Brewery that's changed your opinion

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RacerX5k, May 18, 2018.

1. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (357) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Often in the last year Founders has been the only beer in my fridge (granted, I only keep what I drink on hand).
    DKML AND Doom were last year's best beers, Backwoods is always very good, and this year's KBS is spectacular. Which amazes me, considering in the beginning I was a hater. Why did I have to go out of my way and spend $10 on that completely average KBS? Why did I get 6 last year when one was more than enough? Why is this beer so average every year? Well. not this year. Takes a real commitment now to drink just one KBS, and I've had many this year. That's what I've been waiting for, a friggin' commitment.

So what's changed your opinion? What's your favoriter brewery and why? Discuss.

Dan411 likes this.
  2. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (357) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Ok, I'll break the ice. Forgot, picked up a sixer of Dirty Bastard for the ridiculously discounted price of $7.69 tonight, drinking one now, so good, actually tastes like ice cream. Yes.

The only other brewery I could imagine in the conversation would be the Alchemist, had the Crusher recently that was also spectacular. But so limited (and expensive) leaves them out ...

3. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (350) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

The first time I tried a bell's beer years ago, I wasn't a craft beer drinker. Whatever it was tasted like they brewed it in a copper bell, very metallic. I think it was an ipa Probably was more my untrained palate than a bad beer. Now I enjoy their beers very much, especially their ipas.

4. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,193) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Hill Farmstead was the brewery that changed my opinion of beer back in 2012. A pale ale at <6% ABV can taste this flavorful and aromatic? What is this complex funk/sour thing going on in this saison? Was very eye opening that beers could be made that good. Before that I only had experienced many of the shelf beers from the stores, and it was before the NEIPA crazy and I really never had anything funky or sour before that time either.

oldbean likes this.
  5. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,676) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Many years ago Bells Two Hearted converted me to an IPA man

6. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (195) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I remember years back not being a fan of Jackie Os, since most of what we got up here was just their core beers, consisting of Mystic Mama (which I didn’t find that great pre-recipe change), an amber ale, a brown ale, and a raspberry wheat.

I remember Dark Apparition starting to make its way up here and I loved it. More of their stouts and BA beer made their way up, and I’ve loved each and every one. Then they started releasing seasonal hoppy beers and the Mandala series, which HEAVILY impressed me.

Now they are distributing some of the most delicious mixed fermentation/wild farmhouse/saison styles I’ve ever tasted.

They got me from being a naysayer to literally kissing their feet! They can do no wrong!!

7. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,348) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Santa Fe used to be, at least to me, the poster child for uninspiring, mediocrity. Lately, they have upped their game and have begun putting out a lot of beers I have thoroughly enjoyed.

8. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (135) Feb 13, 2018 New York

The only brewery I feel any sort of overwhelming love for is Allagash. They have integrity, identity, distinction and authority. A bit expensive - but there you go.

I once felt a great love for Victory when they were German flagwavers - but they have fallen to Ballast Point syndrome of taking one beer (GM) and serving it up in 9 directions.

DJturnstile likes this.
  9. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (295) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Alchemist is expensive at 12 dollars a 4 pack? Have you seen tired hands?

TheIPAHunter likes this.
  10. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (688) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Got to say I have no go to favorite brewery.

It was Victory but post sell out they are in steady decline. Feels like everything is a stab in the dark with no plan or understanding of their customer.

Enjoy

JackHorzempa likes this.
  11. teal

teal Initiate (78) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Old Rasputin made me a stout guy. I used to be one that didn't like beer at all unless it was home brew and then it was all Nut Brown Ale. Tried an OR and the switch got flipped.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  12. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (825) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina

Wow--tough choice.

I will have to say Burial might be one that does no wrong.

And I give you props on KBS being strong this year despite naysayers. Loved the last two years.

Lahey likes this.
  13. Lazhal

Lazhal Disciple (367) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I would say that Founders has changed my opinion on the styles that can benefit from barrel treatment. Despite the hate much of the barrel aged series gets, they have been overall pretty good and a nice change from the norm.

surfcaster likes this.
  14. Jmclowell

Jmclowell Disciple (386) Jan 27, 2018 Massachusetts

I was a loyal Sam Adams Boston Lager drinker for many years. Over a year ago my craft beer loving son brought me TreeHouse, Trillium, Tilted Barn and Proclamation. I was never a huge IPA fan...too bitter. But Julius changed my world! Thank you TreeHouse!

15. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (629) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Firestone Walker, by producing such excellent beers but even with the smaller bottles making zero effort to distribute them to rural Western Illinois turned me into a cynic convinced that distribution will always be a cluster.

16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,545) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Yeah, Victory is a bit different after the sell out to ABV.:slight_frown:

Cheers!