Breweries to visit in Columbus, OH

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Aj026, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Aj026

Aj026 Initiate (18) Feb 4, 2019 Florida
    Trader

I’m going to be visiting Columbus next month. What are some breweries worth stopping at?

dcotom likes this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,055) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

You might want to post your question in the Great Lakes forum if you haven't already. Meanwhile, check out BA's Beer Guide for Columbus.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

3. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,296) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Premium Trader

Lineage is a cool place and Wolf's Ridge is a must ! Land Grant I've heard good things about ... Haven't been there myself though.
    North High is worth checking out.
    Seventh Son is a must as well. Enjoy !

4. Aj026

Trader

Thank you! I did not. I’m still figuring out how to naviagate this forum. I appreciate it

dcotom likes this.
  5. Aj026

Trader

Thanks for the tips. There’s a bar crawl on the 16th when we are there so we may go to that and hopefully it stops at some of the breweries that day.

dcotom likes this.
  6. pest

pest Disciple (344) Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Where in Columbus are you staying?

I’d hit Hoof Hearted, Wolfs Ridge, and maybe Pretentious as general recommendations. Columbus Brewing would get a nod but they don’t have a taproom yet (try some drafts/bottles while your here).

bluejacket74 and dcotom like this.
  7. Aj026

Trader

Not entirely sure. My fiancée has to go for a business conference so we’re going up a couple days before. We are going to book an air bnb soon, but not sure on the exact location.
    Wolf’s ridge seems to keep coming up so we’ll definitely have to stop ther I’ll have to check out Hoof Hearted too.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  8. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,461) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Trader

I’d skip Hoof. They’re easily the most overrated brewery in Ohio and their brewpub is just weird. Wolfs Ridge is a far, far better option. Fantastic food and a diverse lineup of solid beers.

invertalon and CannedWaggoneer like this.
  9. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (4,640) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Premium

If you find out the location post it and that would help with recommendations so you won't be driving all over town. There are lots of breweries worth checking out here, just depends on what you're into. My favorites are Wolf's Ridge, Combustion, Zaftig and Pretentious (if you're into sours), but if you find out where you're staying a lot of us can give you more local spots to go to.

10. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (153) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois

Hoof may have some interesting NE ipas. I liked the space at Seventh Son and the beers I’ve tried have been solid. Wolfs ridge typically has a nice variety of styles and may have some bottles to go. I really like their back bar area with the communal tables. Great atmosphere back there.

Aj026 and CannedWaggoneer like this.
  11. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (90) May 1, 2017 Ohio

If you focused an afternoon in the downtown/German Village/North 4th area you could hit basically all our best with no more than maybe $20 in Uber all day.

Seventh Son's new sister sour brewery, Antiques On High is open in German Village, and its got arguably cooler atmosphere than Seventh Son. Its right next door to The Daily Growler. Land Grant is pretty darn close and across the street from one of the many BrewDog chains, ~$6 base fare Uber ride. Wolfs Ridge is even closer. You could do all 3. Once you're at Wolf's Ridge you're walkable to Platform (I do NOT recommend Platform but they are better than Hoof and BrewDog), and on the same street a mile south of Seventh Son and Hoof Hearted.

Skip Hoof Hearted, avoid BrewDog and Platform. These places are all quite terrible.
    Wolf's Ridge is the best with the widest variety; Them and Seventh Son (for that area) are one of the few left with their hearts in the right place.

Aj026 likes this.
  12. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (371) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

Go to Hoof Hearted.

KevinJohnson2 likes this.
  13. Aj026

Trader

We’re going to book today or tomorrow so I can let you know soon. I appreciate the recommendations and love sours.

14. Aj026

Trader

That’s good to know. I planned on spending an afternoon brewery hopping.

Why are there so many conflicting opinions about Hoof Hearted?

15. pest

Trader

They specialize in NE IPA which some people take issue with. In addition they have had problems with inconsistent recipes, beers that have fallen off too fast, and many that taste similar. Their general vibe rubs some people the wrong way (their Instagram posts do make me cringe). All that said they do put out some really good IPAs, IMO, and I would still check them out.

16. wolfatyourdoor

wolfatyourdoor Initiate (42) Jan 23, 2017 Ohio

CannedWaggoneer has a massive hate boner for Hoof. Don't take him too seriously.

Skip Platform at all costs. Wolf's Ridge is the best for sure.

17. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Zealot (569) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

In addition, they've had some major QC issues, including but not limited to exploding cans and oxidized beer being canned and sold. Mostly, though, people are turned off by their inconsistency (which is being very nice about it, frankly) and their juvenile image. If you like haze, you might luck into a good batch of something. I wouldn't waste my time and money, but YMMV.

CannedWaggoneer likes this.
  18. Aj026

Trader

I feel like I have to check it out now to see what all the fuss is about. I don’t care for the way the market themselves, but I’ll probably go in grab a flight and head out.

tepie likes this.
  19. wolfatyourdoor

The exploding cans were brewed by Evil Twin afaik. Hoof was in on the beer as the collaborator, and certainly bares some responsibility, but that was an Evil Twin beer brewed in new york. Didn't even see distro in Ohio to my knowledge. I fully agree that the unstable fruit additions are unacceptable in beer.

And they've had some issues with oxidation from their canning line, yes.

If you enjoy NEIPAs you'll try several at the brew pub that you'll think are more than up to par. I think the brew pub is actually pretty refreshing as it's about the only brewery that hasn't built out an industrial-chic style brewpub in the last decade.

adschal1 likes this.
  20. CannedWaggoneer

And a brewer who has, at least once, publicly conflated trade demand for quality, argued with a customer who didn't like one of their beers, bragged about being traded for certain other NEIPAs. They also seem determined to wedge themselves into comparisons with other, more major and respected NEIPA breweries while thumbing their noses at the local Ohio scene. Bizarre service at the 4th St bar. Questionable business decisions involving contract brewing and out of state distribution and more.

But yeah, hate boner. Please ignore.

21. pest

Trader

All true things.

Also true: I enojoyed Kokomo, 3DH Roller Blabe, and Special Occassion from the recent releases.

Should we have to put up with one set to enjoy the other? Not at all, but I’m not aware of other options in central Ohio that compete on the same level. Dank house and yellow springs are both good but both don’t offer the canning options (or remotely close on frequency) and in general haven’t been able to hit top tier hoof level. I really want to give masthead a try, it’s just a hike for me to head up to Cleveland.

22. CbusBrews13

CbusBrews13 Initiate (31) Apr 6, 2017 Ohio

DankHouse's last few new beers (Dose of Citra/Dose of Citra Juice/Cheech Breath/Chasing Trees #4) have all been ridiculous. I'm serious when I say Dose of Citra is one of the best NEIPAs I've had in the last year.

They are also bumping up their stout game to a new level recently.

But yeah, if you're just coming into town, it might be hard to get out to Newark to visit.

pest likes this.
  23. wolfatyourdoor

These are all pretty inconsequential, and you bring them up every time in every thread remotely involving Hoof.. You dislike their public persona. That's fine. Just move on.

24. CannedWaggoneer

The focus on hype and exclusivity over consistency absolutely does have its consequences which we are already seeing. Take Platform as an example (unless I have my timelines all wrong). They are now nothing more than machine gun fire of one crappy, derivative beer after another. Platform does what Hoof does only better and on a grocery store scale. They've tailored their approach to play on weaknesses in people's brains. The fear of missing out on the one that might finally be as good as it sounds. These companies are the cellphone freemium games of beer. Bright, flashy, obnoxious, catchy and offering nothing of any substance.

Now I'm not saying that Hoof and Hoof alone is responsible for Platform's business model because I don't believe much of what Hoof does are original ideas in the first place, but this is a growing shift in craft beer as a whole.

jampics2 likes this.
  25. Aj026

Trader

Alright so I’m going to check out Hoof. I’ll leave the beer politics alone.

Who are your top choices for:
    Sours/wilds, stouts, and NEIPAs.

Sounds like for sours so far antiques on high and pretentious.
    For NEIPAs Hoof and Dank House?
    Who has the best stouts?

tepie likes this.
  26. CannedWaggoneer

Wolf's Ridge has some of the best sours, when available. Tart Cherry Red Legacy had been on last I saw. They also own the stout category. And lager category as well, which no one seems to care.

Aj026 likes this.
  27. Aj026

Trader

I’m not opposed to lagers. It’s nice to take a break from hoppy and heavy beers every so often.
    It seems like Wolf’s Ridge does it all.

28. pest

Trader

Wolf owns local stout scene, Columbus brewing does a couple stouts/porters that are pretty good also (pallet island, steel dawn, Sohio)

29. wolfatyourdoor

Pretentious does amazing sours as well.

Aj026 and CannedWaggoneer like this.
  30. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (371) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

I've enjoyed craft beer for about twenty five years and I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy IPAs and hoppy beers in general. The NE IPAs are still fun to me and I enjoy them greatly and Hoof Hearted makes some fine offerings. I have no problem with their 80's schtick, hell, I'm almost 47 now. Sure some of their stuff is gimmicky and they've had consistency problems, who cares? 9 times out of ten, I over spend for their beer and they leave me more than satisfied.

What I don't get is that someone asks about a place to visit, that's cool right? Well why not just tell them what you like and not take shots at other places? I guess my old a&& needs to accept the age of social media, nonstop complaining, etc......like the Brothers have said on here for years "if it tastes good, drink it."

wolfatyourdoor likes this.
  31. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (85) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Trader

Am I the only one that enjoys North High? It's a good spot. New (as of last year) brewmaster came in from I believe Ballast Point and he has been putting out great classic beer styles. It isn't just haze and pastries

It's about half a mile from Seventh Son and about a mile from Wolfs Ridge

32. pest

Trader

Didn’t realize (or forgot) they had a new brewer. Haven’t had them in several years but they used to be average at best. I’ll have to give them another chance if some more chime in positively about them now.

33. wolfatyourdoor

Stardust to Stardust is a fantastic IPA

jdoncbus and Ronmarley1 like this.
  34. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Initiate (75) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio

Stardust to Stardust is an awesome imperial IPA. Jalalima is a great golf course beer.

35. masterofsparks

Trader

Sours: Pretentious and Wolf's Ridge
    Stouts: It's a pretty thin herd, but I'd say Wolf's Ridge as well. There's usually at least one Dire Wolf variant on tap.
    NEIPAs: This isn't really a style I enjoy, so I don't know what to tell you. Convential wisdom, though, is that Hoof is kinda the only game in town.

Aj026 likes this.
  36. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (460) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Wolf's Ridge is our go-to when in Columbus. Easy. That is the only place I want to visit when we pass through Columbus.

Hoof Brewpub I agree, is just weird. We personally don’t like the vibe and we just pass on it.

Sign me up for one that actually likes Brew Dog. I like the atmosphere and the beers are just solid. Nothing crazy, but good enough that you can just chill and have a good time with friends and such.

Have not been to Platform in Columbus, but been to Cleveland’s a few times… Beer is so hit and miss it’s frustrating. Cool spot (at least here in Cleveland) but yeah, they practically throw darts at the wall blind in terms of the beers they brew. Some can be awesome, but many are also mediocre or just bad. I also don’t like how fast they have expanded and grown, no doubt in my mind they want to sell at the first decent offer they would get from a big company. They are simply trying to build a brand, the beer is just coming along for the ride.

wolfatyourdoor and Aj026 like this.
  37. wolfatyourdoor

As a Clevelander, this is spot on. They have a fun tap room that a lot of non-beer folk like to go to, so I never protest going there, but it's never a spot I'd choose for a good drink.

38. Aj026

Trader

Thanks for sharing. It’s sad to hear that there’s not a big stout game in Columbus. Definitely my go to style especially when it’s cooler.

39. Aj026

Trader

Good to know about Platform. I’ll skip that one. Seems unanimous that no one likes it.

40. masterofsparks

Trader

One more to mention, which is Barley's Bourbon Meyer stout, a barrel-aged chocolate & peanut butter stout. I've never had it, so this isn't a recommendation per se, but people seem to like it, and Barley's isn't terribly far away from Wolf's Ridge.

Aj026 likes this.