Breweries With Generic Names

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, May 9, 2019.

1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,811) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

Of course, at the end of a day, no matter what the breweries name is, if they brew good beer, that’s all that matters.

That being said, there are some local breweries here in SoCal that don’t really stand out in name alone. There’s, State Brewing, Stereo Brewing, Garage Brewing, Good Beer Company, and a brewery that’s name is so generic, I didn’t believe it at first, Local Craft Beer.

Im not saying you have to name your brewery something outlandish like Black Cock Brewing (yes, that is a real brewery in Orange, CA); but something with some personality is a good start.

So, what say you, BA’s? Any generic breweries in your neck of the woods? And do they brew good beer?

2. zid

zid Meyvn (1,282) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Your examples mean that you could have also include Stone Brewing in your list... which shows that familiarity is everything regarding our perception.

I wonder if the two above were even able to trademark their names. I would expect this to be an issue. If they didn't trademark their names, the only thing that would stop competitors from using the same name would be their common sense that it's a terrible name for their business. :wink:

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,565) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Naming your brewery after the name of the city/town it's in..would that be generic?

4. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,811) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

I think it depends on how good the beer is. I wasn’t crying “generic!” when Alpine was brewing legendary IPA’s back in 2013.

TrojanRB and Bitterbill like this.
  5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,413) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

We have a BAD Brewing Company here in Michigan. I visited there in 2012 shortly after they first opened and didn't like the beers very much so I rated the place at 2.76. They're still open and carry a 3.78 rating here on BA for their beers, with the latest ratings around 4.5 so I might have to give them a second chance.

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,985) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

While I, personally, don't give a shit about "branding", it is an area of interest for me to watch, both in general, and particularly in beer. One train of thought is that maybe the owner is looking forward, and with a "generic" name, the rebrand is easier for any future owners.

And, how much personality, err "brand identity", is actually tied into the name? There are bays, rivers, lakes, and shores everywhere. So, Lakeside, Riverfront, Bayview, etc "brewing" could be anywhere, so where is the brand identity?

Personally, I like businesses that are named after a local, distinct feature, whether geographical, historical, or based on famous events or people. But, those type names make any future sale to an out of area buyer less attractive.

Shrug.

LeRose and Bitterbill like this.
  7. beertunes

Trader

Is "BAD" the actual name (like, yeah, we're badass), or an acronym for something else?

RaulMondesi likes this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,413) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It must be an acronym (I hope) but I've never looked into what it is.

beertunes likes this.
  9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (477) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Beers Acquire Diacetyl, maybe?

10. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,356) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Oh my god. I'm dead. :rofl:

Also, I'd probably avoid their "industry night" if I were you.

11. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,305) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Ass clown brewery

12. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,125) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

I expected beer from Standard Brewing in Seattle to be just average based on the name, but they do quite a good job.

RaulMondesi, beertunes and Coronaeus like this.
  13. Junior

Junior Zealot (598) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

They are definitely worth another visit. I started going two-three years back. Nothing mind blowing, but some very good beers. I like their Belgian styles and dark beers. Their IPA’s are average in my opinion. The Chocolate Covered Coffee is one my favorites.

The food truck they have on site now is pretty good as well, an interesting and fresh alternative to typical pub fare. Overall, a very nice atmosphere.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  14. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (369) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

There’s a brewery near me named Boss Dog, and half the people I know always call it by the wrong name cause there’s SO MANY f*cking “dog” named breweries already. Thirsty Dog, Flying Dog, Brew Dog, Sea Dog etc etc etc. Tons of people accidentally call them Brew Dog without even correcting themselves.
    It also doesn’t help that their beer is pretty middle of the road.

RaulMondesi and Ranbot like this.
  15. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,075) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

The obsession with dogs is so cliche in our culture I'm sure you're only scratching the surface of breweries with dog names.

16. beertunes

Trader

Dogs are never cliche.

Humans, in their never-ending need to "fit in", however, not only created the word, but also the actions that define the term.

17. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,766) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

City Brewing Co.
    National Brewing Co.*
    Brewing Corporation of America*
    American Brewing Co.* (Baltimore, MD)
    American Brewing Co.* (Hawaii)
    American Brewing Co.* (New Orleans)
    Standard Brewing Co.* (Rochester, NY)
    Standard Brewing Co. (Cleveland)
    Canadian Breweries Ltd*
    National Breweries Ltd* (Canada)

Not sure the above named (along with many more with the name of the home city or state) can be considered "generic", but their names sure make researching them difficult in the modern age when searching for a word or phrase is possible in old publications with OCR.

*defunct.

18. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,711) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm not sure if they all fit as generic, but here in PA we've got:

2050 State
    2SP Brewing Co.
    412 Brewery
    Benny Brewing Co.
    Brewery ARS
    CR Brewing Co.
    ShuBrew
    The Brewerie
    The Brewery
    Proper Brewing Co.

PABrewReview likes this.
  19. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,075) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

I didn't say dogs were cliche. I said the obsession with them is.

20. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (589) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

pretty much all of our local breweries are named after local geographic features. Several of them are just named for the river they are next to. But I don't know if that counts as generic

beertunes likes this.
  21. Bigrock

Bigrock Initiate (72) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Real Ale Brewing Company
    Blanco Texas

22. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (99) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

As someone who worked for a new brewery there is definitely an air of that but for some, I've found the problem is scaling, probably a good home brewer who fell into some money and lost his mind on a awesome system they aren't used to and just thought some simple math could take their 15 gallon neighborhood winner to scale on a 30bbl system.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  23. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,069) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Two brothers is very close to me ( 5 miles ) and is pretty generic in name. And they brew good beer too.

24. rgordon

rgordon Savant (930) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Here I am at the Bad Cafe in Germany in 1970. Bad means bath in German, and we were close by some amazing hot springs. We thought it was funny.
    [​IMG]

beertunes and zid like this.
  25. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (119) Feb 25, 2013 California

Side Project Brewing.

Great beers. But makes me think, can I have your main stuff?

A_Drunken_Production and mkh012 like this.
  26. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (204) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Wisconsin Brewing Company
    Verona Wisconsin

27. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,808) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Hard to top the military branding BEER as it was canned. I don’t care much about branding, all the Hop____ fill in the blank with ipas was and is a bit ridiculous.

gopens44 likes this.
  28. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (447) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Sucks that in the Mecca that’s referred to as Fort Collins, the Fort Collins brewery had the absolute worst beer in town.

I always thought it was a waste of a great, generic name

tylerstubs likes this.
  29. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Champion (826) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

Springfield Brewing Company, Springfield Mo

30. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,428) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

31. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,245) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I'll take a criminally boring name over a sophomoric double entendre or a tee-hee-he weed reference name anytime. Goes for beer names as well.

Get off my lawn too!

32. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (577) Mar 28, 2009 California

Whenever I am in a new town/city, let’s call it X, and there is a brewery called X brewing I avoid it. It’s usually mediocre.

Speaking of X, there is a new brewery opening in Orange County called X Brewery. How more generic can you get?

RaulMondesi and PapaGoose03 like this.
  33. A_Drunken_Production

A_Drunken_Production Initiate (126) Aug 14, 2017 Oregon
    Society Trader

Bend Brewing Company. They're the second oldest brewery in Bend, OR (1995) so they could have gone a little more creative. Good beers though, so a rose by another name...

GetMeAnIPA, sharpski and PapaGoose03 like this.
  34. Joe13

Joe13 Initiate (30) Aug 7, 2018 New Jersey

Think about what would populate first in a search engine if a tourist who was visiting California decided to google "local craft beer" or "good beer companies". These are common searches. Not saying they make good brewery names, but perhaps the owners were thinking along those lines. In a time where this industry is so over saturated, you kind of have to think like that.

stevepat likes this.
  35. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,108) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Society Trader

West Side Brewing Company. Cincinnati, OH.

This is the closest brewery to my house, and I really want to love them, but their stuff is just average.

They also kinda rub me the wrong way. Before they opened they were touting how they would be "the common man's brewery"... talking shit about over hopped beers and stuff like that.

One of the first times I went there, they were charging $7 for 10oz pours of DIPA...common man my ass... that was a worse per ounce price than any other local brewery I knew of at the time!

stevepat and mambossa like this.
  36. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Meyvn (1,114) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

I'm sure every state has their (insert town name) Brewing, which is lazy, I feel like. However, while not as bad as @RaulMondesi 's BCB shoutout...I'm particularly a fan of (and by that, I mean it's a terrible name) Left Nut Brewing, in Gainesville, GA. And, no, their beers are not particularly good, memorable, nor would you give their namesake for their fluids.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  37. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (369) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

There’s a culprit in my city with a location that features both their beers and many other taps from the region. Where you can get a 12oz pour of a 4% beer for just around $7 !!! Also an 8oz pour of a Jackie O’s BBA stout is just about the price of a bottle itself.

Figures cause it’s located in a hub of around a lot of affluent suburbs.

Needless to say, I only visit when I’m up in the chips. Cause they do have a pretty solid taplist. That margain though...quite a jip.

meanmutt and thatoneguymike like this.
  38. beertunes

Trader

There's no reason to not call your brewery Insert Town Name Brewing. Especially if you're the first brewery in town. Takes a name away from potential competitors, is easy to remember, and will help show up near the top of online searches.

sharpski, PapaGoose03, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  39. zid

Society Trader

But if you avoid it, how do you know? :wink:

PapaGoose03, beertunes and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  40. zid

Society Trader

But those names have the opposite effect regarding an internet search.