Breweries along the 101.. Help Please

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by aekoops, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aekoops

aekoops Initiate (112) Jan 20, 2011 California
    Trader

Hi Folks,

Driving down from the Bay Area and normally bolt down the 5. This time, we are going to roll slower and hit the 101. Got permission from stop by a brewery.

1. What are the highlights along the 5. I know Firestone Walker in Paso is good, but what else is there?

2. Any of aforementioned highlights kid friendly?

Thanks!

Adam

2. soco89ziegler

soco89ziegler Initiate (137) Nov 28, 2015 California
    Trader

How far down are you going?

3. aekoops

Trader

likely as far as morro bay and then cutting back in after doing some camping.... but open to hear about anything

4. JayORear

JayORear Champion (885) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Trader

Libertine, either in Morro Bay or SLO. I've seen kids at all the Firestone locations, mostly in the restaurants. Also, Tap It in SLO.

If you have one choice, make it Firestone.

5. jdouge

jdouge Initiate (25) Nov 27, 2005 California

Firestone Barrelworks in Buellton if you can push the trip an hour farther south!

6. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Aspirant (227) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Trader

Barrelhouse in Paso.

7. freeballard

freeballard Disciple (389) Oct 21, 2008 California
    Society

Barrelhouse in Paso is great and there is a fairly new cider house next door, Tin City Ciders.

8. rrryanc

rrryanc Aspirant (286) May 19, 2006 California

Alvarado Street in Salinas is probably worth a stop, and allegedly child friendly. I've only actually been to their Monterey location, so not definitive on that.

9. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Devotee (415) Jul 31, 2010 California
    Trader

While Firestone is great, you've probably had most of what they are pouring. As others mentioned, I recommend Barrelhouse, as their beer has greatly improved, and its an awesome location. I second the recommendation on Tin City Cider. They are next door, and doing some great fruited and barreled ciders.

10. brewaddict

brewaddict Aspirant (274) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Trader

The Salinas location for Alvarado Street is right off of the highway and is fine if you want to stop and have a beer, pickup cans, or a crowler. But, it's just a bar setup in a warehouse with the brewing equipment along the walls. I wouldn't say it's really kid friendly. They don't serve food unless you catch it when there is a truck scheduled.

If you can make it over to their Monterey location, it's a full service pub with seating for the fam.

11. Martin_carvalho

Martin_carvalho Initiate (73) Jun 13, 2014 California

I would see if you could get permission to detour a bit into Capitola and stop at Sante. If not Alvarado Street has great beers.

12. aekoops

Trader

Sante and I are well aquatinted. That would be a much longer visit.

Thanks all for the input. Made it down with a single uneventful so at Firestone. Next time the stop will be elsewhere. Alvarado in Salinas was closed on Monday unfortunately.

Now if anyone has a recommendation for the 5 between la and the bay...

13. rrryanc

rrryanc Aspirant (286) May 19, 2006 California

Don't stop.

thuey likes this.
  14. Ma9573

Ma9573 Initiate (113) Feb 21, 2017 California

Lol!
    Seriously.

15. Ma9573

Ma9573 Initiate (113) Feb 21, 2017 California

If you take the 5 up to 580, the obvious choice is Altamont in Livermore. Juice above the Clouds FTW!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.