Brewing Activities (2021)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by wasatchback, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (410) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Thanks @VikeMan! Appreciate the stoke! I think it’s with only two or three close friend bias 5 bottle cap reviews as well. Not a huge Untappd crowd in these parts. Partner has a lot of previous experience at a large production brewery so he deserves most of the credit. Couple of SNAFUs along the way but overall pretty happy with how things have come out so far. Only one beer above 5% to date. Couple more to come but we try to embrace the constraints of our silly alcohol laws so over 5% won’t be the norm by any means.

skleice, MrOH, riptorn and 1 other person like this.
  2. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (499) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

About to mash in on the Rauchbier I posted about the other day.

Recipe wise, kept it real simple. Ended up being 54% smoked Rahr 2-Row, 41.5% smoked Vienna with 4.5% Acidulated for pH. Hopped with a single dose of Comet (FWH) to 30 IBU. US-05.

OG/FG expectation is 1.052/1.010 for final ABV of 5.6%.

Just milled the grain and it smells unreal, a bit more potent than usual, IMO. Very pleasant smell, not acrid/harsh. Really excited for it.

Should have this on tap quite quickly, targeting by Dec 5th!

Eggman20, Lukass, Jasonja1474 and 4 others like this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,003) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Not planning to lager your lager?

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  4. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (499) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

It's not a lager, I am using US-05 Chico-Ale for this one. I figure it will ferment out in 2-3 days, be in the keg by then to spund and crashed and ready to go in about 10 days.

I suppose it should be called a "smoked ale" vs. Rauchbier, but by habit I kind of call all my smoked beers Rauchbier regardless if its a lager or ale :grimacing:

Davl22, Jasonja1474, MrOH and 3 others like this.
  5. Merlyn

Merlyn Initiate (44) Jan 17, 2021 Michigan

i had surgery that wouldn't let me brew for a few months as i recovered, then got busy with harvest and deer season, but stoked to get back into brewing! just grabbed a glycol chiller on sale. i hope to get lagers dialed before summer comes. winter is brewing season baby!

6. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,941) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Dusted off my beer gear for the first batch since maybe April? Plugged in the electric system and... nothing. My Blichmann Boilcoil isn't heating up. All the wires seem to be in good shape. Wondering how I might have messed that up.

Not seeing any other options, I dusted off my old cooler mash tun and fired up the gas to heat some strike water on the stove top. I haven't given up on brewing a bitter, but it no longer feels so ordinary.

Lukass, Eggman20, Jasonja1474 and 3 others like this.
  7. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Devotee (444) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon
    Society

Dry-hopped my Italopils and Two-Hearted clone today. Gonna snag some grain alcohol tomorrow so I can add centennial terpenes to the Two-Hearted after the DH.

8. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (123) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Well, I have been doing some more beers lately. I got a 6 tap Keezer, so why not. I have a Vienna lager spending two weeks in a Oak barrel, and did a bitter and dark mild this weekend. Next weekend I plan to do another Vienna lager to see what the Oak did for me.

9. deadwolfbones

Society

Brewed a 2-gallon test batch of vossaøl yesterday. Steeped 6oz. of western juniper tips in 4.75 gallons of water overnight at 158F. The infusion (predictably) seemed way too strong, so I diluted it by half before continuing on to the three-hour mash, and left the branches out of the mash itself. Boiled four hours, pitched 1/3 packet of Lallemand Voss at 95F. Tastes really interesting so far.

10. skleice

skleice Aspirant (295) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Brewing 2 single hop pale ales. 4L Rice as the base for each with an added character malt and fermented with US-05.

Brew #1: 4L, Munich millet, Eclipse

Brew #2: 4L, Vienna millet, Bru-1

11. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (530) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Assistant Brewers wants more, so today is ultimate run and gun brewing. Got little amounts,,4 oz or less,, of Munich L60, Belgian buisket, brown malt, black malt, roasted barley smoked malt.
    Added 8 oz of bairds chocolate 11 lb od marris otter and am fermenting with Be33. Think we will oak it ,,,,,,titled,,,,,
    Chocolate mess.

Lukass, MrOH, riptorn and 5 others like this.
  12. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (397) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Tomorrow I’m whipping together a rye farmhouse type ale.
    60% 2-Row
    20% rye malt
    12% malted oats
    8% wheat malt
    Hopped with Cashmere and Sabro. Fermented with Lutra (dry).

13. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,396) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Brewed a lager this morning with 100% floor malted pils, warrior for bittering and German Perle at flameout. 20 IBU, 5ish abv. Fermenting with Augustiner at 52F and Lutra kveik at 70F. Looking forward to seeing how these yeasts compare!

14. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (769) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Saison is finished and ready to keg up.

Plan for tomorrow is to brew a Winter Warmer. Pale Malt, Dark Munich, Pale Chocolate, Caravienne, sugar, Comet, Simcoe, CTZ, West Yorkshire yeast. Aiming for 6.3% ABV, 55 IBUs, 20 SRM, resiny, piney, grapefruit hop notes, and a dry finish.

15. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Brewed a Saison earlier today. Barke Pils, Wheat, Barke Vienna and Barke Munich. Magnum for bittering with Styrian Goldings for flavor. ECY03 for the yeast.

Next time around I will take @jbakajust1 advice and sour a portion of the wort separately and blend back in a few weeks later.

16. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (769) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Kegging my Saison tmro

17. skleice

Brewing a gluten free Russian Imperial Stout today. Shooting for 1.100 and ~10% abv. Fermenting with S-04.

Also kegging a Galaxy, Simcoe, Amarillo NEIPA.

18. GormBrewhouse

I’ll be interested if you can get 10% with 04. I never had good luck
    Making a high abv brew with it.

Jasonja1474, riptorn and skleice like this.
  19. OddNotion

Brewing a Bitter today.

95% Golden Promise
    5% Crystal 45
    OG around 1.045

EKG for most of the hopping with a little help from Magnum for bittering as the AA on the EKG was a little lower than I estimated when building the recipe.

Will be using Omega DIPA Ale (Conan) for the yeast.

jbakajust1, MrOH, Lukass and 4 others like this.
  20. skleice

Hmm, maybe I'll co pitch some us-05 or notty. Thanks!

21. GormBrewhouse

Nitty works well for me

riptorn and skleice like this.
  22. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Aspirant (204) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

[​IMG] Brewed a Kolsch last night. First time with this style. Used ECY21 Kolsch yeast. It drops fast, as soon as I pulled the started off the stir plate it dropped clear. It’s bubbling away now. [​IMG] [​IMG] I also added 2 French oak spirals medium char in too see how it goes.

23. OddNotion

Kolsch with that yeast is up for me next. Keep us updated with how yours comes out. Are you planning to lager it at all?

Jasonja1474 and riptorn like this.
  24. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (351) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Double brew day: Negroni inspired Flanders Red and a Sabro IPA.

Planning on letting the Flanders hang out on a mixed culture for at least 3-6 months on a sweet vermouth soaked spiral. Bumped the ibu’s a bit for some light bitterness. Letting it sit on some grape pomace, orange peel, juniper berries and rosemary before bottling.
    Grabbed a bunch of Sabro on sale this summer and have been looking forward to playing around with it. 2 Row, pils, oats, C-20, a smidge of Columbus, but mostly Sabro at 15, 10, 5, and whirlpool. Dry hop and keg in a couple of weeks.

25. OddNotion

Love the idea of playing off of a Negroni for that beer, should be really interesting.

Davl22 likes this.
  26. deadwolfbones

Society

You may need a lot more than 3-6 months for a proper Flanders. Everything I’ve heard from pro brewers is more like 2-2.5 years.

Davl22 likes this.
  27. deadwolfbones

Society

(Mine is coming up on that now and still not quite there, flavor-wise.)

28. Jasonja1474

Trader

Yes. After it’s done I’ll let it sit in a keg in the beer fridge.

29. Davl22

Trader

lol Definitely not shooting for anything pro, it's only a 1 gallon batch. In the past I've played around with 1-3 gallon batches sitting on bugs for 6-12 month and have gotten great results. With small batches of wild dark beer for some reason, I've had more issues with acetic acid production if I keep it going for too long in the carboy, even with topping it off and purging with CO2. I've had better luck with aging it a shorter time in the carboy and then letting it sit in bottles longer to develop additional complexity. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in a Flanders too.

skleice likes this.
  30. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (726) Mar 28, 2009 California

Toasting some coconut for a coffee, chocolate stout.

[​IMG]

Eggman20, Lukass, VikeMan and 3 others like this.
  31. GormBrewhouse

nice! I finished a 10 gal batch of chocolate stout. Split it, have with coconut, half with coffee beans and nibs.

happy xmas

32. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (726) Mar 28, 2009 California

Yum! Being able to Brew 10g and splitting it with different stuff is rad.

Lukass, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  33. Supergenious

Yeah, if using dry yeast, then US05 would be my choice for an RIS.

GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  34. Supergenious

I brewed a hoppy brown ale today. Technically a Brown IPA. I had a half pound of centennial that needed to be used, so went with that. This should be my last batch of 2021 (maybe).

35. deadwolfbones

Society

Yeah, acetic is actually a desired component of a Flanders.

Davl22 likes this.
  36. Davl22

Trader

Oh yeah, but not to the level I was getting. I want that good blend of sweet, sour and oak. Some of my past batches were too abrasive. I started blending more often to avoid it.

Jasonja1474 and deadwolfbones like this.
  37. GormBrewhouse

Banged out another whole hop ipa with the young brewer. I think he is hooked on brewing

38. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,396) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

Transferred 10 gal of lager to purged kegs, and hit both with 15 psi. Letting these sit for the next few weeks around 36F. We'll be out of town until the new year, so will be nice to get home and get these on tap!

39. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,941) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Dark mild kegged.

VikeMan, Jasonja1474, Davl22 and 3 others like this.
  40. Jasonja1474

Trader

This batch of Oud Brune I just made doesn’t seem acetic enough for me. I used ECY Flanders yeast. I dunno if I should’ve left it in secondary for awhile before kegging? It had about 4 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.