Brewery Finds

Discussion in 'New England' started by meefmoff, Apr 27, 2019.

1. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (426) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thought it might be a decent idea to have a sister thread to "Beer Shop Finds" for brewery experiences outside the handful of heavy hitters that have their own threads.

Went to Bone Up today for the first time and thought their Robust Porter (Shut Up Kelly) was fantastic. Very roasty and comforting on a cold afternoon while not being either too bitter, too sweet, or too sharp. I really enjoyed the space too - I can't quite put my finger on what's different about it but it feels very homey and welcoming. For whatever reason I had always thought they had more of a bare bones Devil's Purse/Early Lord Hobo kind of setup.

Wish I'd checked them out sooner. What else good is pouring around your area?

2. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (308) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

I moved out of Everett a few months ago, so haven't seen their expanded space yet, but the original place was just too narrow and small. Next to impossible to get into when dealing with the Nightshift overflow. Hope the expanded space works for them.

Since I moved up to the NH border I've been well impressed with Stoneface. Decent beer, decent food, decent space.

Silvaticus make the best lagers east of Jacks Abby and have a nice spot.

Deciduous was a nice find for NEIPAs, but their space is pretty mediocre. Strip mall location, strip mall feel

3. meefmoff

Trader

We went early so it was pretty empty. I can see how that original area would have been difficult to navigate if it was at all busy. The new additional space is larger than what they started with and has its own bar, so I imagine that things are better now when they're busy.

And speaking of Nightshift, they were freaking *packed* today with some sort of mini music festival thing going on. Line down the street at 2:00 in the afternoon.

4. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (219) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Swung by Castle Island on Saturday around 2pm. Place was pretty damn busy but we landed a seat at the bar. Unbeknownst to me they were tapping a table beer collab between them, Widowmaker and Nightshift called Table of Elements.

It was pretty damn tasty! Disappointed they didn't have it in cans to go, but man did it go well with pizza from Fiamma Bella. Never heard of this mobile oven but they easily make some of the best wood-fired pizza in the area.

5. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (181) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

Redemption Rock in Worcester is one of the cooler taprooms ive been into in a while. Fun space, solid and improving beers, nice people. I'm excited to keep checking in there!

6. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (148) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

RIver Styx has made some crazy good IPA's. Definitely worth the trip, and it's close to Wachussett. So you can take a hike up the mountain first and completely nullify drinking 3-4 600 calorie beers before your wife chaperones you home. Highly recommended.

7. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (117) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I love Bone Up. Their core beers are solid and they always have a good variety of styles on tap. And they regularly have cask ale. The couple that owns it are super friendly and theres a great quirky/homey vibe to the space.

meefmoff likes this.
  8. Shaymus

Shaymus Defender (627) May 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society

Stellwagen Beer Co. in Marshfield consistently puts out some pretty tasty beer along with a nice spot to enjoy them...........

also a shout out to Burke's Alewerks in Hanover

9. brewme

brewme Crusader (729) Mar 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Can Stellwagen cans be found outside the brewery?

10. Nestor87

Nestor87 Initiate (71) Jun 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

They have some distribution, but it seems somewhat inconsistent. South shore seems to get it most often. I’ve found them at Fort Point Market occasionally too.

11. brewme

brewme Crusader (729) Mar 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Would like to try it. Work in Rockland, live Plymouth...let me know if anyone spots any in that vicinity....

12. Shaymus

Shaymus Defender (627) May 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society

I believe I saw them at CBC Braintree and the memory is a bit foggy but i think Kappys Norwell too.... not sure on the frequency of deliveries though.......
    The brewery is not that far from Rte 3. FWIW

13. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (162) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

My store Empire Wine and Spirits in Kingston gets them

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  14. Rysk22

Trader

At that point you're about 15 min away from the brewery, why not swing by?

eaglephile and Sheppard like this.
  15. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (634) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Recently had the Bock @ Lowell Beer Works. Damn tasty.

soheadyithurts and meefmoff like this.
  16. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (265) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've had a few fresh cans of their offerings and found them to be much like Windowmaker, which is forgettable. Just more average beer taking up shelf space at this point.

17. pbrian

pbrian Defender (664) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

That was my assessment of their beer too, but that was last summer when they first opened. I'm up that way a lot in the summer and will try again, I hope my initial reaction proves to be wrong now.

18. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,172) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Brick and Feather in Turners Falls, had a full house for
    Slow Pour Sunday this past week, Excellent use of the slow pour to accentuate
    the Helles, and Franconian Lagers released.
    Also they have jazzed up gravity casks on many weekends

Cheers

19. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,118) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I look forward to having them every year at the Lexington Green event.

What's a "jazzed up" gravity cask?

Shaymus likes this.
  20. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,172) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

They take a base beer offering from that week, and Dry hop or, add adjuncts.
    We have enjoyed the Porter with Cocoa and Vanilla beans, or the pale ale with sage, one time stout with peppermint and cocoa, as a nod to Girl scout cookies, think thin mints,
    all have been well thought out and quite good to drink.
    Cheers

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  21. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (554) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

The beertender puts on a top hat then shakes the cane and gives the old "jazz hands" before finishing your pour.

22. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (396) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I was in Kittery Me last weekend for the Mott the Lesser release at Tributary. We stopped at 3 other breweries on the way back (to the detriment of my liver...) All in Portsmouth - Great Rhythm, Liar's Bench and Loaded Question. All really solid brewers there. Didn't explore the entire list, but what I tried from each was very good.

23. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (142) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts

I’m loving stellwagon’s IPA’s, and I’ve been impressed by their dancing gose series too.

Two places I’ve enjoyed while traveling to/from Portland and charlton are Earth Eagle in Portsmouth and Cold Harbor in Westborough.

Earth Eagle has got a solid restaurant attached to their brewery, and for some reason I love cleansing my hopped I’ll palate with gruit. Cold Harbor’s taproom is tiny, but they do some good work with ipa’s that are taproom only.

24. AlcahueteJ

I started reading this thinking, "Oh wow, same trip as the other guy in the other thread."

Then I realized you were the other guy in the other thread. :rolling_eyes:

JrGtr likes this.
  25. meefmoff

Trader

I never have the urge to buy any of it to take home but I love trying out the whacky things at Earth Eagle. It always feels like something of an adventure.

And the restaurant and vibe are both pretty great too in my experience.

eaglephile and rhino88888888 like this.
  26. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (128) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

I stopped by Riverwalk in Newburyport today because I have always loved their english bitter Uncle Bob’s. Their other stuff is fine, but I really really love that beer. 4.5%, great body, just a good sessionable underappeciated style.

Then I was informed by Steve, the owner, they were shelving it because it doesn’t sell.

Terrible news. I get that these places are businesses, but damn I don’t want all the non-hazy ipas to disappear.

SunDevilBeer, AlcahueteJ and Sheppard like this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

Awesome. Honkers and now this.

Fucking New England IPAs.

28. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (634) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

That sucks, the Bitter was my favorite beer there. I don't dislike the rest of their lineup, but don't really find any of their other beers memorable. I'll still visit the taproom on occasion, the back patio is a nice place to have a few pints and play cornhole.

Sheppard and mrmattosgood like this.
  29. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (153) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

The wife and I stopped by Northampton Brewery and Progession Brewing in Northampton last week.

Northampton was fine (both the food and the beer) but nothing really stood out. Just a point of information, if you order the "pretzel bits" you are getting pieces of pizza dough. They taste good, they just aren't pretzels.

Progession had several excellent IPAs mainly (but not exclusively) revolving around Citra and Mosaic hops. Clearly a well funded operation, the taproom was very nicely laid out.

rhino88888888 and meefmoff like this.
  30. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (117) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I love that roof deck at Northampton. Gotta get back there this summer!

SouthAtholSuds and SABERG like this.
  31. Rysk22

Trader

What's the deal with River Styx? I've heard some great things and the wife and I may be in the area this weekend. Would love to finally try them. Cans look to be sporadic? Same for crowlers?

32. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (193) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Depends what you’re into. I’ve had probably 5-6 hoppy offerings and 3-4 stouts. They were good not great. Tap room is nice but don’t plan on any neighborhood to walk around before or after.

Worth a try if in the area.

AlcahueteJ, Rysk22 and Trull like this.