams taping on Friday night. They invited people on their mailing list without telling anything except that we will be sampling a collaboration with Brewdog and they will be filming.

The clambake beer was actually pretty good. It was a scotch ale made with peat smoked malt and a sour mash. Really nice malty sweetness up front and had a smokey, sour finish. Didn't get much of the lobster/clam in the taste at all.

It was a pretty cool event overall. Jim Koch and the Brewdog guys hung out for a couple of hours afterward talking to people. At the end of the event it looked like they were filling up a tub with wort to have all 3 of them sit in it.

I'm definitely going to tune in when this show airs. Yeah it's a little (a lot) gimmicky but its about beer.

20. jack_pitts_3

jack_pitts_3 Sep 6, 2013 South Carolina

Y'all want a good show about alcohol?! Watch three sheets with Zane lamprey. Not solely about beer, but quality program about alcohol and culture. From breaking down production to participating in local customs. They made a second program called Drinking made easy. I never got into that one. It was solely us cities. They are now filming chug. Check it out. Good fun. Good drinking show.

21. RockAZ

RockAZ Jan 6, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Did you really think the Anthony Bourdain shows were going to teach you how to cook? This looks like a lark, just a bit mad fun with some of the nicest breweries in the States for background color and flavor. Best of luck to them!

22. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I can't stand Three Sheets. That guy is incredibly annoying. Bourdain's shows are about getting people to try things outside their comfort zone, and looking at things from a different point of view. The commercial I saw the other day for this looked interesting, but from what I have read here it just seems like stupid gimmicks. I might give it a go if I happen upon the show channel surfing, but not seeking it out.

23. Zimbo

And in Scotland you can add Tempest, Fyne, Cromarty etc etc to the list. I appreciate what BrewDog has done to raise beer awareness in Scotland/the UK but as someone who's drunk most of their offerings they really need to get back to basics and just brew good consistent beer.

24. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Everytime I look through one of these discussions of BrewDog and their beers, I'm reminded of a world famous entertainer in the 50s through the 70s by the name of Liberache. Lots of folks loved to hate him because of his flamboyant style of dress, etc. and regarded him and his music the highth (or depth) of kitsch. But many people of his generation loved his style enough to make him the world's most highly paid entertainers for many years of his career.

Its said that when he was told what the critics thought of him and his music, he reported being aware of what folks thought and he laughed about it all the way to the bank.

25. Zimbo

The key word here being 'consistent'.

26. paxton1978

paxton1978 Aug 8, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

I'm just enjoying the fact that the synopses for the shows sound like they're being pitched by a panicky Alan Partridge. "Craft beer with Chris Eubank?"... "Craft beer in prison?"... "Monkey craft beer?"

Zimbo likes this.
  27. chcfan

chcfan Oct 29, 2008 California

The premiere is tonight. I'm going to watch anything on TV that has to do with beer other than Drinking Made Easy. Too much focus on girly cocktails and I can't stand that Steve guy.

I get that some people just want a travel-to-different-breweries show, but that has been done before and as others have said, probably wouldn't draw much of an audience. There's a chance this show will suck ass, but there's also a chance that it could be at least somewhat interesting and/or amusing and really there isn't much else for me on TV right now so what the hey, I'm going to give it a go.

28. Jason

Jason Founder Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

Most people will have to turn on the CC, accents are thick. Way too many mentions of their nipples ... once is funny.

Geuzedad likes this.
  29. JISurfer

JISurfer Dec 10, 2002 Hawaii
    Beer Trader

Accents are very thick. It is entertaining, but I liked the DFH show on Discovery.

30. abb610

abb610 Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

having met greg before and then seeing this show, it makes me dislike him even more. what an "arrogant douche". it was a great show though and I look forward to less douchiness

31. Jason

Wow ... I'd love to know more. ;)

I've gotten to know him a bit more of the years, he's a pretty down to earth guy IMO.

braugon, jrnyc and DrinkingCraft like this.
  32. abb610

Beer Trader

I met him in Charlotte a couple of years ago and the guy really liked to s his own d. He acts as if he is a God to craft beer and that everyone needs to bow down to him as he stands on a table. An example of this can be found just after the five minute mark of the show when he says that everyne in San Diego copied him and he wants everyone to know it. Total douchery.

33. russpowell

russpowell May 24, 2005 Oklahoma
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Loved the show, found it entertaining & made me want to book a flight to San Diego like tomorrow. I think this series will please me even more than DFH show & miles more than anything Zane whatever did. His shows are beyond sophomoric to me.

Don't know any of these dudes, they've done nada to insult me & I will watch each & every show, makes for a light hearted prelude to Sons of Anarchy.

34. russpowell

russpowell May 24, 2005 Oklahoma
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Not what I heard, I heard him crediting others as well. He does not lack modesty to be sure.

yemenmocha and Jason like this.
  35. Jason

Sounds like you took his shtick and hoopla too seriously ... it is beer, not the gospel. He likes to put on a show, whatever ... Stone also has inspired a lot of "brewers", I missed the first 5 min of the show but will tape it later tonight. To each their own.

DrinkingCraft likes this.
  36. abb610

Beer Trader

I guess I prefer a little more humble shtick. Trust me when I say I don't take anything too seriously. He acts as if he is a rock star or famous artist. When all he is, is just another owner of a brewery.

Zimbo likes this.
  37. wesbray

wesbray Feb 29, 2012 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

"A craft beer among the pigeons."

38. GameFreac

GameFreac Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

You guys sound like a bunch of old grandmas. Craft beer is srs business.

The show was good. The accents were too thick (could use subtitles) and the brewing on the train seemed unnecessary but it was interesting and the rest of the show was cool. They gotta keep it entertaining for the non beer geeks.

There's a show about craft beer on TV. Be happy.

Ford, bumchilly25, yemenmocha and 6 others like this.
  39. DrinkingCraft

DrinkingCraft Aug 22, 2012 Indiana

I have to say I disagree. Simply put, Greg is awesome and I think he might have said it a little facetiously. On the other hand, even if he does believe that, is he incorrect? Look what the guy has done since '96! I've only crossed paths with him once and got to share a few minutes over a pint of AB and he was a humble, passionate, normal dude.

Thought the show was very entertaining. Made SD look like a brewparadise. It's a show about beer, brewing and experimentation...I mean c'mon!!! Looking forward to watching next week.

bumchilly25, jrnyc and GoGators like this.
  40. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Sep 1, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I enjoyed the show, for the most part the "Brew Dog"gy type aggressive attitude wasn't there, which was one of my worries before tuning in. My ideal beer show would be more like some of the stuff I've watched online, like some of the Norther Brewer visits to breweries. The show would be like a travel/cooking show wherein the hosts visit a brewery then at the end brew a clone of one of the beers they tried. This would be entertaining and informative and maybe get people into brewing for themselves after seeing how easy it can be. The train setup on this show could seem pretty intimidating to someone new to craft beer.

DrinkingCraft likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe