Brewing Activities (2019)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (193) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Trappist Single going into the keg.

[​IMG]

Mongrel, Maestro0708, SABERG and 5 others like this.
  2. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (468) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

sugarin is over so brewing time is here again. brewed message recieved double ipa,,,,,tho my clamp on the imersion chiller sorta kinda failed and a 5 gal batch is now a 6.25 gal batch so not a double anymore.

SABERG, Buck89, 209Hill and 3 others like this.
  3. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (366) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I did that once. Ended up boiling off the extra water, which took about 4 hours. Sucked.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  4. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (355) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Reddish wheat

45 minute boil
    3# Wheat DME, 3# Amber DME, 0.5# dark DME
    0.75# C-20 steeped
    0.5 oz each Hallertau and Chinook 45 min.
    1 oz pellet Pacific Jade, 1 oz pellet Idaho 7 and 2 oz leaf Amarillo 45 min whirlpool ~ 165°
    Safale S04 maintaining ~ 64°
    3 oz Idaho 7 dry hop on day three

5. GormBrewhouse

big party coming up, soooooo
    brewing smoked magik,imperial smoked stout, sunday
    centenial IPA Monday
    Irish stout Tuesday
    and
    TH3 ultra light mega hhopped pale tuesday.

them will hold the bastards back.

Lukass, Mongrel, Buck89 and 4 others like this.
  6. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,861) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Did a diacetyl test last weekend and ended up doing a d-rest at 63 F for 4 days, ramped up again to 68 for 3 days. Last night did another test. Didn't notice any D, so I kegged it up today. It's a helles bock fest beer tweener (og 1.059), and I am digging the Munich malt from the final gravity hydrometer sample (slimmed down a couple points, fg 1.010, est abv 6.5%)

7. Arturo2

Arturo2 Initiate (37) Jan 6, 2019 Oregon

Is this your no boil?

riptorn likes this.
  8. Arturo2

[image]

[image]

Restraint pays off sometimes.
    Totally quaffable.
    Easy drinking.
    Just the right amount of hop bitterness/flavor/aroma.
    And Vienna once again stakes a claim for best base malt.
    Fermented with WLP090 it’s almost lager-like.
    Beer for people who don’t drink beer.
    And people who do.

9. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (77) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Brewed up a kolsch today. Made my first attempt a couple months ago and it was good but not great. Hoping this attempt turns out great! Made my first pastry stout last weekend and will likely move it to secondary tomorrow. Will add a lot of cacao nibs, vanilla, and cinnamon to it. Originally planned to add peppers to it as well but will likely just make a tincture to add to the last gallon at bottling

10. riptorn

Society Trader

It was the base for the no-boil and the original goal was 3 hours setup to cleanup. The weather was good to boil so I succumbed.....it took 4 hrs 15 min all-in.

11. riptorn

Society Trader

I would think so.....unless they're like the guy my old buddies used to run with.

#331 riptorn, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  12. GormBrewhouse

Yeah I got a couple of them left, luckily they hate each other so never show up on the same day.

deadwolfbones and riptorn like this.
  13. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (348) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Kout 10 “clone” attempt. Based off as much info as I’ve been able to find on the recipe and process.

Czech Pilsner malt
    3% Carahell
    Double Decoction
    2 Hour Boil
    Saaz @ FW, 75, 30
    Blend of 2278/2001
    1.040/1.010 hopefully

Plan is to pull about a gallon to krausen two other lagers. One that’s done lagering and the other that’s about to be lagered.

GormBrewhouse, skleice and riptorn like this.
  14. argock

argock Poo-Bah (3,342) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia
    Society

Brewed the CYBI BP Calico Amber clone yesterday with active starter of Wyeast 1098. I got lazy for a period and kept using dry US-05 — after brewing the LFL Double Sunshine Clone and trying it alongside Tree House Haze, man that was an eye-opener — my beer was underattenuated with that peach candy ester. Tried alongside a top-tier offering, it was clear something was off. So going back to Wyeast and starters. Also kegged Janet’s Brown Ale and my Munich Helles (W-34/70 is a different story compared to US-05 — have not had a bad experience yet) last week. Need to crank out a few more lagers before summer hits.

Eggman20, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  15. Arturo2

Racked the White IPA to a carboy to make room for one last beer before I go on a little hiatus. Six 5 gallon beers brewed in 2019 with mostly me drinking them so that's a good thing.

Amarillo Pale. Just pale malt plus a drop of C20 and Carapils. Used the extra packet of SD Super I had in the fridge with no starter but I think it will attenuate just fine even at 1.056. Six oz of Amarillo pellets, mostly late. Easy drinker. Looks darker in the pic than it actually is. SRM of 5.

[​IMG]

16. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (56) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

I'll be passion fruiting my berliner tomorrow, bottling a barleywine and brewing a citrus saison (2 tablespoons of zest and 1 cup of juice added at whirlpool).

Lukass, riptorn, Eggman20 and 2 others like this.
  17. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (153) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Came up with a easier way to bottle. I have the co2 hooked up at the top that i turn on/off when needed and the filter keeps most of the junk out. Also trying the sugar cubes so we'll see how it turns out.

[​IMG]

18. wasatchback

Trader

Took a swing at my first big stout last night. Aiming for one of the more modern big bodied beers. Degassed a Double Shot this week and FG was 1.045 for a 8.8% beer. I’ve gotten similar reading from Trilliums beers in that ABV range as well.

Golden Promise
    Munich II
    Simpson’s Medium Crystal
    Bairds Dark Crystal
    Baird’s Dark Chocolate
    Castle Black
    Carapils
    Lactose/DME

3 Hour boil

4ml hopshot at 90

1oz Coava coffee at 180

Depending on how it turns out it will be some
    amount of maple syrup and the end of fermentation. Plan is to take some super dark grade and reduce it way down. Probably some more coffee in conditioning as well.

[​IMG]

GormBrewhouse, Buck89, frozyn and 6 others like this.
  19. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (366) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Bottled 3 gallons of a sour aged on black currants today.

Plan to brew in the next couple days as well. This one will be a kettle sour with guava purée and orange peel. Souring in the form of Goodbelly. Also adding lactose for more body and some residual sweetness.

20. skleice

skleice Aspirant (272) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Tomorrow I'm brewing up yet another GF pale ale. I'm building off of what I've learned from my SMaSH brews and adding 10% buckwheat to see what flavor it offers and it's effect on body and head retention. Enigma/BRY-97.

On Saturday, I'm brewing up a 1 gallon batch of a GF Porter. Upping the dark malts and adding some oats to get more roasted flavor and a bit more body.

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  21. wasatchback

Trader

Small experimental batch today.

IPA of sorts with a blend of QA23 wine yeast and a few Brett strains. Really test out this whole biotransformation thing.

22. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (529) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

My plans are always fluid, so instead of the Pils I planned to brew this weekend, I am starting my Apricot and Mango Sour today… Pils/Wheat grist to OG of 1.045 or so. Will sour with Goodbelly until Sunday, in which I will do the boil/chill and ferment out with US-05. Will also have 1# of Lactose in this one, added during the boil. Will add about 1-2 IBU worth of Exp. Stonefruit (1/2oz at flameout).

Before it reaches FG, will move into a keg on top of 3# of Apricot and 2-3# of Champagne Mango puree, additional lactic acid to reach my desired pH and allow to ferment (and spund) in the keg before chilling/serving.

Excited to see how this one turns out. Did one sour before (Raspberry) and was quite awesome.

23. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,281) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Brewing an AG ESB, if all works
    4.4% using Fuggles and 1318 yeast
    Cheers all

24. skleice

Pushing my Porter brew to next week. Instead, today I'm gonna brew up a classic Cascade Pale Ale. Also, bottling the passion fruit Wit.

GormBrewhouse, riptorn and pweis909 like this.
  25. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,861) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Heating the strike water and crushed the grains: 60% Golden Promise and 40% pilsner malt. Will split the batch, half saison and half blonde.

GormBrewhouse, riptorn and skleice like this.
  26. Brewday

Dunkel Weisse using pils,wheat malt,spelt,carabohemian,carawheat and choc wheat. The Mangrove M-20 looks good so far.

[​IMG]

27. JohnConnorforealthistime

JohnConnorforealthistime Initiate (66) Mar 10, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

[​IMG]

Here's my latest IIPA, first double I've made. Came out really, really good. Columbus to bitter. Centennial/Amarillo in kettle. Mosaic/Centennial/Amarillo cryo in WP and DH. Couple things I'd change is mix the cryo with T90 pellets. They're almost too clean for my taste. It was also 90% 2-row/10% vienna. I think I'd bump up the vienna up to 20%-ish. Not really getting many miles out of it.

As for new brews, it is my dad's birthday this week. So Saturday we brewed an amber which is his favor beer. 2-row, carastan, British 77L, and some biscuit. We pulled about 2 quarts and boiled it down for increase complexity. The boiled down wort tasted like malty caramel. Pretty amazing and really excited to get this one in the keg. Should come in right around 5.3% abv so perfect!

28. the_owl

the_owl Initiate (28) Feb 21, 2019 New Mexico
    Trader

Another homespun recipe I brewed this weekend.
    [​IMG]

I used the grain bill from my favorite local, La Cumbres Elevated.
    I was expecting a bit higher on the OG, but it came in at 1.068

• Wlp001 Yeast
    • 14 lbs canadian superior malt
    • 1 rahr white wheat
    • 1 Briess Caracrystal Wheat Malt
    • 1 Weyermann Caramunich I Malt
    • 1 Bairds Carastan Malt

6.5 Gallon water to mash
    14 grams gypsum on mash
    9 grams gypsum in sparge
    7 gallon boil size
    Carrageenan tab at 5 minutes
    Whirl pool 25 minutes
    • Extract 5ml at 90 mins
    • .5 mosiac cryo at 90 mins
    • 2 oz strata and medusa at 5 min
    • 2 oz strata Medusa at flame out
    • 1 oz whole cone Simcoe at flame out
    • .5 oz Amarillo at 200 deg
    • .5 oz centennial at 200
    • .5 oz Chinook at 200
    • 1oz Simcoe at 180
    • 1oz strata at 180
    • .5 Chinook at 180
    • 1.5 strata at 10 days
    • 1.5 Medusa at 10 days
    • .5 mosiac cryo at 14 days
    • 1 oz columbus at 14 days
    • 1 oz Nelson at 14
    Yes I like big hoppy beers!
    I have a Heady Topper clone that I just added my 2nd dry hop to. Ill bottle that on day 25 I believe.
    Ordered the labels too :slight_smile:

29. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,137) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

While technically not homebrewing, I had a great brew day today. I was invited by my friends at TailGate Brewery to do a Pro-Am collab. I planned the recipe with their head brewer a few weeks ago. We brewed a West Coast IPA (2 turns) on their 8 bbl system and made a game-time decision to ferment with Kveik, pitching at 85 (!). Standard grain bill plus some Carapils Copper Malt for color. Hops included Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra. Damn that was fun.
    [​IMG]
    Really cool to see how they pitch yeast using a completely closed system.
    [​IMG]

MrOH, riptorn, KCUnited and 8 others like this.
  30. Buck89

Society Trader

Just a quick update on the Kveik. OG was 13 P and it's now at 2.3 P after 24 hours. Amazing.

31. Brewday

Now that you have experience would you start a Brewery.

32. Buck89

Society Trader

If I were younger, maybe. Definitely would be a LOT of work and a huge commitment with little payoff at least at first.
    I'm content with my current job and enjoy the hobby immensely, so no.

MrOH, 209Hill, riptorn and 1 other person like this.
  33. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (529) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Got my sour into a keg this morning about 10 days after brewing it, still about 4 points from FG. All fruit went right into the keg so it will be spunding/carbonating the next week or so. I used three pounds of Apricot puree and then about 7 fresh mangos juiced.

Sour had a pH of 3.3, give or take into the keg. 5.1% ABV. Has a pound of lactose in it, as well. FG of 1.015 (result of FFT).

Should be on within 2 or 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one. It's been too long since I have done a sour!

34. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (193) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I brewed a cherry wit last weekend for a club event. I used Mahlab late in the boil which was a total unknown as I've had zero exposure to it in the past. I'm planning to add cherry concentrate at some point, but I took a sample today and was pleasantly surprised. It smelled and tasted a bit like a cherry flavored cookie, dare I say a pastry wit. Anyway, brewed this with the intent of a low abv, red wine looking beer to get crushed at an outdoor club event I can't even attend and am now looking forward to drinking some myself.

Buck89, MrOH, GormBrewhouse and 2 others like this.
  35. skleice

Last day of vacation, so brew time...

Today is a GF NEIPA with a blend of Galaxy, Amarillo & Simcoe. In a few weeks, I'll have 3 beers in which I changed one ingredient in the grain bill in hopes of seeing what each contributes to flavor, body and head retention.

Buck89, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  36. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (762) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

Brewed a gose over the long weekend. Mashed on Thursday night, hit it with Goodbelly juice and let it stew for 48 hours. Did a 30 minute boil on Saturday night. Plan was to produce 6 gals at 1.047 OG. Ended up with 5 gals at 1.054 OG :thinking_face:

Anyway, split it into two carboys and added WyEast German Ale yeast (1007). After primary is about finished, I'll add a few pounds of blackberries and blueberries to one, and give the other a "lemon meringue" treatment -- meyer lemon juice & zest, lactose, and maybe a lil vanilla?

37. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (736) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Saturday I whipped through a laid back and simple brewday. 4# Vienna, 2# Vienna Rye Malt, 3oz Columbus in the WP, 20 minute boil, left the Columbus in and put the lid on, left to chill until the next morning. Racked 5 gallons of 1.031 OG wort into my bucket with my Nectarine Blossom yeast at 84*F, rocking away with in hours. I will keg it up next weekend. Should be a nice, easy drinking, aromatic Saison at 3.7% ABV, perfect for working in the yard on the warm days ahead. Calling this one Let Me Ryed.

38. riptorn

Society Trader

A search suggests you're coming up on two years since wrangling that yeast
    What generation is this, or did you snag some more in 2018?

39. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (736) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Continuing to pitch and repitch. This batch actually got a fresh pitch from when it was at Gen 4. I got sloppy on saving yeast and not marking it. Didn't want to risk pitching the wrong yeast so I grabbed a vial I had stashed away and woke it up. If I would have marked the saved yeast from the previous batch I would be on Gen 7 or 8 now.

Jesse14, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  40. GormBrewhouse

Bottleing brown ale and a west coast ipa

Eggman20, riptorn and skleice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.