Brewing Activities (2019)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (76) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Last 2019 day of brewing for me and got a lot done. Bottled my first try at an india pale lager with huell melon and mandarina bavaria hops, moved the milkshake ipa to secondary on top of some pureed mango and strawberries, and brewed up a porter that i plan to move to 5 one gallon fermentors and add something different to each.

It's been a good year of brewing so looking forward to brewing some new things in 2020!

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,859) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Got the yeast pitched with 3 hours to spare. Straining wort out of wet bread crumbs is not easy. Kvass must be Russian for sparging cement. This seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a 1.031OG batch. Smells really good, though. The wheat, rye, and molasses of the bread are evident. The sour is pleasant. Collectively, there is something that reminds me of honey. I've had oxidation on my mind, so I can't help wondering if that is part of the character I am smelling. At least at this wort stage, the spices are fragrant; coriander, ginger, and orange peel were steeped at flameou, cooled t and held at 180 F for 20 minutes.

3. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,091) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Just now starting the mash on our 4th annual New Year’s Imperial Stout. Shooting for a FG of 1.035. Adding dutched cocoa late in the boil and some combination of coffee, bourbon, maybe vanilla, and maybe cinnamon at kegging. Gotta tread lightly with the cinnamon though.

4. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (132) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

[​IMG] First beer of the new year. Was hoping a new 2020 thread would have been started. This is my first all-grain beer. It’s a Northern England Brown Ale.
    8lbs Marris otter
    1lb British cara-something 60L
    .25 lb chocolate malt
    Had a local homebrew shop grind for me so not sure of the brands or mill gap.
    Used 1oz Kenting hops and 1oz fuggle
    White labs London ale yeast
    Don’t know if I hit my OG gravity the recipe called for. Seemed like I read 1.060 after it cooled and the recipe said shot for 1.043 will post pics when it’s bottling day

GormBrewhouse and Buck89 like this.
  5. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (150) Dec 25, 2015 New York

https://imgur.com/a/O2YFrhr Paste where you type. Don't use the link or image button.

#1045 Brewday, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  6. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (365) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Is it possible to get a 1.060 beer with just over 9 lbs of grain (assuming 5 gallon batch)? I’m guessing you misread your hydrometer. Congrats on your first all grain.

GormBrewhouse and VikeMan like this.
  7. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (365) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I bottled a mixed culture sour the other day that was aged on blueberries and vanilla bean. And that concludes 2019 brewing activities. Cheers!

8. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (76) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Plugging in those items into a calculator says you'd need 86% efficiency for 5 gallons to get 1.060. Certainly very high and maybe not likely but it is possible.

9. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,873) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yep, possible but unlikely, particularly for a first all grain batch. More likely, and I see this all the time, is that the wort was boiled down to something less than 5 gallons.

10. Jasonja1474

Trader

11. Jasonja1474

Trader

12. Jasonja1474

Trader

So I had a little over five gallons after the boil. I took a reading after the mash in and sparge and it was 1.050 which I didn’t think was right. I figured I just ain’t doing it right. I let it cool also. Then after the boil I read it at what I think was 1.060 when cooled. I added a link with photos. Also I forgot to put in my OP that I added 2lbs of raw honey at the end of the boil.https://imgur.com/a/XAYoTwi

13. riptorn

riptorn Aspirant (281) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

What was the wort temp when you read the hydrometer, and did you use a gravity correction calculator to adjust hydrometer reading? That might make a considerable difference if your wort was well above 100°.
    Did the recipe call for the 2 lbs of honey? If I entered it correctly in BrewCipher that would add about 14 points.

Jasonja1474 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  14. VikeMan

Society

Gravities actually read lower than they should when the temp is higher than the calibration temp.

15. VikeMan

Society

So that's at least one reason for a higher than expected gravity reading. Or put another way, computed mash efficiency would be quite a bit lower if accounting for the honey in the gravity reading.

16. riptorn

riptorn Aspirant (281) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

^ ^ What he said ^ ^

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  17. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (150) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Right click on pic, click "copy image", paste where you type.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (198) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

^for the 2nd pic, does that protein break effect the gravity reading? I’ve gone so far as to cold crash the tube, and then bring it back to room temp to take the OG reading.

VikeMan likes this.
  19. VikeMan

Society

Anything that serves to buoy a hydrometer affects the reading. So if there's enough material suspended in the wort, it could cause a measurement issue (i.e. cause a higher reading).

20. Jasonja1474

Trader

I don’t know how to right click from an iphone10? Can’t figure it out.

21. Jasonja1474

Trader

It was 70 degrees, no the recipe did not call for it. I was just experimenting with it.

22. Jasonja1474

Trader

Ok thanks, so I’m not up to the level of computing my efficiency and doing points yet. My question is I’m not sure what FG I should be looking for to know it is done. It has been 48 hrs in the Big mouth bubbler kept at 65 degrees per the recipe. I aerated the wort to that I have in the past. I still haven’t seen and signs of fermentation yet. The yeast pack said it still good. At what point would I get another pack and pitch it and I didn’t use a yeast starter either. I will next pitch. I let it rise to room temp 70 degrees over night before pitching as well?

23. Jasonja1474

Trader

So would I benefit from running it through a coffee filter while filling the tube?

24. VikeMan

Society

Well, the way to know for sure is to take 2 gravity readings 2-3 days apart and see if they are the same and in the area of the expected FG.

But to predict about where it should be done, I'd enter your grain bill (including the honey), the yeast strain, the mash temp and the mash length into BrewCipher, then use the scale button to scale it to a 1.060 OG. Then (if necessary, and it probably will be), re-input the honey back to 2 lbs, and repeat the scaling until you have both a 1.060 OG and 2 lbs of honey. It will likely take a couple of iterations. Don't worry that the scaled grain amounts will be different than what you used (because of a difference in efficiency). They'll still be proportional to each other. But the honey needs to be a constant (2 lbs) because it was not mashed. Next, look at the predicted FG near the bottom of the sheet. This is all actually easier than it sounds.

Well, it sounds like you didn't make a starter, so there may just be a natural delay. I would be in no hurry to repitch unless this goes on for another 24 hours and a gravity reading confirms no attenuation. I'd also probably bump the wort temp up a couple of degrees.

#1064 VikeMan, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Jasonja1474 and Eggman20 like this.
  25. VikeMan

Society

Ideally, I'd try to pull a clean sample. But if there were a lot of junk in it, I suppose a coffee filter could do the trick.

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  26. Jasonja1474

Trader

Thanks @VikeMan you are super helpful!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.