Brewing Activities (2019)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (70) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Bottled my barrel aged beers (Rye Whiskey BA Wee Heavy & Apple Brandy BA Stout) the past two days and put the Imperial Irish stout and Oatmeal stout into them. Now I have two empty fermentors to brew some more batches over the holidays! Probably a Milkshake IPA and Black IPA to help lower my hop supply currently loading up my freezer (thanks to Yakama Valley's frequent sales!)

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,591) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Dark caramelized sugar fermentability test.
    [​IMG]

3. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (343) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Imperial Oat Porter/Stout/Whatever brew today

Batch 3 of this recipe so far

58% MO
    10% Munich I
    10% Oat Malt
    5% Baird’s Chocolate (added at vorlauf)
    5% DRC
    3% Crisp Pale Chocolate
    3% Carastan
    2% Midnight Wheat

Cold Steeped some Belgian Black Malt that I’ll add at the end of the boil. Also trying to make some invert #3 to add to the kettle as well.

2 hour boil

HBC472 in WP as well as a few ounces of coffee.

Midwest Ale Yeast

Target is 1.090.. we’ll see

4. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (148) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Hard seltzer :+1::-1:

5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,854) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Inability to sleep = time to brew. This one is inspired by ingredients on hand so maybe doesn't quite reflect how I would approach a Scottish Export or an English Brown if I were really aiming for style. Still, there is every reason to think I will like it.

3.25 gallons.
    OG 1.052
    IBUs: 30? (but hops are old, so probably lower).
    SRM: 17? (assumes my home made dark invert is 70 SRM)

5 lbs Briess GoldPils Vienna
    6 oz Avangard light crystal malt
    5 oz Muntons pale chocolate
    8 oz dark invert syrup
    .25 oz each Perle and Styrian Aurora at 60 min
    .25 oz each Perle and Styrian Aurora at 15 min
    US05

Target fermentation temp 65 F.

6. VikeMan

Not hard seltzer. I'm considering using a not insignificant amount of caramelized sugar in a beer and want to know what it's going to do to FG/ABV.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  7. Naugled

Naugled Savant (918) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

Are you making the caramelized sugar?

8. VikeMan

Yes. Shooting for fairly strong caramel flavor, with least possible fermentability. Don't know how practical that is, but I may soon know.

9. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (797) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Brewed up a CTZ and Vic Secret IPA today... OG of 1.061.

This one will likely be in the spunding/dry hop keg in 2-3 days, for a few days with 4oz of Vic Secret... Then crashed and transferred to a (well purged) serving keg much like my last IPA... Which still is holding up phenomenally. Def the way to go for IPA's with dry hopping!

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  10. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Initiate (56) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Bottled everything up last night. It finished out at 1.010 (OG = 1.058), final ABV is 6.3%. Tasted the SG sample and I am quite happy with the results! Will report back around Christmas when we crack open a few!

11. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (454) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Adding coconut and coffee to CCC stout

12. wasatchback

Trader

Pale Ale with HBC431 and a little Nugget yesterday.

2row/Munich/Chit/Carahell

Nugget for bittering. 431 in boil and WP, plus a little more nugget in WP.

Top cropped some yeast from the Robust porter I brewed a few days ago. Anyone here do a lot of top cropping? I would normally not harvest yeast from such a high OG beer but since it’s early in the ferment and there hasn’t been as much alcohol produced I don’t see why it would be that detrimental. Might get a little color/flavor pickup when harvesting from a darker beer but I doubt it.

431 is interesting. A little onion/garlic/earthy but some cool underlying fruit.

13. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (75) May 18, 2017 England

Bottled an American Wheat - basically the Jamil recipe but with big whacks of Olicana hops in. Tastes nice based on the sample although a) while the Olicana is pleasant enough it doesn't seem to be what you'd call a showstopper and b) the US-05 somehow managed about 95% attenuation and got it down to 1.003 - I noticed that the mash temperature got a bit low but that's unexpected!

14. JohnConnorforealthistime

JohnConnorforealthistime Initiate (60) Mar 10, 2016 Wisconsin

How did you make your caramelized sugar? I did an amber recipe earlier this year, I pulled about 2 qt. of first runs and reduced in a pot over the stove. Added it to the boil at 10 minutes. Caramel flavor was pretty unreal. I actually toned it down the second time I made it. Only took 1 qt of first runs.

15. VikeMan

16. skleice

skleice Aspirant (266) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

4 Gallons of American Stout:

- Bottling 2 gallons as is.

- racking 1 gallon onto coffee, maple extract & lactose.

- racking 1 gallon onto bourbon soaked oak chips.

17. VikeMan

I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out, particularly what brand of extract, how much you used, and how it tastes.

Jasonja1474 and skleice like this.
  18. VikeMan

Got ~41% apparent attenuation, which (after adjusting apparent attenuation to real attenuation) means that roughly 2/3 of the sugar was changed into something unfermentable.

19. Naugled

Naugled Savant (918) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Society

How did it taste and feel? Was it cloying?

20. VikeMan

Own its own, it was fairly sweet, with a heavy mouthfeel. In the (diluted) fermenation test, not so much. Definitely not cloying.

21. skleice

Home today, so I'm gonna brew up 6 gallons of Dubbel using my same succesful recipe from last year. Hoping to pull some more esters (Last year I did not have temp control.)

Lukass, riptorn, Jasonja1474 and 2 others like this.
  22. Lukass

Lukass Savant (976) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Brewed a 12-gal batch of 1.048ish OG pale ale this past Sunday, and split fermented with Hornindal and Simonaitis.

Maris Otter as base malt, with a bit of Vienna, munich and flaked oats. Hopped with Denali and Azacca.

23. GormBrewhouse

Warm weather coming Monday so,,,, back on the whole hop ipa trail. Version 10 or so.
    Bottleing the CCC stout sunday

24. wasatchback

Trader

Batch 100 of 2019!

4.5% hoppy Pale/Blonde/Session ale with all South African hops

riptorn, Supergenious, Lukass and 7 others like this.
  25. Prospero

Prospero Savant (960) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

First PicoBrew session:

Table Saison
    OG/FG/IBU: 1.046 / 1.011 / 29
    SRM 5
    ABV 4.6%
    Batch Size 1.4 Gal
    Single Step Infusion Mash 156'F

1.75# Belgian Two-row Pale
    0.5# White Wheat Malt
    0.5# Weyermann Rye

Jarrylo 0.25oz. (60-min.)
    Jarrylo 0.25oz. (15-min.)
    Calypso 0.2oz. (0-min.)
    Kohatu 0.2oz. (0-min.)

Lallemand Belle Saison Dry Yeast (1/2 pack)

26. Lukass

Hey kind of unrelated, but I don't know where else to ask... did the 'Other Fermentables' forum get nixed? I thought I remembered seeing that, and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Was it just not getting enough posters?

27. VikeMan

I forget exactly why, but the Bros shut it down.

Lukass likes this.
  28. pweis909

Society

Assembled my floating diptube and put it to the preliminary test. It did fine with Star San. Will proceed to kegging/keg-hopping Pond Hopper IPA. Planning on centennial and mosaic.

29. wasatchback

Trader

Trying to sneak one last one in before the holidays.

Modernish Pilsner

Barke Pils
    20% Chit
    133/140/149/162/168
    Sauergut for mash/KO adjustment

Blend of Saphir and American Noble Mosaic
    FW/50/15/3/WP

WLP802

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  30. pweis909

Society

Kvream ale? Just mashed in 4 lbs Briess GoldPils Vienna, 1 lb flaked corn, and 4.8 oz of Avangard light crystal malt (SRM 8), for a 2.5 gallon batch using a kveik strain that's been in my freezer for a while. I'll drive the temp to the suggested 80F. I'll keep the hops very simple (cluster, small bittering addition) to avoid obscuring yeast contributions.

31. pweis909

Society

What, I'm the only homebrewer this week? Hope you are all having fun with your "families" while I'm busy doing all the important beer stuff...
    :wink:

I checked in on the Kvream ale. Background: I pitched 1 gram of the kveik strain, at 72 degrees, and raised the temp 2 degrees per day. Here we are on the fourth day, at 80 F. I took a hydrometer sample and tasted it. OG was SG = 1.007, down from 1.056.

I'm not going to kid you. This tastes weird. There is an earthy licorice flavor, on a matrix that seems like mostly pineapple juice with maybe some OJ, of course, without the sugar, so you need to stretch your imagination. Maybe my brain is finding a ghost, but I swear this leans sour. Maybe I need to get a pH meter. No one would accept that this is a cream ale. Which is fine, because I was interested in learning about the yeast. However, at this low pitching rate and high temperature, I think you would be hard-pressed to make any beer close to style. I'll probably pitch something NEIPA-esque onto the yeast cake, maybe first weekend of 2020.

Jasonja1474, riptorn, Lukass and 2 others like this.
  32. VikeMan

I've noticed a hint of tartness in some clean beers brewed with Kveik strains.

Jasonja1474, riptorn and pweis909 like this.
  33. GormBrewhouse

again, not just you
    adding centeniall whole hops to whole hop ipa. will be botteling monday, planning irish stout for tuesday

riptorn, pweis909 and skleice like this.
  34. Lukass

I wussed out on my most recent batch of pale ale with kveik. I planned on severely under pitching each strain, but ended up throwing the whole starter into each 6-gal batch. Now I’m left with a very clean tasting pale ale which I’m not complaining about, but have always been intrigued by a meek tablespoons worth of slurry going into each and getting some crazy esters out of it. Maybe with a quick extract batch sometime soon!

pweis909 and riptorn like this.
  35. skleice

- Kegged up my split batch NEIPA's
    - bottled various stouts
    - will be brewing up a Black IIPA that worked out very well last year.

36. GormBrewhouse

Request pale ale on Sunday all Columbus hops

37. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (191) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Brewed an English Brown yesterday for a club comp. Plan to experiment with a hazelnut flavor addition at packaging.

riptorn and VikeMan like this.
  38. VikeMan

My experiments with hazelnut extracts have been less than stellar. If you like the results, please provide details!

39. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (191) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Will do. I'm going with an Amoretti hazelnut compound. I've only used a compound from them once before (apricot) and liked the flavor but found it difficult to get a consistent mix.

40. pweis909

Society

Kveik kvass. Since the I’m kettle souring with some lacto capsules and adding kveik, it’s not spontaneously fermented, so some might call it a fake kveik kvass. Starting the souring today and will kill the bugs boil, cool, and add the kveik in a few days. In addition to a couple 1lb loaves of bread, I’m using some DME for fermentables. I’ll probably spice it up during the final few minutes of the boil. Last brew for 2019.

#1040 pweis909, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.