Brewing Activities (2020)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by wasatchback, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Mesquite is worse.

2. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (371) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

Same basic 5% pale ale today. Going back to VT Ale after using the Ballantine’s strain from East Coast Yeast for a couple.

Going to attempt to reuse the dry hops from this beer on another beer.

Might turnout great. Could be a total disaster. Only one way to find out.

3. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (381) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Leaf or pellet? At what point in the "another beer" are you thinking about using them?

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  4. wasatchback

Trader

Pellets.

After fermentation and soft crashing to remove yeast I’ll dry hop beer 1. After a couple days I’ll crash and transfer that beer off the hops then transfer beer 2 onto the dry hops from beer 1.

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  5. Prep8611

[​IMG] It arrived. Going to make something today or tomorrow. I only have centennial, eroica, bravo, and glacier on hand so I’m sort of debating till I can get some citra.

6. wasatchback

Trader

Just use those hops on the hotside and dry hop it with the Citra when you get it. Never used Eroica or Glacier so I don’t have any recommendations but you could do Centennial/Bravo on the hotside then dry hop with mostly Citra and maybe some centennial. Bravo actually survives fermentation even better than Citra and has a similar profile when it comes to the compounds that make it into the beer. According to the recent YCH study its the third best hop when it comes to “survivables”, behind Idaho 7 and Mosaic.

I wouldn’t dry hop with a ton of it cause it can be really “flowery”, think Geraniums, with large DH additions but on the hotside it’s pretty solid.

7. Prep8611

@wasatchback im really trying to use the hops I got. I also have another pound of experimental New Zealand hops that are pretty fruity. I may work with what I have on hand. Thanks for the recommendations.

8. wasatchback

Trader

Which Experimental hop from NZ is it? 4337?

Prep8611, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  9. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (153) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

10. deadwolfbones

Also, drinking my own Italian pilsner alongside Highland Park Brewery's Pleasant Pils and happy to say mine compares favorably!

[​IMG]

Mine left, HPB right. Mine is a bit more malt forward (probably because of the 5% Mecca Grade Munich malt), theirs slightly hoppier. I'd happily drink both all summer long.

SABERG, Witherby, Hanglow and 9 others like this.
  11. riptorn

Society Trader

Amber ale
    43% Viking Pale Ale, 43% Heritage*, 10% C-20, 2% chocolate rye, 2% acid malt.
    Willamette; 2 oz FWH & 2 oz @ 5 min.
    Nottingham @ 66°F
    * A regional/local 6-row (~6°L) from Riverbend Malt House in Asheville, NC. They "developed the color and aroma of this malt to perform like a light Munich/Vienna style malt.” (~6°L)

OG sample

[​IMG]

Davl22, SABERG, Jasonja1474 and 7 others like this.
  12. riptorn

Society Trader

I added the Nothingham yeast more than 24 hours ago and no bubbles can someone please help is my beer ruined? :astonished: :cry:
    (opened the fermentor to a burgeoning krausen, replaced lid and all is well)

13. Prep8611

HS-1228

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/hs-1228

just brewed up a beer tonight using Eroica, bravo, and the experimental hop at whirlpool. Will dry hop with the same. Pitching verdant tomorrow am at 65 temp controlled.

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  14. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (810) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

I want to try this in a bitter rather than a NEIPA:grin:

Incidentally the head brewer at Verdant gave some info on one of their NEIPAs ( one of the better UK brewers of this style and obviously the brewery that Lallemande worked with for this yeast)
    https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/blog/verdant-ipa-yeast-home-brewing-competition/

Prep8611, riptorn, ECCS and 1 other person like this.
  15. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (452) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

My kegs of a Pale lager and NEIPA kicked this past weekend. I have a couple gallons left of another pale lager with Hallertau and dry hopped with cascade left, along with a czech pils. I Just kegged a SMaSH with Thrall Family Pale Malt and Sabro, should be able to try it by the weekend. August has me itching to make my yearly Oktoberfest and Pumpkin ale. I need to get another NEIPA on tap soon however.

16. riptorn

Society Trader

17. Yungcoolship

Yungcoolship Initiate (44) Aug 16, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

I blended a 2 year old mixed-ferm saison and a 4 month old saison on top of 6 lbs of plumcots. I'm planning on letting it re-ferment for 2 months until stable then bottle.

Davl22, nghiem, SABERG and 5 others like this.
  18. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (160) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

How did you get their malt? I’ve been wanting to try them but if I remember correctly it seemed like they only dealt in huge amounts?

19. riptorn

Society Trader

Yeah, breweries are their core (and maybe now only) customers.
    On a day trip to Asheville I stopped at Asheville Brewers Supply (ABS) at 712 Merrimon Ave. Neither Chrome nor Edge will let me access the ABS site, telling me “Your connection is not private.” (at your own risk, you can try www.ashevillebrewers.com/). Tel # can be found at https://www.yelp.com/biz/asheville-brewers-supply-asheville

Riverbend used to have info on their website for a couple retailers homebrew quantities. ABS was one of them and seems like Fifth Season Gardening (also in Asheville) was the other, but Riverbend isn’t showing in Fifth Season’s grain list. That's not to say they wouldn't try to get some for you.

A Riverbend blog post said they were offering homebrew kits (crushed grains, hops, yeast) and would arrange for pickup or shipping, but it was posted in 2014. There’s a homebrew contact email for them in the post; don’t know if it’s still valid. Or give ‘em a call, maybe they’ll package some up or steer you to a retailer.

Jasonja1474, MrOH and GormBrewhouse like this.
  20. riptorn

Society Trader

21. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Brewing another whole hop pale, this time using Columbus cascade and chinook.

22. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,910) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Checked the final gravity of my Averagely Perfect Kolsch. It came out at 1.008 as planned. Pale and quite cloudy. Flavor of the hydro sample is Kolschy. :grin:. I think I will keg this weekend, fine, and chill.

SABERG, Eggman20, Hanglow and 6 others like this.
  23. Prep8611

Just mashed in for a 3 gallon batch. 50% pils 50% Vienna. Hopping with centennial and summit. Pitching weistephaner liquid slurry.

SABERG, Hanglow, VikeMan and 3 others like this.
  24. GormBrewhouse

Chocolate coffee coconut stout tommorrow

Davl22, Hanglow, riptorn and 5 others like this.
  25. skleice

skleice Aspirant (283) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Getting ready for my first brew in the new house. Things are still a little wonky, but should go fine.

Gluten free California Common:
    Biscuit rice 4L
    Biscuit rice 18L
    Roasted goldfinch millet
    Flaked quinoa
    Northern brewer
    M54 California Lager

SABERG, GormBrewhouse, MrOH and 5 others like this.
  26. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,948) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Near disaster today. Was transferring a small sweet stout from conical to keg. Apparently I had opened the sampling/racking valve just a bit too far, and midway through transfer the valve's shaft decided to detach. A copious amount of beer hit the fridge and basement floor before I could process what had happened, reduce pressure, and get the shaft reinstalled. Since the shaft wound up on the bottom of the fridge and there was obviously no time to sanitize it before reinstalling, I do wonder what the bacterial inoculation rate was. But no sense stressing over it.

27. riptorn

Society Trader

That was my attitude this past Sunday when I disconnected the feed and discharge lines from my immersion chiller and moved it out of the way, and about a teaspoon of water fell into the kettle of cooled wort. The water source was an ice bath that had who knows what kind of nasties in it from the frozen water bottles and ice packs from the freezer, and especially from some saved ice from a recent defrosting.

Lesson learned; don't place or move anything over or across the top of the kettle that you don't want in the kettle.

28. GormBrewhouse

@VikeMan ,
    Bacterial infection rate, interesting thought,,,, till I think of that dog slobber in my beer.

29. ithacabaron

ithacabaron Zealot (597) Jul 16, 2003 California

About a decade ago, a buddy of mine was using his chill coil when the connector to the hose went kablooie -- he ended up with about a quart of water from a corroded, nasty old hose spewing right into the brew . . . and it ended up being one of the best things he's ever made. You'll still have beer in the end, bud -- all shall be well!

30. ithacabaron

ithacabaron Zealot (597) Jul 16, 2003 California

I'm getting a low ABV (~5%) hoppy saison into 750ml bottles this weekend. I've got a very large batch of natural-yeast Gamay cold-crashed in one of my fridges; may dribble a half-cup into one or two bottles of the saison just to see what happens . . .

Davl22, SABERG, Jasonja1474 and 5 others like this.
  31. wasatchback

Trader

Same ol’ 5% Pale Ale today. Messing around with trying to maximize flavor and aroma from hotside additions based on the recent info released by YCH on “Survivables”

Millenium at 30

Mt Hood at 5

Millenium/Mosaic/I7 WP

Sounds weird. Hopefully it’s not.

32. wasatchback

Trader

First brew was surprisingly quick. Decided to go for another.

IPA w/ some fresh 2020 Aussie hops. Galaxy and HPA-016. Hopefully around 6.6%

33. deadwolfbones

Brewed a smoked Red X lager today with 50% home cherrywood-smoked Red X malt, 40% unsmoked Red X, and 10% pils. Loral hops all the way and a big starter of W-34/70 (4th gen).

This will be my first time fermenting in a keg with the Clear Beer Draught System and a spunding valve. Excited to see how it turns out.

Might brew a Voss kveik IPA of some sort tomorrow, not sure yet.

Davl22, Prep8611, SABERG and 4 others like this.
  34. Jasonja1474

Trader

[​IMG] Brewed Viking Ridge ver#2 today
    10# 2 Row pale
    .5# Breiss caramel 20L
    .5# Breiss cars pile
    .5# Flaked wheat
    .5# Flaked corn
    Hops
    2oz Cascade at 60min
    1oz Cascade at 20min
    1oz Warrior
    1oz Palaside
    1oz Cascade whirlpool at 180° for 20-30 minutes
    Gonna dry hop with
    1oz Warrior
    1oz palisade
    For 3 days after halfway through fermentation.
    Used the Bootleg Biology’s Oslo Kveik yeast cake from version#1 from a month or so ago. It has been in the fridge since keg day i took it out last night. No starter and it only took it about 2hrs to take off. I had 20 psi in the fermentor in that time had to adjust the spuding valve to keep the psi down. This stuff is a savage.[​IMG] According to my numbers I should have hit 1.071 but I only hit 1.060 so I know I mashed in with too much water. Wasn’t paying attention also I bought grains from Northern brewer so who k it’s how old they were.

35. Jasonja1474

Trader

[​IMG] Had to post a short video of how quick and violent this yeast is. Straight from the fridge and 12hrs later in the same collection jar to this. WOW

36. Jasonja1474

Trader

For to add the 16oz of honey I added at 15 min.

37. deadwolfbones

Gotta brew something this weekend to fill a barrel that's currently housing a Belgian golden strong that I want to package.

Who's got ideas?

Please note: This barrel intentionally contains Brett and some Belgian sacc strains, but it apparently also has pedio and other bugs since this golden strong got ropey.

38. wasatchback

Trader

Batch 8 of roughly the same 5% hoppy beer. First three were brewed with ECY10 Old Newark Ale. While not bad it definitely doesn’t let hops fully shine like VT Ale. Subtle tweaks to the grain bill (carafoam vs. under modified malt vs. oats) and different hopping. Tying to maximize hop contributions on the hotside based on the YCH “Survivable” data published this spring.

Today I mixed 2 row and Golden Promise 60/40 vs 2 Row/Munich 90/10 like I’ve been doing.

2oz Cascade at 30 with an acid addition right before to lower pH and extract less bitterness... hopefully maximize 3MH potential. Millennium at 5 and Millennium/I7 in WP @ 175. Never used Millennium before these last few batches but I know Toppling Goliath uses it a bunch. Smells interesting for sure.

Also trying a relatively low pitch rate for this beer. .5m/ml/*plato. Prolly gonna brew this same beer again but double the pitch rate. Interested to see how it compares.

39. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (272) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I've got yeast and hops. Now I just need to buy bulk grain. Las Cruces is a little closer and I know where the shop is, but it's too expensive-$85 for a sack of 2 row pale and they don't always have whole sacks in stock. Tuscon is a little further but much cheaper.
    I've almost got my shed built so I can move some of my other hobbies out there. So really I'm waiting for cooler weather in September to start brewing for the first time in 2 years.

40. Prep8611

@rocdoc1 jesus that’s expensive. Order from more beer in ten pound bags and get free shipping. I buy from my local Homebrew store but he only charges 50 a sack or less for bulk buys.

rocdoc1, riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.