1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Brewery Updates in Minnesota (2019)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by KarlHungus, Dec 27, 2018.

1. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (45) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

burlyb likes this.
  2. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Aspirant (241) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

He's definitely gone. Heard about this a month or so ago and had it confirmed by BT but was not given a reason why. I'd assume it was because he rubbed more than one person the wrong way.

3. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Aspirant (241) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Any info on Big Heist in South St Paul? Their facebook page mentions that they're businessmen and not brewers, with lots of talk about what the business will look like and none about the beer or who's brewing it.

4. Bravak

Bravak Initiate (141) Sep 9, 2014 Minnesota

As “businessmen”, they must not prioritize getting a return on their investment.

Speaking of ownership: does anyone know the situation at Insight? It seems like that Ilan dude went silent. (Which is saying something as it seemed like he really, really, really wanted to be know as ‘the guy’).

Ilan is still in their website but appears to have either gone quietly dark, or, perhaps been pushed that way. I’ve run into a number of former employees that are now brewing/working elsewhere, and their stories..... well, let’s just say that have lots of them.

mrpeterandthepuffers likes this.
  5. islay

islay Aspirant (243) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

6. LOWFisherman

LOWFisherman Initiate (23) Sep 21, 2018 Minnesota
    Trader

did any BA's make it to Drastic Measures over the weekend? would love to hear about it.

7. Crazytrain83

Crazytrain83 Initiate (50) Feb 19, 2017 Minnesota

I heard it was packed. The guys from Junkyard posted that they were there and had to hop behind the bar and help pour.

8. HeadRetention

HeadRetention Initiate (67) Jul 13, 2015 Minnesota

Ansari's just tapped Pat McCrotch from Drastic Measures, hopefully real soon get Stoopid Good as well ( don't recall if they got to keep the name, the recipe for sure)

9. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (45) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

I dont want to talk too much crap but I will say Insight is a very oddly run brewery. I know a few people that have worked there and no longer do because the management cant seem to get the big picture. That Ilan dude doesn't really brew, hes just the decision maker. The news articles make him out to be something bigger than he is. The other owners also dont really do much in terms of brewing and or packaging, they are just there. Well one of them, Eric, actually tries to find out what is going on and remedy situations that arise, which they do often.

As you mentioned there are alot of stories about this place and I will say at one point nobody knew how to fix the crappy canning machine that was chewing cans up and spitting them out and it was down for a week. Also another time they had to call back the former packaging manager that quit, to come by and show they how to work it...after blowing through and dumping half the tank of perfectly good beer.

10. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,069) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

This sounds factual. However, I'd like to say one good thing about Insight. They are one of the few breweries in the area that understand it is their job to promote their brand, and not the job of stores or bars.

11. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (60) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

ONE’ of a kind brewpub coming to the North Loop

Two names familiar to Minnesota’s beer industry are behind a new brewery project in the North Loop of Minneapolis—ONE Fermentary & Taproom.

Ramsey Louder, formerly a brewer at Dangerous Man Brewing Company and most recently a cellarman at New Holland Brewing in Michigan, and Joseph Alton, the former editor-in-chief of The Growler Magazine, are starting an experimental brewpub at 618 5th St. N., Minneapolis. The space is next door to Number 12 Cider and within a few blocks of Fulton Brewing’s taproom, Modist Brewing, and Inbound BrewCo.

https://growlermag.com/one-of-a-kind-brewpub-coming-to-the-north-loop/

stinsonwbs likes this.
  12. Chumley22

Chumley22 Initiate (83) Sep 28, 2013 Minnesota

Love the sound of this!
    My wife loves the fact there will be wine available.
    I love that Ramsey is coming back to town!

stinsonwbs likes this.
  13. islay

Interesting strategy to go the brewpub route. I get it in that the type of product in which they plan to specialize has a limited audience, and they want to have other options available to appeal to the majority of potential patrons, who presumably have little to no interest in mixed culture fermented beverages. In addition, this is the sort of product that has passionate fans who may go out of their way (such as to the North Loop) to seek it out. They'll be able to sell no more than 500 barrels per year off-sale by law, but they may have some creative opportunities to get around that. For instance, if they do decide that they want to distribute, since they'll be brewing much of their wort at other breweries anyway, they could eventually have one of their owners divest and form an associated but technically separate company, finish the fermentation process offsite as well, and distribute it as any client or gypsy brewing company might do (essentially the Yoerg model, and Forager has talked about doing something along the same lines). Recall that the never-to-be Oakhold was planning eventually to open a similar concept (brewpub in Minneapolis under technically separate ownership to supplement the Midway Township fermentery, which would've trucked in externally produced wort). As competitive as the distribution market is, and as little realistic chance as most new breweries have of getting serious shelf space and tap lines, perhaps the calculus is flipping back in favor of brewpubs over taprooms.

On the downside, I'll note that Wild Mind and Fair State seem to be deemphasizing or pivoting partially away from their slow sours and wild ales, and some of the other breweries around town that have attempted to move in that direction seem to me not to have found as big of an audience as they anticipated (Indeed Wooden Soul, Fulton Culture Project, etc.). Also, fruited kettle sours have both stolen the thunder of slow sours and changed consumer expectations for how sours are supposed to taste (typically light, refreshing, and simple instead of challenging, deep, and complex). That said, for my tastes, there's not nearly enough of this type of product being made in Minnesota, and I'll welcome ONE when it finally opens deep into 2020 (after applying my "Double It" rule).

JMN44 likes this.
  14. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,313) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Unfortunately local palates have a taste for fruited kettle sours now. Hopefully in time their palates will appreciated true sours.Birch's certainly has not experienced that yet. And their one true sour blew anything else produced in the state to date right out of the water.

JMN44 and DNW620 like this.
  15. mdg164

mdg164 Initiate (76) Mar 28, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I will be flying into Minneapolis soon, any can't miss breweries in the area?

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  16. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (507) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Go ahead and post your question to the Midwest forum. We love giving recommendations to visitors. There are also older threads asking this same question you can search.

Chaz likes this.
  17. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,313) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Not sure this applies to you since I think you are up north but Hollywood Roadhouse in New Germany has several Drastic Measures beers on. The owner drove to Wadena and got kegs. A Gose, IPA, and a milk stout. I had the Gose and was not impressed.

Chaz likes this.
  18. KiddVideo

KiddVideo Initiate (99) Jun 19, 2015 Minnesota

I can't speak out of school here but we should hear some news in the not to distant future about some breweries adding the slow sours and aging sours to their portfolio.

tonye likes this.
  19. Bravak

Bravak Initiate (141) Sep 9, 2014 Minnesota

When are you flying in, and what part of the area are you staying in?

You’ll get varied responses, but generally there are:
    - places that, if you are here and haven’t visited, it’s worth going to. Surly is an example.
    - places that get a lot of hype and ‘herd’ mentallity love, but the beers aren’t as good as the hype. Not that they are at all bad (many times the opposite), just that the beers wouldn’t stand out on their own if out to a blind tasting.
    - hidden gems, or less trendy places, that produce outstanding beers but might not be in a hip area or might not be surrounded by 10 other tap rooms.
    - concentrated areas where, if you want 1 beer and then want to hit another, and another, you could target. Some good, some ok, a few really good, but tons of variety.
    - and a bunch of ‘Stay Away’ from breweries.

If you send me a PM with what you like beer-wise, where you’ll be, I’d be happy to share my opinions with you.

20. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (1,626) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Bad Habit in St. Joe has announced that their new location grand opening is May 4th. So looking froward to it, because their current space is too small, and always packed when I try to go there.

21. islay

Ashley Shram of Schram Vineyards Winery & Brewery in Waconia and the upcoming Schram Haus Brewery in Chaska shares some background story.

JMN44 and morimech like this.
  22. HeadRetention

23. islay

More on Schram Haus Brewery in Chaska: "If all goes well, [Schram] hopes to be able to sell beers in May."

TrailsandAles and JMN44 like this.
  24. islay

22 Northmen Brewing Co. in Alexandria plans to start brewing next week.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  25. BeerBoy

BeerBoy Initiate (131) Aug 6, 2003 Wisconsin

26. islay

It's not a brewery, but Jace Marti (of Schell's and Starkeller fame) is one of the principals behind Black Frost Distilling, in planning for New Ulm. The focus will be on beet-rums and whiskeys that employ locally produced grains and vegetables and mixed culture fermentation. Sounds promising to me. "If all goes to plan,* construction should begin this spring with production beginning by the end of 2019."

* And when has it ever not?

27. KiddVideo

KiddVideo Initiate (99) Jun 19, 2015 Minnesota

lol

28. islay

Chaz and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  29. islay

I've heard word of an as-yet-unnamed brewery in Fridley that could be open as soon as September. It previously was going to be called "Slobberhaus." At least under the old name, it was associated with a dog park concept, but I'm not sure if the dog park is still in the works.

Eastlake Craft Brewery in Minneapolis has expansion plans. I'm not yet sure if that's at the current, Midtown Global Market site or elsewhere.

Also, word is Schell's in New Ulm has purchased a new pilot system from a Swedish brewery.

It's not a brewery, but Wild State Cider opens on Tuesday in Duluth.

30. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (119) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

Here's a picture to go with the word:
    [​IMG]

JMN44 and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  31. brewerybuilder

brewerybuilder Initiate (15) Apr 9, 2019 Minnesota

Permits have just been applied for, construction to start soon. I have VERY GOOD inside info on this.

surfninja and Chaz like this.
  32. HeadRetention