Breweries that you used to like but avoid now?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Jun 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 (0) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

3 Floyds

Zombie Dust used to be the main exception but even that has been meh lately IMO.I had some fresh dust the other week and it was like ehhhh okay? Not worth the price at all.

Their beer is expensive and it could just be my pallet evolving but it's not as good as I remember it being?

Once Toppling Goliath became a regular thing here I never looked back at 3F.

#1 cmiller4642, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. Shanex

Shanex (1,054) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Goose Island, beside the obvious BCBS and variants. The rest of their beers just aren’t all that pricey but for the same price I’d opt for SN, or Lagunitas.

Prairie, great beers for those I’ve had. Money/price is putting me off though.

Flying Dog, simply because they aren’t available anymore here? Not outstanding or World-class beers, but reasonably priced and good. Vanished, gone, gonzo.

3. traction

traction (0) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Agreed. Prairie makes great beers and I have enjoyed a bunch of them but in 2020 there are a ton of great stouts available with a much more reasonable price tag. I can get either a bomber of Mexican Cake or a six pack of Xocoveza for like $3 more than a single 12oz bottle of Bomb! The value just isn't there.

2_Beardz, dprice, ColdOne and 18 others like this.
  4. Insomniac

Insomniac (0) Nov 5, 2019 Canada (ON)
    Deactivated

I used to drink a lot of stuff from Mill Street Brewing but currently drink nothing from them. It's not that they deteriorated, it's that other breweries in Ontario just moved past them. So, I guess if you're not moving forward you're moving backward. There is no status quo.

beerluvr, hottenot, BJB13 and 2 others like this.
  5. kjlcm

kjlcm (0) Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire

Smuttynose. Used to love them but they got too big at the wrong time and their beers never evolved with the times. They have tried but have yet to have a new beer from them in the past few years I was wowed by. But I’ll still root for them and have a Finest Kind every here and there.

6. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter (1,440) Aug 12, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Stone, and I cut my teeth on WCIPA. If they bring back the OG versions of Stone IPA, and Ruination, I'm down like 4 flat tires & a spare. Until then...

Cheers!

7. traction

Trader

Smuttynose was sold a couple years ago due to financial troubles if I recall correctly. I use to drink a lot of their stuff now I don't even see it around anymore which is kind of sad they were one of the first breweries that helped get me into craft.

beerluvr, hottenot, REVZEB and 7 others like this.
  8. KS_Augsburg

KS_Augsburg (0) Jul 29, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Stone, Goose Island, Ballast Point, and there are probably a few more.

9. traction

Trader

Maybe I am being overly critical but outside Xocoveza I don't think Stone has made an interesting distro beer since their Mocha IPA a few years ago. I used to buy Arrogant Bastard by the case back in like 2009 but overall Stone seems to have become stagnant pumping out generic Stonish IPA's that are solid to drink but nothing I would actually buy assuming I had other options available.

10. REVZEB

REVZEB (1,608) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Rogue, dead guy ale helped me get into the game so it will always have a special place in my heart. Used to always try their now bottles back in the day. Actually did try Dead n Dead recently, but besides that haven't bought anything from them in years.

And then Wicked Weed, absolutely loved them. Having lived in Asheville briefly their selling out was very disappointing. That being said if I come across any of those angel variants I'll probably buy it. I guess I am not very good at this game!

officerbill, BJB13, eppCOS and 5 others like this.
  11. dcotom

dcotom (1,521) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm not as enamored of Evil Twin, Stone, and Ballast Point as I was when I first got interested in craft beer. I thought the whole "Arrogant" thing was kinda cool, and I don't think I've ever had a beer from ET or BP that I didn't like. But there's too much other stuff of comparable quality out there, and at much better prices.

Goose Island can go piss up a rope, and when they do they can get in line behind everyone else AB-InBev owns. (That is, until I run across some more $4.99 BCBS, as I did earlier this year.)

12. zid

zid (829) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Too many craft brewers to list.

13. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash (0) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

stone, rogue, ballast point, bear republic, and green flash

BSW, einhorn, Kb024 and 5 others like this.
  14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack (810) Mar 19, 2012 California

Stone, Ballast Point, Deschutes. If you took the "way back" machine 7-8 years ago and you would have found a third and half of my beer from theses companies. Today - only Deschutes Black Butte for my wife.

Junior, BJB13, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa (964) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I had not purchased Stone beer in a while but I recently found a very fresh Stone IPA 12-pack so I 'splurged'. Those beers essentially had zero hop aroma - WTF!?!

I will not be buying any more Stone beers.

Cheers!

16. Spade

Spade (737) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Victory. Most of the new beers they release don't interest me, and the packaging/branding (which, yeah I know, shouldn't really matter) is off-putting at the least. They still brew a number of their old standbys but for some reason I can't get around to buying any of them.

I like to buy local and over the last year or so it's been mostly Yards, Sly Fox, and Tröegs.

17. dennis3951

dennis3951 (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

None, I buy less of them than I used to. That is only because there are so many more options to buy instead.

18. EnronCFO

EnronCFO (685) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Trillium. Even before the scandal I hated what their IPAs had turned into. Original recipe Fort Point and Congress St. were two of the best hoppy beers I've had, and then they monkeyed with the fermentation profile and it went downhill. I was complaining about hop burn from Trillium before I'd ever even heard the term!

19. traction

Trader

What was the time frame you they played with the fermentation profile? I haven't have Fort Point or Congress Street since ~2017 or so but according to my notes I thought it was awesome then

Rug and ChicagoJ like this.
  20. MikeWard

MikeWard (942) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Been getting away from Avery and Flying Dog recently, and even Victory. Seemed like a lot of their newer offerings were a little lightweight (excepting Avery's Barrel Aged series of course)

Add to that 3 Floyd's, Toppling Goliath, Surly, and Lawson's coming to PA, much tastier options there.

21. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock (0) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

I stopped drinking Founders entirely after their history of racism and inability to rectify it. Don't miss it one bit.

22. kjlcm

kjlcm (0) Jul 16, 2013 New Hampshire

Green Flash is a great one! Used to be so happy to find some fresh West Coast IPA or Pallet Wrecker!

deanzaZZR, GaToWyo, BJB13 and 3 others like this.
  23. eppCOS

eppCOS (1,094) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Ditto on Stone (I will cave occasionally for the Drink By, and Xocoveza)
    Used to drink more Avery, not so much anymore (with noted barrel aged stuff being an exception).
    Same for New Belgium, apart from their revived sour and Lips of Faith runs.
    More locally, Bristol Brewing just fell off a cliff when they moved to their new facility. No taste and quality control. I try them ever 3-4 months just to see, but nope, not yet.

REVZEB, SFACRKnight, BJB13 and 3 others like this.
  24. colby600

colby600 (789) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I couldn't agree more. I haven't been there since.

meb3476 and BJB13 like this.
  25. rgordon

rgordon (695) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Finestkind, Robust Porter, and Old Brown Dog graced my fridge for years. The quest for the ever new by a fickle craft culture doomed them. It is a damned shame, but they are not alone.

26. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 (513) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Bomb! is on of my favorite beers, and their Noir stuff is the tits, but damn that price tag.

Scotchboy, Shanex and Lahey like this.
  27. keithmurray

keithmurray (991) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Brewery : Founders
    Reason : you know why...

Stone - other than Xocoveza, nothing interests me and they discontinued a lot of beers that I used to drink (IRS, Levitation)

RyanK252, thebeers, beerluvr and 11 others like this.
  28. arizcards

arizcards (1,473) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Would agree with previous posters on Prairie and Evil Twin.
    Some regional brewers for me would include The Bruery (big boozy beers) and Bottle Logic (loved the tap room when i visited but most beers distributed to AZ are seriously over hyped and over priced).
    Because of the influx of local brewers and breweries distributing to Arizona from out of state, i find that i am trying these and not buying the OG that i bought regularly 5-15 years ago as much, if at all anymore. Kind of makes me sad and nostalgic for the OG.

BJB13, Shanex and ChicagoJ like this.
  29. Lahey

Lahey (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Old Nation. The beers I see from them are usually hazy ipas and are usually 4 16 oz for like 15 bucks. I'm not into hazies anymore (I never really got that much into them), I don't like the format or the price. The latter two points were always a problem for me. Their coffee brown ale is good, other than that I pass these days.

BJB13, eppCOS, ChicagoJ and 3 others like this.
  30. DISKORD

DISKORD (0) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Funky Buddha and Wicked Weed

31. woemad

woemad (1,573) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

NoLi, formerly Northern Lights. Oldest surviving brewery in my city. The beer is mostly mediocre rather than bad. Just don't like the way they do business, and there's plenty of better beer brewed in and around Spokane, so I just skip them.

32. Tilley4

Tilley4 (1,090) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

No more Steam Hollow for me...enough said...

Also.... for some reason I just dont so Terrapin any longer...they ditched their best beers (Big Hoppy Monster comes to mind) and I just dont reach for them anymore

bubseymour and BJB13 like this.
  33. EnronCFO

EnronCFO (685) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

If I recall, it was right before they opened in canton. I don’t remember the dates

just checked my untappd, and looks like mid-2017

34. beergorrilla

beergorrilla (1,090) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

yeah all there ipas are pretty much the same 1 trick pony imo, id like to see a dank ipa from them

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  35. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat (0) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Electron Brown IS quite nice. But you're right, the price per ounce on Old Nation beers just isn't worth a regular pick up for me, I may buy a can here or there. *old man voice* I remember when Old Nation took over brewing the Sanders stouts from Detroit Beer Co. And they focused on English style ales!

There's a few others I started on but never made a regular purchase, mostly Ballast Point and Dogfish. Basically for the same reason as Old Nation, the price wasn't worth the value (although I've seen more reasonable prices from both more recently).

ChicagoJ likes this.
  36. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson (1,068) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Put me down for this complaint with stone as well. There's plenty of stone beers I would love to buy... except stone doesn't make or package them anymore. The ones that I do see from stone are just another IPA and usually like 15$ a 6 pack

37. russpowell

russpowell (1,829) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Roger, roger on Prairie

Shanex and ChicagoJ like this.
  38. russpowell

Society Trader

give us one!

Rug and ChicagoJ like this.
  39. guinness77

guinness77 (948) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

Kinda local to NY I guess, but SingleCut is on my don’t buy list now. I’ll get it in a bar, I won’t buy any cans of theirs anymore.

Sad, because they were amongst the first breweries in NYC who made great IPAs but between the price, and, more importantly, the consistency, I never knew what I was gonna get. I’ve gotten downright brown IPAs from them, and once it happened for the 3rd time, that was it.

Roy_Hobbs, Rocktire, BruChef and 6 others like this.
  40. russpowell

Society Trader

Bristol, but I stopped in 09

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.