Brewing Activities (2020)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by wasatchback, Jan 1, 2020.

1. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,911) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Mash water is heating for Easy Red, a simple American amber ale I started thinking about the last time I drank a bottle of Celebration, back in December. Not a clone. Grist is 94% Viking pale malt, 4% Viking Caramel 100 (38L?), 2% Viking pearled black malt. I pulled out some Nugget, Centennial, and Azacca. Aiming for 1.049 OG. Software says 41 IBUS coming from 60 min Nugget, 15 min and whirlpool of Centennial and Azacca, which will also be used for dryhops. US05.

2. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (811) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Brewed a kolschy golden ale to use up more hops from last year, all homegrown hops.

og 1.048
    21L batch

75% crisp extra pale ale malt
    25% crisp best pale ale malt

step mash, 1 hour @64c, 30 mins @ 72c

75g Hallertau Mittelfruh first wort, 75g HM @ 30 mins

K-97 yeast

3. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (486) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Got delayed a weekend, but tomorrow morning brewing up my 2020 Oktoberfest. When that gets moved out of the fermenter in a few days, I'll be pitching on that yeast cake my next Rauchbier, which I just finished smoking the 7lb of dark munich malt on the smoker a few hours. Will now dry it out another few hours on very low heat in the oven (shown below) to ensure any remaining moisture is dried out and will brew that up next weekend.

[​IMG]

4. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I’m kinda messed up. Making something? Daughter was pouring in a mixture of 2 row, Munich, wheat, and oats from various buckets as I ground it up(unknown amounts) Mashed in with 7.5 gallons of filtered water with Camden and a dash of calcium sulfate and chloride. Plan I’m hopping with 1 oz willamette at 60 and a whirlpool of centennial and eroica then pitching my hornindal kviek vitality starter. Will dry hop with eroica and centennial.

5. Prep8611

Before you think I’m a fuck up check out the happiness on her face [​IMG]

6. Lukass

Lukass Savant (989) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Ha this is great. My 4-year old daughter had the same look on her face when she thought it was a good idea to throw some rocks into the boil on my last batch. Thankfully all was sanitized and it was a damn good IPA in the end

7. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,148) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Update: the beer finished at 1.011 in 2 days OG was 1.062. Dry hopped at 60 degrees for 2 days and kegged. Really happy with this yeast! Big citrus and orange notes [​IMG]

8. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (154) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

@Buck89 Which kveik strain? Looks good!

Buck89 and riptorn like this.
  9. deadwolfbones

Did you wet the grain prior to smoking? We just won a Traeger and I was thinking about doing something similar with a smoked Red X lager (50% home smoked malt).

Jasonja1474 and riptorn like this.
  10. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,148) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Lallemand Voss dry yeast. I pitched all 11 g dry into the wort at 90 and activity started in 2-3 hours. I may use 1/2 a pack next time.

11. Hanglow

First time using an iSpindle on my golden ale. quite interesting seeing the beer react to temp changes etc I've not calibrated it yet so it was a couple of points high to begin with. I didn't rehydrate the k97 yeast, apparently it starts a lot quicker if you do.

[​IMG]

12. invertalon

Trader

Yes, I basically just dump distilled water into a bucket with the grain to moisten. If I had to guess, for 7# of malt, maybe a cup of water? I just dump and mix until it is evenly wet. The first time I lightly spritzed with water but the smoke didn't penetrate as much as I want, as you need the moisture. So my past few batches, I just dump in until it's pretty saturated.

I then load the grain into my Green Mountain smoker (basically, a Traeger) and put it on cold smoke mode. That just runs the fan, nothing more. You could just leave the smoker completely off if there is no such mode on he Traeger, it just helps circulate the air.

I use two perforated pizza pans with holes in the bottom to help smoke penetrate. This time, I added a 3rd tray with another thin layer as I did more malt than usual. Doing smaller, thinner trays of malt is important as you get better contact with the smoke. I then fill a smoke tube I use for additional smoke usually (from Amazon) with pellet, light it up and let it go. It's about 3.5-4 hours of smoke with a single tube. This way, the heat level is very low.

Once done, I put in the oven on "warm" mode, in which I cycle that off/on to keep it just warm enough to dry any residual moisture for a few hours, likely between 100-150F tops. Then put malt back into a brown paper bag or bucket and let sit a week or so before use in the basement near the dehumidifier.

Smoking my own malt has made for a huge increase in the quality of my rauchbier. I have tried the rauch malt from weyermann, various briess varieties, etc... They do the job, but miss a bit of depth/complexity, likely due to freshness alone. For my smoked Helles/Kolsch, I use around 40-50% of the grist as smoked. For Marzen or more intense styles, 60-75% or so. It's pretty intense stuff!

As soon as I start doing my own, big difference in quality IMO. Reminds me a lot more of the goodness residing in Bamberg!

#732 invertalon, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  13. deadwolfbones

Do you have a favorite character wood to use?

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  14. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (372) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

5% Pale Hoppy Beer

2 Row
    8.5% Mecca Undermodified Wind Malt
    8.5% Munich 1
    4.3% Cara Blonde
    2.1% Acidulated

Simcoe @30
    Idaho 7 in WP
    80ish theoretical (I’m at 7000 feet so who knows)

HBC692/Centennial DH

Vermont Ale
    1.052/1.014 hopefully

15. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,252) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Bigger sand dunes than I thought in the Bahamas.

16. invertalon

Trader

Honestly, I have not been able to tell the difference between them. Just make sure to use a quality pellet (if using pellet) that is 100% hardwood, not the cheaper brands that supposedly use alder/oak with flavor "oils" of the character wood, I believe Traeger pellets are like this. Pellets that are actually the wood noted are Lumberjack pellets, Pitboss, etc... You want the natural stuff, obviously. For meat or smoking malt!

A few batches I did apple/oak, then tried a "competition" blend of hickory, maple and cherry. My last batch currently on tap was a hickory/oak blend and it's phenomenal. Using it again for my upcoming one this weekend.

I've been doing BBQ for many years... Pellet smokers, charcoal and hardwood lump, kamado style, electric, etc... It's hard to tell the difference, honestly, between various fruit woods or hickory/pecan/etc... Except maybe for say, Mesquite? It all just tastes smokey and delicious to me, as long as you have a good quality smoke it will be delicious!

17. deadwolfbones

Sounds good. My fiancee went nuts and bought bags of just about every varietal (mostly from Bear Mountain but also Pit Boss), so I'll just pick something.

18. Prep8611

Got at a flee market..... [​IMG]
    what do I do after I clean it up....

19. deadwolfbones

Ferm chamber IMO.

riptorn and Prep8611 like this.
  20. wasatchback

Trader

“Modern” Pils today. Loosely inspired by Timbo.

60/30 Weyermann Floor Pils/Rahr 2 Row
    8% Chit
    2% Acidulated
    Perle @70,40
    Calista/American Noble Cascade @10,WP
    Rocky Mountain Lager

Not sure what I’m going to dry hop it with just yet. A fair amount of some “fruity” American hop. Just not sure which.

SABERG, skleice and riptorn like this.
  21. deadwolfbones

@wasatchback So, no pressure to answer this at all, but... do you just drink an ungodly amount of beer, have a lot of beer-drinking relatives/friends, or make really small batches? Seems like you're brewing every day.

riptorn likes this.
  22. deadwolfbones

Also that beer sounds great.

riptorn likes this.
  23. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (382) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Continue on with your edgy self and chill down some Pepsi.

24. wasatchback

Trader

Ha

I prolly drink a bit too much but I also give a fair amount of it away. Not afraid to dump stuff that just didn’t pan out or is too boring to drink much of. I try a lot of weird experiments and try to learn from them and apply that to future beers. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don’t.

just never had this thirst for knowledge like I have with brewing. The rabbit hole is endless.

25. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (161) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

Buy an Inkbird and turn it into a fermentation chamber for lagers and such. Or just stock it full of beer and drink at will.

GormBrewhouse, Prep8611 and riptorn like this.
  26. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,950) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I imagine there's plumbing running through the side walls. If so, a keezer is probably not a great idea, and fermentation fridge is probably a good use. Or a bottle fridge, if you have a lot of bottles.

But if the plumbing is only in the back wall, I'd be tempted to turn this into into a unique keezer, with faucets in one sidewall.

Hanglow, Prep8611 and riptorn like this.
  27. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Prep, since you keg, I'll go with the farm chamber, tho a display of bottled beer in a variety of bottle and vintage would be cool.

Nice pic with daughter

Hanglow, Prep8611 and riptorn like this.
  28. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Bottling Irish, raking Burton.

Hanglow, SABERG, pweis909 and 2 others like this.
  29. pweis909

Society

Making some starter wort for WY2565 ("Kolsch-vid 19") and some lacto (mango ginger sour). I'll do the AP Kolsch on Sunday, I think, and the sour later in the week.

30. skleice

skleice Aspirant (284) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Bottled various brews off kegs to bring on vacation #2. All kegs are now empty and clean. Gonna do a little August dry out, but I'll be brewing to have beers on tap for September.

GormBrewhouse, Hanglow, MrOH and 3 others like this.
  31. Hanglow

Bottled my kolschy golden ale. Tasting really good, should be nice and pale if the k97 ever clears.
    [​IMG]

32. pweis909

Society

My only recollection of k97 was a split batch cream ale in which I compared it to US-05. US-05 was the <ahem> clear winner.

33. Prep8611

Don’t worry that will clear in 36 weeks .

34. pweis909

Society

While this Averagely Perfect batch is cooling to pitching temp, I kegged (and keg hopped) the red ale from the previous week.

This red is my first time keg hopping naked with the clear beer draught system. I've been afraid to not use a hop sack, but the last time I did, the float got tangled up with the hop sack and that obstructed me from getting at the last several pints. However, pre-keg hop (and uncarbonated), I have to say it has the makings of a really pleasant amber ale. Finished at 1.010, with a touch of lingering malt.

35. invertalon

Trader

Brewed up the new Rauchbier today and kegged the Oktoberfest. Pitched the Rauch on the Oktoberfest yeast cake. Be my final brewday for a while as my inventory will be stocked up for a bit!

36. Hanglow

Guess I'll have to turn into a haze bro, for golden ales instead of the usual NEIPAs

GormBrewhouse, riptorn and MrOH like this.
  37. pweis909

Society

I was just surprised that US-05, not known for dropping clear, won on that particular front. I was unable to perceive other differences between the two beers. As clarity isn’t make or break for me, I was happy to have twice as much tasty beer.

GormBrewhouse, riptorn and Hanglow like this.
  38. Hanglow

I got a bit of yeast esters from the beer when I as packaging it, something that I don't get from US05. Although whether or not I'll get that in a couple of weeks I don't know.

The clarity was similar to US05 when packaged and that does tend to take a few weeks to drop bright for me when I've used it in the past - I never fine but tend to have a fair bit of calcium in the beer

GormBrewhouse, riptorn and pweis909 like this.
  39. Lukass

Lukass Savant (989) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

I smoked 2 lbs of wheat malt over hickory for around 3-4 hours. Added to a Weisenbock and it was delicious, but I might dial it back to 1 lb next time, or just not smoke it as long. Hickory is a strong wood, and it was a meaty beer! Thankfully I had it on tap in the dead of winter.

40. deadwolfbones

Yeah, hickory is about as strong as it gets. We have a bag of hickory powder in our spice cabinet and you can't smell anything else.

Lukass, riptorn and Jasonja1474 like this.