Breweries Indirectly Using BA as a Marketing Plan

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by DEdesings57, Oct 15, 2020.

1. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Defender (625) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Personally I love the idea of breweries being able to utilize BA as an additional way to communicate with their consumer base. I feel BA is just as much for us advocates as it can be for professionals in the industry who just so happen to share the same immense passion for beer that us advocates do. But my question is specially about breweries using BA to indirectly promote their subtle marketing agendas by means which many not be so obvious.

Is their a fine line between advocacy and in-direct persuasion ?

Shanex, Roguer, Junior and 2 others like this.
  2. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,923) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,567) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

What kind of behavior are you imaging? Bot armies padding the stats?

AWA, beertunes and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  4. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,048) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Sixpoint was the only one I can think of, but that was before the buy-out.

5. DEdesings57

Trader

No, nothing to do with bots at all ...

6. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (130) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

I’ve mostly seen Untapped being used on beer menus to sell beers by showing its ratings.

I always thought this was an unflattering tactic to use for many of the lager-centric beer bars I go - although many folks here are quite critical of lagers and rate them lower on average, I think we’re far more kind to the style than the other site...:grimacing:

Bitterbill, KRug, officerbill and 5 others like this.
  7. DEdesings57

Trader

You have hit a prime example on the nose! Yes, that is a great example of what I mean.

Shanex and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  8. draheim

Society

Care to enlighten those of us who don’t know what you’re referring to? There’s a chance I’m not the only one.

9. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,768) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

I've got an example of the opposite. A brewery interacting with customers in a cool way, but getting their hand slapped by BA. Now we get less information & this website is LESS informative than it was before.

@BeerCruncher is part of Revolution Brewing and was very active in the Revolution thread, giving us a heads up on upcoming events, new beers, processes of their barrel aged program, etc.

However, he was chastised a few times from "the brass" for allegedly crossing the line, so he stopped posting so much. Now, I'm a HUGE fan of Revolution, so I'm biased, but he was never on here shilling for his company; he was a beer nerd telling other beer nerds about cool shit going on at Revolution.

He's still on from time to time, but is VERY careful and my experience on this site is the worse for it. C'est la vie.

@Jason @Todd

10. DEdesings57

Trader

What a shame, I love revolutions beers!

BrewsOverHoes and GuyFawkes like this.
  11. DEdesings57

Trader

I agree with you, I do find untappd seems to hate lagers lol. I feel BA's seem to understand them and respect them more on average.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  12. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

So you don't think that brewery reps should openly engage on here? What's the problem with that?

13. WCKDVBZ

I think you might be the only one on here, but...Sixpoint's founder/owner/CEO or whatever his position was, he was very active on here. Commenting on various things, interacting with a lot of us. While promoting Sixpoint beer. Then Sixpoint gets bought out....and he goes quite!

https://www.brewbound.com/news/artisanal-brewing-ventures-acquires-sixpoint-brewery/

ABV (Artisanal Brewing Ventures) also owns Victory and Southern Tier.

Shanex, Bitterbill, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  14. DEdesings57

Trader

Let me quote my self: "Personally I love the idea of breweries being able to utilize BA as an additional way to communicate with their consumer base. I feel BA is just as much for us advocates as it can be for professionals in the industry who just so happen to share the same immense passion for beer that us advocates do."

15. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I'm confused now.
    What did those.breweries do that was outside what you claim to be OK with?

16. DEdesings57

Trader

Thank you for posting that! That's the kind of stuff I am alluding too.

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  17. DEdesings57

Trader

Whoah slow down now, When did I make a claim ? Im only proposing a question.

Junior likes this.
  18. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,927) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

He left Sixpoint before they sold out.

19. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

The two comments of yours oi quoted seemed to imply that you had a problem with the way the representatives of six point and revolution were engaging on here

20. WCKDVBZ

But why couldn't he at least say a couple of words here? It does make him look bad. The guy spent endless hours on here Sixpoint this and Sixpoint that. Be a fücking man and address the issue. Instead, he tucked his tail and ran! And I was always questioning how genuine he was. Maybe he knew about the plan to sell-out, but got screwed at the end. Maybe he didn't and got nothing at the end. Or maybe he did or didn't know and still got paid. Who knows...

Shanex, BrewsOverHoes and DEdesings57 like this.
  21. DEdesings57

Trader

In those seven words that you said, what is the exact message you wish us to understand ??? Can you please elaborate??

22. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

I don't even understand what that means ... he left Sixpoint for a new job, then they sold out the following year. What was there for him to come here and say?

23. DEdesings57

Trader

Thank you sir! You took the words out of my mouth!

BrewsOverHoes and WCKDVBZ like this.
  24. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

I was specifically responding to WCKDVBZ's statement:
    Thats not exactly correct, he went "quiet" when he left Sixpoint which was before they sold out.

Bitterbill and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  25. WCKDVBZ

That's not true! His nick was Sixpoint until the announcement was made on here and the net. Then, shortly after, he changed his name and went silent.

EDIT: Even if it's true, why not get on here and say something? And what is his new job? Another brewery? Should we expect him on here any time now, to start promoting? He didn't even bother answering all those PMs. Not even from the people he used to interact with all the time. Can't have any respect for somebody like that.

At least: "Hey BAs! Thanks for all your support! Peace!"

#25 WCKDVBZ, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  26. DEdesings57

Trader

does that mean you can't reply to my inquiry on the same subject matter ?

27. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

If I remember correctly, he said he was going to focus on some beer related app project ... but I haven't talked to him in a couple years at this point, so I don't know what ever came of it.
    I've got no idea what you're talking about man ...

beertunes, BrewsOverHoes and WCKDVBZ like this.
  28. DEdesings57

Trader

Exaclty, or as least a little something for the die hard fans who spent tons of money on the Sixpoint brand and believed in it!

BrewsOverHoes and WCKDVBZ like this.
  29. DEdesings57

Trader

A goodbye for starters! A big thanks for all his loyal consumers who believed in his brand. A letter of a gratification and appreciation. An honest approach to his loyal fans.

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  30. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I still don't understand what your complaint is. Do you think that brewery representatives shouldn't post openly here? Are you upset that the ones that have/do aren't more candid?

31. WCKDVBZ

Maybe a bit much, but something along those lines. Or at least one of those things.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  32. DEdesings57

Trader

I accept that, cheers!

33. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (655) Mar 28, 2009 California

I believe @DEdesings57 was stating that how sixpoint used to be active and engaged on BA is the examples of breweries using BA for marketing and for good. I didn’t anywhere where he said sixpoint was bad.

34. DEdesings57

Trader

Thank You so much :ok_hand::clap::+1:

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  35. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

But they just keep expressing anger about six points behavior here. And I still don't understand the revolution comment. And I still don't understand the concern presented in the op, so maybe I'm just out of the loop

36. WCKDVBZ

And you're 3 hours behind us! Dammit man! :slight_smile:

37. draheim

Society

I think I remember who you guys are talking about now. Sixpoint is 3,000 miles away from me so I don’t really pay attention to all the minutiae. Never had one of their beers AFAIK.

But I guess I’d say, everyone has their reasons for doing what they choose to do. If some BAs were influenced by the enthusiasm of a fellow BA community member who also happened to run a brewery, and bought that brewery’s beer for that reason, I guess I’m not sure what the problem is. Presumably you also bought the beer because you enjoyed drinking it. It’s not like someone whose handle was Sixpoint was being underhanded or covert about their affiliation with the brewery.

And if he left, either before or after the buyout, obviously he has no reason to continue to promote the brewery. Maybe he stopped drinking beer altogether. Maybe he joined a religious cult. Who knows. It’s a beer website, I guess I don’t get why some folks seem to think he owes them something.

If that’s the kind of indirect marketing the OP is getting at, I’d just point everyone to the BA code of conduct. It talks specifically about promoting products on the site.

IKR, jakecattleco, MNAle and 6 others like this.
  38. WCKDVBZ

That's fair! You have some good points there.

Besides...What's the point, when you're no longer a part of Sixpoint? There's absolutely no f!@#$%^ point.

39. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Maybe with another 3 hours of drinking I'll get OPs point

IKR, TrojanRB, jakecattleco and 6 others like this.
  40. WCKDVBZ

He'll be P.T.F.O. by then! :expressionless: zzZzzZzzZzz